Help me with RTL8125

errevi

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I'm currently on OC 0.9.3 and ventura 13.5.1, GPU is working, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are working even if without apple continuity.
I'm becoming crazy to have the integrated LAN card Realtek 2.5GbE working. The chipset is RTL8125, I see it in the entries in PCIe tab of hackintool,
I'm injecting the kext and is loaded but ... no joy.
I have double checked BIOS settings, went through Dortania guides and setted the most, I do not know if I need a dedicated SSDT for my lan.
Can you please be so kind to help me out and check the attached EFI and ACPI Dumps, I have try to set it right but I'm confused so I'm asking help to verify it's correct.
In case you decide to help me with this, Thanks for your time.

My Specs: Gigabyte Aorus X670 Elite AX - AMD 7800X3D - 2 x 16 GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z5 NEO RGB DDR5 6000MHZ CL30 - Sapphire RX 6900 XT Nitro+ SE - 2 x WD Black SN850 - Wi-Fi+BT Intel AX210NGW

Last edited:

Apocoprezzo

AMD OS X Member
Hi friend, I have the same problem as you with the ethernet card, but in a slightly different way. I have a b550m aorus elite mATX and the ethernet port should work with the Realtekrtk8111.kext, but it doesn't. every time I start it the kexy panics and the pc reboots. I also tried putting the kext in S/L/E and in L/E but nothing solved. I am thinking that the kexts are out of date, and I hope they will solve this hustle!

errevi

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Sorry for late reply, as far as I know, the kext i'm using (LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext) should work fine with my lan port,
we have different ports anyway, your is 1Gbps, mine is 2.5Gbps.
I have try different methods, none of them worked, probably i'm missing something or my settings are wrong...
I have also try with bios settings (enabling and disabling above 4G decoding, resize bar, etc.), the kext is loaded correctly,
I can see the card in hackingtool pci devices list but it is not showing in the lan control panel....
I moved to Sonoma lately, same problem ...

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
That's strange I have 6 x Hacks running just fine with the Realtek 2.5GbE LAN chip, 2 x AMD B550/B550M motherboards with built-in Realtek Ethernet and 4 x Intel Hacks using PCIe Ethernet cards. They all work great with the kext linked below.

No other fixes, patches, boot arguments or kexts required. Simply add the linked kext to the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and a companion entry for the kext in the config.plist.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@Apocoprezzo The RealtekRTL8111.kext is available in many versions/releases and it is fairly easy to end up using an older or even the wrong kext with this Ethernet controller. The one linked below is what I am currently using on a couple of other hacks with a built-in 1GB Realtek Ethernet controller/port.

You can have Ethernet issues while using the correct kext, ethernet issues are not always down to the improper installation of the kext.

Installing macOS while not having a working Ethernet controller is always problematic, as the WiFi device ends up being setup as en0. This can cause issues with Messages, iCloud etc. as it expects the Ethernet controller to be set as en0 and the WiFi to be en1 or even en2.

Sometimes adding the Ethernet device properties to your config.plist can mess with the Ethernet's working processes, especially if additional entries are added, which contradict or provide incorrect data for the system to use.

About the only DeviceProperties entry I would use for an ethernet controller is to set it as built-in, assuming macOS doesn't see the Ethernet as built-in by default.

Below isa screenshot showing the Hackintool > System > Peripherals tab, with my Realtek Ethernet highlighted. Showing how it should be set and with WiFi set as en1. Both are set as 'built-in' by default so I don't need any DeviceProperties in my config.plsit for either Network controller.

Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 19.58.10.png Hackintool > System > Peripherals tab, with the Realtek Ethernet device highlighted

errevi

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
That's strange I have 6 x Hacks running just fine with the Realtek 2.5GbE LAN chip, 2 x AMD B550/B550M motherboards with built-in Realtek Ethernet and 4 x Intel Hacks using PCIe Ethernet cards. They all work great with the kext linked below.

No other fixes, patches, boot arguments or kexts required. Simply add the linked kext to the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and a companion entry for the kext in the config.plist.
The lates release of the kext you linked is the one i'm using, other than that I have no other fix running.
I am using AX210 as wifi, it's installed as ethernet port as you know, maybe this is the problem?
Another suspect I have is about Aorus Motherboard / BIOS, or maybe the card model or name ?
Thanks for helping

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Having the WiFi set as an Ethernet port might cause a conflict, but it shouldn’t prevent the real Ethernet port from working. You can test this by removing Itlwm.kext and the Heliport app, resetting Nvram and then install the Realtek 2.5 GBe kext.

The name of the device won’t matter, neither should the model of the card, as long as the device ID is correct. The name and model are cosmetic, the device id is the important part.

errevi

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk
I have try to disable the entry for AirportItlwm.kext in config.plist, I don't use Heliport, Lan kext is enabled already, resetted nvram and boot, no LAN
so I have also made the attempt to remove all Bluetooth kexts from config, resetted nvram and boot but still no LAN.
From Hackingtool I see this entry:
IOREG: IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/GPP7@2,1/IOPP/UP00@0/IOPP/DP40@8/IOPP/UP00@0/IOPP/DP30@6/IOPP/EP00@0
DEVICE: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x8,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x6,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

hackingtool.png
Is this the device ID you are suspecting can cause the problem?
Thanks

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No, that is the Realtek 2.5Gbe Ethernet controller (LAN port) on your motherboard.

Looking at the Hackintool > PCIe tab you posted I would say there was something else going on to cause this issue. While it is not unusual for a PCI Bridge device to not have a Device Name displayed, the other devices should be correctly named.

See the Hackintool > PCIe tab screenshot below, from my Asus B550 TUF Gaming WiFi Plus II motherboard as a comparison. The built-in Realtek 2.5Gbe controller is highlighted.

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 20.51.08.png Notice how all the devices, except around half of the PCI Bridge devices, have their Device Names correctly displayed.

Can you post a copy of your Whole EFI folder so I can see what you are using. Just delete the serial number from your config.plist before you post a copy here.

You should be using the Heliport app when using Itlwm.kext, that is the whole idea behind that kext, that the WiFi card works through the third-party app, not through the Apple WiFi app. Itlwm.kext gets the Intel WiFi card to function as an Ethernet port, so the Heliport app is used for connecting to the local WiFi router/AP.

Airportitlwm.kext on the other hand is meant to work with the Apple WiFi app, and behave like a normal WiFi card.

errevi

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I'm not using Itlwm.kext and Heliport, I use the alpha version of AirportItlwm.kext that is working with Sonoma, it's working through Apple WiFi,
bluetooth is working also even if without apple continuity.
edit 1: I've try to swap the kexts and use heliport and Itlwm.kext, still no LAN.
edit 2: I've try to downgrade bios from 11d to 8 just to try, but still no LAN.
Here i link you a folder that contains the EFI and more files from my build in case you should need to troubleshoot:

EFI FOR SONOMA

@Edhawk Again Thank you

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    29 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

errevi

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk could you take a look?
Thanks

Apocoprezzo

AMD OS X Member
Hi guys, how are you? Sorry to write after a long time. I will preface this by saying that I have dual boot on my setup so Windows 11 and Mac OSX Sonoma (yes I have upgraded to Sonoma as well). After a few months of trying to get the realtekrtl8111 working I managed to figure out how to get it working.

I first put the kext in the appropriate folder in the efi partition and enable the kext in the config.plist file with clover configurator

First I changed the kext internally in its "info.plist" file by disabling support for Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE), then I changed the "Network-Root" parameter to "Root" (I tried leaving it original, but it doesn't work). Then, continuing the installation, I deleted the two files "NetworkInterfaces.plist" and "preferences.plist" in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder. Finally, I emptied the /System/Library/Caches folder.

Continuing in the Opencore bootloader, I used the ResetNvram or ClearNvram & ResetSystem tools.

This was the only way to get the kexts to work on boot with any version. Now I use 2.4.2 downloaded from here: "https://github.com/Mieze/RTL8111_driver_for_OS_X/releases" or "https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/88-realtekrtl8111-binary/".

Now I have a problem that I can't solve. If I turn off or restart the hackintosh and try to access the hackintosh again, the ethernet card still works perfectly. On the other hand, if I turn off the hackintosh or restart it and switch to Windows, when I try to start the hackintosh it panics and crashes.

Have you ever encountered this problem? I have been using a dual bootloader build with I5 6600K, Asus Z170 pro gaming and R9 380, (Windows 10 and Mac OSX) for years and nothing like this has ever happened to me. Yet the hackintosh has been upgraded over time from High Sierra to Monterey without any problems.

P.S. Now you may wonder how do I start the hackintosh to clear the two files or cache. I bought a small 4Gb usb that I always connected to the pc with the EFI folder without the kexts inserted. I start the hackintosh with the EFI of the usb, remove the files and finally start the hackintosh with the main EFI. So far I have found no better solution :LOL:

@errevi @Edhawk

Last edited:

errevi

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I've just try your suggestions, unfortunately it's a no go for me

Apocoprezzo

AMD OS X Member
@errevi I am sorry that you could not solve the problem. If I also can't solve the problem I will try to buy a usb ethernet adapter, I have read that several people have already solved this way. Now I am waiting for an answer from @Edhawk :cool: for my problem, let's see if I can solve it.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Ok, one at a time.

@errevi where did you get the SSDT's in your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder?
Did you create the SSDT-EC-USBX.aml and SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml tables from your system DSDT.aml? This SSDT using the wrong IOReg address could cause unexplained issues with your Ethernet device.

Can you post a copy of your DSDT.aml so I can see what should be used in these SSDT's for your system. Use Hackintool app, navigate to the Utilities tab and select the 'Dump ACPI' icon (4th from right) below the main Window. Post a copy of the folder containing the ACPI tables (all of them) generated/exported from your system.

Your UTBMap.kext looks as though you may have a couple of errors regarding the Internal USB2 Header ports and the USB port serving the Intel Bluetooth module. Your UTBMap.kext doesn't include any Internal ports set with connector type 255. It only has 3 x USB2 physical ports included, as shown below.

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 19.42.11.png USB controller > 21:0:0 Ports HS04 & HS05

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 19.42.21.png USB Controller > XHC2 port HS01.
  • If any of these three ports are a Hub serving the 4 x physical USB2 ports on the back I/O plate, then it is set correctly.
  • If any of these three ports are served from a Motherboard USB2 header or the M.2 WiFi/BT connector then they are wrong, and should be changed to connector type '255' as they are internal ports.
  • Only Physical USB2 ports should be set with connector type USB2 (0).

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@Apocoprezzo so you have been able to get the Realtek Ethernet controller to work in macOS, this is great.

You are now having issues trying to boot in to Windows from OpenCore using the Windows icon that appears on the OpenCore boot screen, yes?

Does the same happen when you press the 'F12' key, when the Gigabyte Splash screen appears, and you select the Windows drive as the temporary boot option, i.e. not use OpenCore to boot in to Windows?

Have you checked that your Windows drive is available as one of the options in the Bios? Using ResetNvramEntry.efi can wipe or reset the Boot options.

If you have an entry in your config.plist for your Windows drive, try disabling it and see if that helps.
The NVRAM reset may have changed something that makes the config.plist Entry stop working with the address provided for the Windows drive in your config.plist.

errevi

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk I've got the SSDT's and USB Kext from a sample EFI for a very similar board, the Aorus x670 Gaming X AX.
At the moment I can not remember where I downloaded it, maybe from this forum;
after that I have adapted the EFI trying to optmize it to install Sonoma, and it worked ... At least the most, but unfortunately I have missed something.
Thanks

Attachments

• errevi ACPI.zip
    259.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

HKPhysicist

AMD OS X Member
@Apocoprezzo The RealtekRTL8111.kext is available in many versions/releases and it is fairly easy to end up using an older or even the wrong kext with this Ethernet controller. The one linked below is what I am currently using on a couple of other hacks with a built-in 1GB Realtek Ethernet controller/port.

You can have Ethernet issues while using the correct kext, ethernet issues are not always down to the improper installation of the kext.

Installing macOS while not having a working Ethernet controller is always problematic, as the WiFi device ends up being setup as en0. This can cause issues with Messages, iCloud etc. as it expects the Ethernet controller to be set as en0 and the WiFi to be en1 or even en2.

Sometimes adding the Ethernet device properties to your config.plist can mess with the Ethernet's working processes, especially if additional entries are added, which contradict or provide incorrect data for the system to use.

About the only DeviceProperties entry I would use for an ethernet controller is to set it as built-in, assuming macOS doesn't see the Ethernet as built-in by default.

Below isa screenshot showing the Hackintool > System > Peripherals tab, with my Realtek Ethernet highlighted. Showing how it should be set and with WiFi set as en1. Both are set as 'built-in' by default so I don't need any DeviceProperties in my config.plsit for either Network controller.

View attachment 12121 Hackintool > System > Peripherals tab, with the Realtek Ethernet device highlighted
My new mini PC also comes with a RTL8111 ! Thank you!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@errevi can you post a screenshot showing the Hackintool > PCIe tab, as shown in the example below.

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 19.35.46.png Hackintool > PCIe tab- fully expanded so all IOReg Names and Device Paths are shown

errevi

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk seems I can not enlarge the columns enough to show all the path, is it ok a IOReg log?
thanks

Attachments

• errevi.zip
    1 MB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.