Couldn't launch montereay installation for legion 7i

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Have a read of the EXITBS:START troubleshooting guide linked below. There are a few different solutions to this kernel panic, which one works for your system is unknown at this time, so you may have to try a few to see what happens.

redhorse1990

AMD OS X Member
1674258026967.png
The EXITBS:START could be resolved by restarting it again. However I always stuck here with another issue. And then there is a forbidden sign in my screen after here.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The forbidden sign is usually related to the USB port not being activated when control of the port is passEd from the bios to the OS/installer.

Try a different USB port.

You may have to switch the USB installer to another port, just before the forbidden sign appears for the system to pass this point.

redhorse1990

AMD OS X Member
The forbidden sign is usually related to the USB port not being activated when control of the port is passEd from the bios to the OS/installer.

Try a different USB port.

You may have to switch the USB installer to another port, just before the forbidden sign appears for the system to pass this point.
I have two USB ports in my laptop. I tired both, but it didn’t work. Do you mean plugged off my usb and plug it to another port during loading installer?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes, plug the USB in to one port, then just before the Forbidden sign appears, move it to the other port.

The alternative is to create a UTBMap.kext in Windows, which would then activate your USB ports in macOS and during the installation process.

1. You have 2 x physical USB3 ports on the rear, and 2 x Type-C ports on the right hand side of the laptop, yes?
  2. Each USB3 port will have a physical USB3 and a Virtual USB2 port when it comes to the USB configuration.
    1. The companion ports will be named something like HS01 & SS01, HS02 & SS02
    2. The 4 x ports all need to be set with the connector type USB3 (3). This is important, don't set the two virtual USB2 ports as USB2 (0)
  3. The 2 x Type-C ports will have the physical Type-C port and a Virtual USB2 ports, these ports would need to be set as Type-c+sw (9) or Type-c (10) depending on how they work.
  4. You will need to include the USB Port connections for your Bluetooth and Webcam in the UTBMap.kext
    1. You would need to set these ports with the connector type 'Internal' (255).
  5. So in total your laptop could have the following:
    • 4 x ports set as USB3
    • 4 x ports set as Type-c with or without switch
    • 2 x ports set as Internal.
    • 10 ports in total.
The screenshot below shows the types of connector the ports in your laptop will use.

Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 17.21.06.png

You will not have any physical USB2 (0) or Type-C (8) ports.

Here is a link to a guide for Usb port mapping using USBToolBox

Hope this helps.

redhorse1990

AMD OS X Member
Yes, plug the USB in to one port, then just before the Forbidden sign appears, move it to the other port.

The alternative is to create a UTBMap.kext in Windows, which would then activate your USB ports in macOS and during the installation process.

1. You have 2 x physical USB3 ports on the rear, and 2 x Type-C ports on the right hand side of the laptop, yes?
  2. Each USB3 port will have a physical USB3 and a Virtual USB2 port when it comes to the USB configuration.
    1. The companion ports will be named something like HS01 & SS01, HS02 & SS02
    2. The 4 x ports all need to be set with the connector type USB3 (3). This is important, don't set the two virtual USB2 ports as USB2 (0)
  3. The 2 x Type-C ports will have the physical Type-C port and a Virtual USB2 ports, these ports would need to be set as Type-c+sw (9) or Type-c (10) depending on how they work.
  4. You will need to include the USB Port connections for your Bluetooth and Webcam in the UTBMap.kext
    1. You would need to set these ports with the connector type 'Internal' (255).
  5. So in total your laptop could have the following:
    • 4 x ports set as USB3
    • 4 x ports set as Type-c with or without switch
    • 2 x ports set as Internal.
    • 10 ports in total.
The screenshot below shows the types of connector the ports in your laptop will use.

View attachment 9502

You will not have any physical USB2 (0) or Type-C (8) ports.

Here is a link to a guide for Usb port mapping using USBToolBox

Hope this helps.
Here is the UTBmap I used. Do I need to make any changes on that?

Attachments

• UTBMap.kext.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 1

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Short answer is no, it is not correct.

You have 8 x ports activated in your UTBMap.kext/Contents/Info.plist.
  1. As I said in post #8, your laptop has a maximum of 10 ports.
  2. You have set 4 x ports as Internal (255),
    1. When your laptop probably only has 2 x Internal ports, serving the Bluetooth module and Webcam.
  3. You have set 4 x ports as USB3 (3),
    1. This is the correct number and includes 2 x Virtual USB2 ports and 2 x USB3 physical ports, which is also correct.
  4. 4 x ports will be from the 2 x physical Type-C ports on the right hand edge of the laptop.
    1. You don't have any ports set as Type-c in your UTBMap.kext.
    2. Seeing as you are activating 8 of the 10 ports, at least 2 of them should be set as Type-c+sw (9).
Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 22.20.37.png Info.plist showing the 8 x ports being activated in your kext.

You need to recheck each port and generate a new kext that includes the 10 ports, even if you are not using the 2 x USB2 speed ports served from the Type-C ports.
Adding descriptions of the the port, or location of the port really helps others understand which port is being activated.

You only have 4 x physical ports so the descriptions would be simple.
  • Rear USB3 left or Rear USB3 right
  • Type-C left or Type-C right.
  • Name the Bluetooth module as BT Internal
  • Name the Webcam as Webcam internal
Simples!

Do you have a Type-C device to test the 2 x Type-C ports?
You may need aType-C to Type-A adapter to test the USB2 sides of the Type-C ports, this is what I use.

redhorse1990

AMD OS X Member
Short answer is no, it is not correct.

You have 8 x ports activated in your UTBMap.kext/Contents/Info.plist.
  1. As I said in post #8, your laptop has a maximum of 10 ports.
  2. You have set 4 x ports as Internal (255),
    1. When your laptop probably only has 2 x Internal ports, serving the Bluetooth module and Webcam.
  3. You have set 4 x ports as USB3 (3),
    1. This is the correct number and includes 2 x Virtual USB2 ports and 2 x USB3 physical ports, which is also correct.
  4. 4 x ports will be from the 2 x physical Type-C ports on the right hand edge of the laptop.
    1. You don't have any ports set as Type-c in your UTBMap.kext.
    2. Seeing as you are activating 8 of the 10 ports, at least 2 of them should be set as Type-c+sw (9).
View attachment 9521 Info.plist showing the 8 x ports being activated in your kext.

You need to recheck each port and generate a new kext that includes the 10 ports, even if you are not using the 2 x USB2 speed ports served from the Type-C ports.
Adding descriptions of the the port, or location of the port really helps others understand which port is being activated.

You only have 4 x physical ports so the descriptions would be simple.
  • Rear USB3 left or Rear USB3 right
  • Type-C left or Type-C right.
  • Name the Bluetooth module as BT Internal
  • Name the Webcam as Webcam internal
Simples!

Do you have a Type-C device to test the 2 x Type-C ports?
You may need aType-C to Type-A adapter to test the USB2 sides of the Type-C ports, this is what I use.

Oh, I formatted my disk after creating this kext. I don’t have windows in my disk it anymore. Will it affect use if I don’t use 2 usb-type c port?

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Hopefully not.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.