ASUS X670E ProArt | Ryzen 9 7950X | Radeon RX 6950 XT | MacOS Ventura

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Was previously running most of these components in an ITX system, housed inside a boutique SFF case. Loved the small footprint and how it looked, but I had the worst luck with many parts of the build with display port adapters crashing the system (I/O on the case faced downward), wonky GPU riser cable behavior, and the nail in the coffin: AIO pump failure leading to sudden CPU temp ramp ups and system shut down. Don't have as much time as I'd like to tinker so can't deal with that kind of thing anymore.
Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 2.29.16 PM.pngIMG_3393.jpeg
Components:
Motherboard: Asus X670E ProArt
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7650X
Cooler: Noctua U12A
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT, device ID spoofed to RX 6900 XT
SSD: WD Black SN 850X 2TB for MacOS, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB for Windows 11
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB DDR5 5600 MHz (EXPO)
Networking: Fenvi T919
SMBIOS: MacPro7,1
Case: Fractal Meshify 2 Compacy (gray)

The Build:
Like I mentioned before, this build was focused on simplicity and ease of use. I wanted to reuse as many components as possible, minimize mechanical points of failure, and also include some quality of life features. This means: no GPU riser cable or atypical I/O placement and no CPU cooler failure concerns. I know I'm leaving a tiny bit of performance on the table by switching back to air, but the U12A provides peace of mind, tall RAM compatibility, and it's no slouch either. Also, instead of digging around and trying to replace the onboard WiFi/Bluetooth as I have in the past, I decided to just go with the Fenvi T919 option. Lastly, and I know it's a small silly thing, but I've really come to enjoy using the DisplayPort input and Thunderbolt pass through. With this, a single TB cable connected to my CalDigit TB4 dock can be plugged into this machine, or my work laptop, or my wife's M1 air and all my peripherals and the display can be used with any of those computers. With all that out of the way, no major notes or complaints about the build. Standard ATX mobo, ATX case (compact, but way more space compared to SFF), ATX PSU. The biggest frustration was the amount of trouble with the latest BIOS and my two sticks of RAM! Nothing that clearing CMOS didn't solve but still frustrating.

For gpu, I had an older supported gpu on hand for the initial install process. Then, once MacOS was installed, I used hackintool to generate the entries for my PCI devices, obtaining the address for my gpu PCIe slot. I then added that address into my config.plist, setting 'device_id' = BF730000 and I set ‘model’ to report the 6950XT, but that’s mostly just for aesthetic reasons. If you're using this motherboard and gpu combo, you probably won't need to make any changes. Just be warned that this is in the attached config.plist under Device Properties.

Ethernet should work just fined with the included and enabled Kext, but be aware that I am using the 2.5G ethernet port, the 10G does not seem to work (fine by me).

What's Working:
  • WiFi/Bluetooth (disabled internal motherboard MediaTek Chip, using Fenvi T919)
  • 2.5G Ethernet
  • Thunderbolt- using Universal Audio interfaces Apollo x8 and Apollo twinX with Logic Pro, both daisy chained and connected via TB4 dock and no issues.
  • Radeon 6950XT with full acceleration
  • Using Radeon Sensor and AMD power gadget to monitor temps/performance
  • All Apple services (iCloud, iTunes, TV+, App Store, etc.)
  • USB map...
What probably needs some work:
  • USB map. Like I mentioned above, I am relying fully on the thunderbolt port to connect to a dock that has all of my peripherals and display. No USB port is populated. Creating my USB map in windows using USBToolBox was simply to get MacOS installed. That definitely does not mean most of the ports don't work, I still sometimes plug in external SSDs and USB drives and haven't encountered any issues, but I just want to give a full warning that you may encounter some unexpected behaviors that I simply don't have to deal with.
  • Have not tried Continuity Camera or Universal Control.
EFI:
The attached EFI is intended for sharing for public use. It is the OpenCore 0.9.3 Release version and suitable for Venutra 13.4. If using this resource as a starting point, please keep in mind that it was made for a 7950X system running with a 6950XT GPU. You will need to make the necessary changes if using a different cpu, gpu, etc.

Attachments

• PublicEFI-0.9.3.zip
    12.8 MB · Views: 201

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Thank you sir..

I have been dragging my feet building a similar system with this same Mobo that I have had lying around since Feb while waiting on my Fractal North case.

the case arrived in April or May but I have been too lazy to build another system "just for fun"

I will try your EFI, though do let us know when you have gotten around to building a USB map.

my media rooom/de facto daily driver hackintosh is an X670E Hero/7950X system, but I just hate that this Mobo doesn't have 10 Gig Ethernet.

2.5G Ethernet

is 10 Gig ethernet not working for you? last year I built an X570 Creator/5950X system and both 2.5 and 10 Gig ethernet ports are working after easy patching.

finally,

i'll be using a Nactua NHD15 v1. I have been hearing it is not as good as the U12, but that's what I have, so that's what I'll use.

thank you for your good work.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Thank you sir..

I have been dragging my feet building a similar system with this same Mobo that I have had lying around since Feb while waiting on my Fractal North case.

the case arrived in April or May but I have been too lazy to build another system "just for fun"

I will try your EFI, though do let us know when you have gotten around to building a USB map.

my media rooom/de facto daily driver hackintosh is an X670E Hero/7950X system, but I just hate that this Mobo doesn't have 10 Gig Ethernet.

is 10 Gig ethernet not working for you? last year I built an X570 Creator/5950X system and both 2.5 and 10 Gig ethernet ports are working after easy patching.

finally,

i'll be using a Nactua NHD15 v1. I have been hearing it is not as good as the U12, but that's what I have, so that's what I'll use.

thank you for your good work.
Sorry for the late reply, must've missed this notification! I haven't tried building a more proper USB map, but the posted one should be sufficient for at least getting anyone through installing MacOS! As for 10 Gig ethernet, this is one area that I haven't had a chance to make progress on but do intend to try it out! Just haven't gotten around to it. Hopefully will be able to get around to doing that one of these weekends and post the updated EFI here.

If you haven't build already, I think you'll be more than happy with the D15, especially if the other options us the U12A! Had it not been for RAM height concerns, I probably would've used the D15. If you already own the D15, I'd say go for it!

Tormod

AMD OS X Member
The AQC113CS 10GbE works with some additional kernel patches by @CaseySJ and enabling the ForceAquantiaEthernet quirk. That said, when I was testing OpenCore 0.9.4 dev builds, ocvalidator complained that the two-patch version of the fix is invalid (I forget specifically why), but the nine-patch version works well for me in Ventura and Sonoma Beta 2.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
The AQC113CS 10GbE works with some additional kernel patches by @CaseySJ and enabling the ForceAquantiaEthernet quirk. That said, when I was testing OpenCore 0.9.4 dev builds, ocvalidator complained that the two-patch version of the fix is invalid (I forget specifically why), but the nine-patch version works well for me in Ventura and Sonoma Beta 2.
The two-patch version is also okay. We can ignore the warning from OCValidator.

bluerose

AMD OS X Member
@ovenlite1 ,Thank you! I have successfully installed Mac 13.4.

Components:
  • CPU:Ryzen 9 7950 X
  • RAM:GSkill 32 x 2 6000
  • NVME SSDS: ZHITAI_TiPlus7100 ZHITAI_TiPro7000
  • Motherboard:Asus ROG X670E - E Gaming WIFI
  • GPU:Sapphire RX 6600

jacoweb

AMD OS X Member
Hey, thanks for sharing! I have the same motherboard and CPU.
I cant get the ethernet working, wierd. Any special settings in the bios i maybe need to do?

Have installed the latest bios on the motherboard.
And OSX can only see 3 M2 drives, i have 4 installed. All works fine in windows.

Never mind! Everything is working perfectly now. I dunno why but after i disabled bluetooth and wifi, it works! :)
Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 11.10.34.pngIMG_2909.jpg
One issue i have noticed with geekbench, i think the GPU is not fully injected, any clue?
Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 11.13.31.png

Last edited:

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Hey, thanks for sharing! I have the same motherboard and CPU.
Everything is working perfectly now. I dunno why but after i disabled bluetooth and wifi, it works! :)
Glad it's working:) I think because the preinstalled onboard wireless chip is a AMD/MediaTek chip unsupported in MacOS, so it needs to be disabled in BIOS. I am using a Fenvi add in pci card. If you've got the slot available, might be helpful for you, if you need bluetooth and wifi!

By the way, love the set up! The north case is gorgeous and I be those focals you have behind it sound awesome :cool:

I think I messaged you already about this, but I'll look into getting geekbench and seeing if my 6950xt is also reported the same way.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
The two-patch version is also okay. We can ignore the warning from OCValidator.
All, thanks for chiming in! Summer activities have limited my engagement here but I hope to update this during the weekend. A Radeon Pro W5500 also recently came into my possession that I am wanting to test out- not out of need or anything, just curious :)

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
any issues with the samsung 990 pro NVMe on your build?

so far I have used Firecuda 530 exclusively for my Hackintosh builds.. but the price on the 2 TB 990 Pro has me thinking of trying this out.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
any issues with the samsung 990 pro NVMe on your build?
None at all- but I should mention that drive is dedicated to my windows install only! For MacOS, I'm using a WD Black drive, which has performed spectacularly as well :)

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
i bought some.. I should be installing it sometime this month. stay tuned.

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Apologies for the lack of updates, my family and I tried our hardest to squeeze at much into summer as we could, but now with the kids back in school hopefully I've had a bit more time to update things. I mentioned previously coming into possession of a Radeon Pro W5500, but after opening up the machine we were salvaging it from, it turned out to be an older Radeon Pro W5100 (don't worry, we picked up the computer for next to nothing at a local university's recycle/resale store). So far the W5100 has definitely met my needs for MacOS. Additionally, the 6950XT was repurposed for the kids to use... so naturally I picked up a 7900XTX :)

However, I'm having a bit of trouble disabling the unsupported GPU using an SSDT. As long as I used the correct input on my monitor, not having it disabled has not yet presented any issues, but I'd like to clean things up a bit and if possible, have ONLY the W5100 recognized. I know that whatever mistake I'm making must be silly and small, but after quite a few permutations and failed attempts I'm hoping to get a second pair of eyes on it. Including a few materials I hope will help. I hope it's alright to tag a few individuals who I'm more familiar with, but please anyone feel free to take a look and respond! @Edhawk, @CaseySJ, @Shaneee- any ideas?

EDIT: including Location Path from Windows device manager, forgot to add it before:
ACPI(SB)#ACPI(PCI0)#ACPI(GPP0)#ACPI(SWUS)#ACPI(SWDS)#ACPI(VGA_)

Attachments

• ProArtIOREG.zip
    15.6 MB · Views: 9
  • SSDT-DISABLE-PA-7900XTX.aml.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 5
  • pcidevices.txt.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
You have both GPUs installed at the same time?

do they both fit into the X670E? you do not need the bottom x4 PCI slot?

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
HI Gents,

It's been an eventuful couple of days in my little corner of the Hackintosh world...

I finally decided to give my X670E Creator build a second crack. So far it has been a comedy of errors. some of you may recall from previous threads that the Fenvi T919 purcahased for this build came with a defective internal USB cable. well it wasn't defective exactly, but the wires had come apart from the plastic covering that connects to the motherboard.

Powering on this mobo I couldn’t even get to the BIOS b/c of some "overcurrent error." Well after having it sit on my test bench of several months, changing the power supply (to no avail), I decided to unplug the Fenvi BT Cable from the internal USB port…

And wouldn’t you know it… I got right to the BIOS!

Installation following that was a breeze… and, what’s more, Restore from a Time Machine backup worked like a charm! this system reboots on update a few to many times for my comfort, but you do make it to the desktop eventually.

Also.. having Thunderbolt when restoring from backup is kind of Amazing. I transfered nearly 200 gigs of Apps and data in less than 10 minutes. Thank god ofr time machine!

Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 12.59.00 AM.png

Now, I am using a config.plist and OC folder that was built for my X670E Hero build so USB is still a little wonky.

Also, troublingly, I don't have any Audio from the onboard Realtek speakers like I do on my X6760E Hero. I suspect I have to patch the layout of the audio channels but I don't know which layout to use. I also note that @ovenlite1 does not seem to patch his audio layout.. but I have never needed to do this in any hackintosh I've built thus far, so I am a bit of a noob.

while Intel i255V ethernet is recognized from my Hero build, I haven't tested it yet b/c this system is still sitting on my test benh where there is no nearby ethernet jack, I am a bit rusty on how to patch the Aquantia 10 Gig NIC. I will dig into the "testing 7000 thread" that has taught me so much -- or I will pull the Aquantia kext or PLIST from my older X570 Creator/5950X build that was my 1st foray into the world of amd-osx and hope it comes to life.

if any of you guys could give me a refresher course on necessary patches fror audio and 10 gig NIC, I would be most gratefuul

Aquantia Patches have been added to my Config.plist. I'm feeling very accomplished as I have never done this before. Both Ethernet ports are now active tho not yet tested. a freind is coming over tonight, I may ask him to move the system to Its final resting place temprarily so I can test the ethenet ports.

still left on my to do list:

1. add RAM -- 16 Gigs will not do.
2. change the clock speed of the RAM to 6000 MHz
3. Add an exhaust fan to my case
4. Add a second CPU fan to my Nactua NHD15
5. Swap the NVME b/c I may have installed Win11 on tge GEN5 slot and MacOS on the Gen4 slot. this will not do, and unfortunately they are both FireCudas so I can't tell which is whch just from the lable in sofrware. every time I look at disk Utility I keep changing my mind about weather I installed each drive in the correct NVME slot. annoying!
6. replace the Fenvi T919 with one that has working BT so that I can have hand off/continuity features and unlock with apple watch!

this X670E has been my dream hackintosh since I learned about the AM5 platform and after nearly a year of fit's and starts, and WAY too much $$ spent of computer hardware, my dream is slowly coming true. (waiting a year would have saved me a great deal of heartache -- and heartburn-- but lets chalk it up to a rather steep learning curve.)

one thing that this system needs is a USB Map. @ovenlite1 I may borrow your USBToolbox kext even though you don't sound super confedant about your work in this regard, but it's still better than my lazy @ss. :)

Last edited:

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
@Galve2000 Hey there! Glad to see you taking another crack at it! Apologies for being a little silent. Summer family plans led to back to school, which led to fall activities etc, etc. Hopefully I can address some questions here, and then perhaps this weekend work on posting some other updates!
  1. Regarding my GPUs: I do have both the 7900xtx and Radeon Pro W5100 installed at the same time. The Sapphire model 7900xtx I have is HUGE but the W5100 is single slot, so still fits:) Still haven't encountered any issues when booting with monitor set to correct GPU output. However you may be wondering how wifi/bluetooth is being achieved when this bottom slot is occupied by a GPU...
  2. Wifi/bluetooth: I'm no longer using the Fenvi T919! Because of the plethora of nvme slots, I'm actually using a spare intel AX210 module I had from a different board that I swapped with a Broadcom chip. Using this adapter, it's worked with the right changes to EFI: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WBXP632/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  3. Glad you got the Aquantia patches up and running on your own! I added that in a while ago, but sadly have just not posted any updates in a while.
  4. As for audio- you're absolutely right, I've done thing lol. I rely only thunderbolt/usb connected devices for audio, soonboard has never been a concern. However, I may look into it, time willing.
  5. Similarly for USB, because all my devices being connected via my TB4 dock, I don't have any USB ports on the motherboard in use! For most folks though,I realize this is not ideal lol.
Hopefully this weekend I'll have a bit of time to work on some things and/or post an updated EFI, but i'm glad you're making progress!!!

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
  1. As for audio- you're absolutely right, I've done thing lol. I rely only thunderbolt/usb connected devices for audio, soonboard has never been a concern. However, I may look into it, time willing.
  2. Similarly for USB, because all my devices being connected via my TB4 dock, I don't have any USB ports on the motherboard in use! For most folks though,I realize this is not ideal lol.
lol I just read this back and it sounds like a lazy botch job, and that is 100% accurate. if it works, it works, right? :cool::ROFLMAO:

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
  1. As for audio- you're absolutely right, I've done thing lol. I rely only thunderbolt/usb connected devices for audio, soonboard has never been a concern. However, I may look into it, time willing.

1. Similarly for USB, because all my devices being connected via my TB4 dock, I don't have any USB ports on the motherboard in use! For most folks though,I realize this is not ideal lol.

All very helpful!

I technically don't need USB audio either as this Hackintosh is meant to be my home theater PC... so HDMI audio is more than sufficient. but still, it annoys me that not everythinng that could be working is working,

I'll post pictures soon.. my build is basically "done"

I even updated from OC 8.8 to 9.5 and it went off without a hitch. u'm feeling super accomplished!

s34b4ss

AMD OS X Member
Hi all,
Newbie to this forum but greybeard hackintosher...
I have a very similar set of components to you save for one exception which is a Radeon RX 5700 XT.
I am having issues with my booting which are driving me insane.
build is:
Motherboard: Asus X670E ProArt
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7650X
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
SSD: WD Black SN 850X 1TB for MacOS, Samsung 990 Pro 1TB for Windows 11, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB for Ubuntu Studio
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo Series (AMD Expo) 64GB 6000MT/s

I installed MacOs Monterey on the SSD from a macbook, then I added your efi folder and removed the references to your gpu from it.
the computer posts, than goes to EFI picker than I starts launch process but stops here:
blockscreen1.png
I can't figure out what is the issue and have been trying all different bios settings but no avail. my impression is that I have a setting error in my bios but it is not where I thought it would be.

I must admit because I am an old school hackintosher I have mainly used clover since 2010 other hacks before, and have only used Opencore on my most previous build for the last year although it was never as stable as my clover installations.
So I have some holes in my knowledge here.
any help would be great.
Thank you
S

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
ACPI error is shown in the screenshot above.

Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 20.44.37.png

Do you have an ACPI table in your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder that uses the namespace 'G002'?

If yes, try removing or disabling the table. As it appears to be the cause of the kernel panic.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.