Audio Problems with Big Sur Firewire800 Pcie Audio Rme Fireface 800 (working in catalina)

lofi483

AMD OS X Member
Hi there! First Post! I recently test updated to Big Sur, everything is working, expect for my firewire audio interface, which is unusable. :)

Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 Bios F30
Amd 3950X
Sapphire 5700xt
Firewire card: StarTech PCIe 1394b
I am using pretty much olbos latest config: https://forum.amd-osx.com/index.php...c-0-6-5-gigabyte-aorus-master-x570.523/page-5 (just changed ram config)

Internal and hmdi audio is working fine.
Fenvi pci card works.
I removed the rme kext and reinstalled it completely, sip is turned off.

It is not showing up in pci cards in the mac os panel, as is the fenvi card, but it is working. So i guess this can be ignored.

----

Everything is working fine in Catalina.

My next logical step would updating to the latest oc version.
If anyone has an idea or can point me in the right direction, i would be very grateful!
Cheers!

lofi483

AMD OS X Member
hmm
file under low priorty..

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31154 it seems to be exactly this problem. "Mac OS Big Sur Beta 2 currently sees the device on a single chip (non bridged) LSI Firewire card - you can see the firewire card and RME Fireface 800 in 'System Report' and Logic Pro, Davinci etc... or Coreaudio System Preferences BUT as soon as you try to use the FF800 you get a big digital screeching noise across all playback/outputs channels (visibly seen with all meters 'up' at two thirds max volume."

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
:oops::mad:
Thank you, because, i planed to make the move....

Last edited:

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
hmm
file under low priorty..

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31154 it seems to be exactly this problem. "Mac OS Big Sur Beta 2 currently sees the device on a single chip (non bridged) LSI Firewire card - you can see the firewire card and RME Fireface 800 in 'System Report' and Logic Pro, Davinci etc... or Coreaudio System Preferences BUT as soon as you try to use the FF800 you get a big digital screeching noise across all playback/outputs channels (visibly seen with all meters 'up' at two thirds max volume."
have you try to change the frequency rate, it seems that will stop the noise

lofi483

AMD OS X Member
have you try to change the frequency rate, it seems that will stop the noise
this stops the noise when nothing is playing. When something is playing you can change the pitch of the noise via the sample rate setting.

I just redid the complete open core setup manually (except for the ddsts) for open core 0.6.7, same problem.
I am now looking at the install procedure by rme and system protection. Need to do some reading on how to find out if the kext is properly installed/loaded.

I keep you updated.

Last edited:

lofi483

AMD OS X Member
updated to Mac OS Big Sur 11.3 Beta 5, same audio Problems. Will try a fresh/clean install tomorrow in a more organised manner.
Edit: I want to add the the firewire card itself works with FW400 and 800 Harddrives. Have tested 2 FW cards with ti chipset so far.

Update: same issues with a clean install. I am putting my experiments on hold for now

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

lofi483

AMD OS X Member
Have you installed the drivers for Big Sur? Seems like the older versions will not work so newer ones are required, https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_fw_mac_340.zip
Yes, you can see in the first picture (top left) that it is running v 3.40. I removed it many times manually, reinstalled them, added rme as trusted developer, etc.

Basically the driver installs fine without any modification on a clean install. It gets recognised by OS X and the "allow" in security settings pops up on a new install even with sip enabled and not using the trusted dev list as mentioned here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30462

The communication to the fireface works and always has. I can control the preamps, settings, phantom power, word clock etc.
Just the sound is a noise blast an all output channels.
Tried 400 and 800 cables, no difference.

I think something with the timing of stream might be wrong but I have no knowledge of how this things should work. (rechecking kernel patches and ram settings would be a guess, and just a guess, and I cannot confirm nor deny any problems with the ssdt's, because I have never built one myself and used the ones by olbo)

In the manual for installing the fireface driver 3.40 for m1, it is mentioned that the firmware security should be set to reduced security but I think this is unrelated with intel and amd.

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Couple of things to check. Which PAT patch is being used in the kernel patches? If it's algrey's then try mine and vica versa. Also check your BIOS settings and disable the Serial option.

lofi483

AMD OS X Member
Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 15.59.44.png
I set algrey's to false and yours to true. Made no difference. The x570 master has no serial port or settings for in the bios i could find. I think this is handled by ddst. Found no reference to uart in registry i/o explorer. This is btw how the Firewire connection looks like:

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 16.33.35.png
Update: tried the same with the fresh install, same result as for beta 5, both oc 0.6.7

Attachments

• config.plist
    59.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

lofi483

AMD OS X Member
For documentation purposes: I rolled back to 10.15.7 on my main drive and accidentally booted into my Big Sur test install. Changed nothing else.

The sound was working fine, some stutter while moving the mouse, but it was "working"

After a reboot this was not reproduce-able. (same noise as before, connecting and reconnecting the interface changes the type of noise slighty)

Thank you for all suggestions so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 10.47.04.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-27 at 10.47.04.png
    810 KB · Views: 5

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
For documentation purposes: I rolled back to 10.15.7 on my main drive and accidentally booted into my Big Sur test install. Changed nothing else.

The sound was working fine, some stutter while moving the mouse, but it was "working"

After a reboot this was not reproduce-able. (same noise as before, connecting and reconnecting the interface changes the type of noise slighty)

Thank you for all suggestions so far.
ok, i made the test, same problem. I think, if Apple would no longer support the Firewire they would remove the firewire in the report panel. wait and see

VelvetRouge

AMD OS X Member
Finally I found the solution that works always!!!
I have a MacPro from 2010 with 12core 3.46GHz, running BigSur Version 11.4
First of all! Do not sell your Fireface 800!!
So here is the solution:
Connect your Fireface 800 to your Mac with a Firewire 800 cable or if you have a working thunderbolt card installed with the two apple adapters. Both will work.
Then do not turn on the Fireface 800 yet.
Turn on your Mac! (note: it is highly important that your Mac User Profile does not log in automatically!!!)
Once your Mac shows the login screen DO NOT LOGIN YET!!!
Now turn on the Fireface 800 and wait until the red HOST LED turns off!!!
Once the HOST LED is turned off, simply login to your Mac!
THAT'S ALL!
Do not ask me why, but this procedure works perfectly all the time.
And all functions of the Fireface 800 are available and working without a problem.

So, I hope it will also work for you guys!!!
Enjoy your Fireface 800! It should also work for the Fireface 400.

Regards
Velvet R.

Last edited:

lofi483

AMD OS X Member
Finally I found the solution that works always!!!
I have a MacPro from 2010 with 12core 3.46GHz, running BigSur Version 11.4
First of all! Do not sell your Fireface 800!!
So here is the solution:
Connect your Fireface 800 to your Mac with a Firewire 800 cable or if you have a working thunderbolt card installed with the two apple adapters. Both will work.
Then do not turn on the Fireface 800 yet.
Turn on your Mac! (note: it is highly important that your Mac User Profile does not log in automatically!!!)
Once your Mac shows the login screen DO NOT LOGIN YET!!!
Now turn on the Fireface 800 and wait until the red HOST LED turns off!!!
Once the HOST LED is turned off, simply login to your Mac!
THAT'S ALL!
Do not ask me why, but this procedure works perfectly all the time.
And all functions of the Fireface 800 are available and working without a problem.

So, I hope it will also work for you guys!!!
Enjoy your Fireface 800! It should also work for the Fireface 400.

Regards
Velvet R.
Hi VelvetRouge,
sorry for my late reply and thank you very much!

Yes! i can confirm that this worked with my 12.2.3 install.

I found out that basically turning the fireface 800 off, waiting 1-2 minutes, turning it back on, works for me and it seems to be stable after this.
I guess is was just not patient enough the first time around.

Sorry for my late reply again, but i have found no time for testing it.

Yesterday i updated to 12.6 via audiogods 0.7.4 oc efi, same as before, but the fireface does work if you turn it off, wait and turn it back on again.

I just loaded a project, and yes, Fireface 800, Big Sur 12.6 and Logic 10.7 is working for me.

PS: i had some headaches updating from 12.2.3 to 12.6, ( stuck on [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START] ) -> turned out that the snapshot produced by an old version of propertree was the cause, consider downloading and using the current version of proper tree.

PPS: it does not work perfectly with the on/off procedure, but for me this is acceptable and i consider it solved. Again, thank you very much!

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I tried to switch on the FF800 at the right before login, but nothing only this horrible sound.
The FF800 driver is well detected by macOs the total mix well launched.
I don't understand why this stuff can't sound normaly.

lofi483

AMD OS X Member
I tried to switch on the FF800 at the right before login, but nothing only this horrible sound.
The FF800 driver is well detected by macOs the total mix well launched.
I don't understand why this stuff can't sound normaly.
For me the login thing or when it is powered on does not really matter. (I am using filevault)
Try switching it off/on multiple times, wait a little.
The horrible sound sometime gets less horrible (sounding like a doubling effect)

Sometimes it works on the first off/on cylce, sometimes i do it 3-4 times. But it always worked stable after this.

This behaviour is sort of random for me, like you need to catch special state for it to initialise correctly.
It looks like it makes no difference if you are playing audio during the cycling or not (or wait until the noise stops (buffer issue?))

I have found no reliable procedure that works everytime right now, but i got it working every day (within 1-5 cycles) since i switched to big sur.

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
For me the login thing or when it is powered on does not really matter. (I am using filevault)
The horrible sound sometime gets less horrible (sounding like a doubling effect)

Sometimes it works on the first off/on cylce, sometimes i do it 3-4 times. But it always worked stable after this.

This behaviour is sort of random for me, like you need to catch special state for it to initialise correctly.
It looks like it makes no difference if you are playing audio during the cycling or not (or wait until the noise stops (buffer issue?))

I have found no reliable procedure that works everytime right now, but i got it working every day (within 1-5 cycles) since i switched to big sur.
What is your configaration ?

lofi483

AMD OS X Member
What is your configaration ?
still the same as in the first post. updated to open core 0.7.4
(should add this to my signation)
Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 Bios F30
Amd 3950X
Sapphire 5700xt Nitro
Firewire card: StarTech PCIe 1394b
64 gig 3600
and one of those fenvi wifi bt cards

AMDPUSH

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hey !!! it did it :)

mtm2022

AMD OS X Member

Hello,
Did you have found a solution for your Big Sur Fireface problem ?
I have exactly the same issue here. the on/off cycles dont work in my system.
Thanks for your reply,

MTM2022

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.