Mac OS install on AMD Ryzen (VMWare) Opencore

batmanbattleman

AMD OS X Member
Hi everyone, I own a Ryzen 7 4800H Series. I encountered a problem during the startup procedure, I click on sonoma and a list of parameters starts, and then I get to the following error (see attachment)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-10 122155.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-10 122155.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 83

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Look through the SSDT's you have added to the /EFI/OC/ACPI folder.

Search for an SSDT that contains [PSTA] device, with [_STA] @0001 #002D:

This SSDT is causing the error. I would remove the SSDT from your setup and see if that helps.

Mushie

AMD OS X Member
The FX6300 system is unlikely to be a UEFI based system, as most AMD motherboards of that time were using the old Legacy BIOS. So you may need to look in to booting it as a Legacy system.

The FX (Bulldozer) family of CPU's work with the OC Kernel Patches the same as the Ryzen systems do. But they require a different set of entries in the config.plist and a few different kexts added to the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder.

AMD FX guide - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/AMD/fx.html

AppleALC.kext doesn't work on the FX systems, I had to use VoodooHDA.kext and the audio was not great.

I also had to use XLNCUSBFix.kext for the old USB ports to function, most only worked at USB 1.1 (12mb/s) speed.

I have attached an old OpenCore EFI, which I used with an FX300/Asus Sabertooth FX990 R2.0 system. The Sabertooth FX990 R2.0 was UEFI capable. I no longer have this system to hand so don't have a newer EFI for this setup.
Thanks for your guidance but I think it is time for me to give up. My history is that I can successfully install both Sonoma and Ventura on my AMD 3700X with the files provided in the OP - for Ventura, I use all the same provided files but simply switch the Sonoma.iso with a Ventura.iso. All works fine (for my purposes anyway).

However, when I attempt to install either Sonoma or Ventura on my PC with FX6300/ASRock 970 Extreme 3 R2.0 (UEFI compliant) it does not work.."The firmware encountered an unexpected exception. The virtual machine cannot boot."

Since the PC with FX6300 is my preferred machine to run VMWare (for personal reasons), I have followed the Dortania guide twice, and even this YouTube video with no success. When I create the USB with either of these methods, I get "The firmware encountered an unexpected exception. The virtual machine cannot boot."

I have also taken the "macOS_OpencoreBoot.vmdk" from the first post and replaced the EFI with the one I created from the Dortania guide. When I attempted to install Sonoma on FX6300 the screen flashes with code and appears to be working, then gets stuck with "Waiting for remote debugger connection."

I admit, I am new and don't really know what I am doing with Opencore. I have previously been able to install any macOS up to Monterey on either PC simply by editing the vmx file. Again, for my intended use of macOS, that is really all I need but was hoping to get either Ventura or Sonoma working...just because.

I've included my EFI in case anyone can spot something obviously wrong. Otherwise, I have put too much time into this and can continue using my current Mojave and Monterey VMs.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20240214_015825411.jpg
    PXL_20240214_015825411.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 51
  • PXL_20240214_025554234.jpg
    PXL_20240214_025554234.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 45

Yankel26

AMD OS X Member
Hello thank you very much for this tutorial I finally managed to install it properly but I encountered a problem, even after installing the VM tools the resolution remains at 3 mb. Impossible to fix it, if anyone wants to help me that would be great.

sstrijak

AMD OS X Member
Note that all cores MUST be on the same CPU. In the following screen, having 2 processors with 2 core each did not work, frozen on boot

1708383564805.png

1708383659429.png

fyrebug

AMD OS X Member
this guide is great and I have sonoma running successfully on my 5950x. I'm not a mac person though and just using it for the first time.
I'd like to edit the config to enable more cores and change the model of mac to hopefully speed it up a bit.

EDIT
got it working. i didn't realize I needed to right click on the plist config file and open it in OC tools that way. I kept trying to open OC tools first and open from there which didn't seem to work.

I've set the machine to a mac pro 7,1 now and that seemed to help performance a little. I've got it running with 8 cores and 16gb of ram.

> The issue now is when I ask it to shut down it doesn't really. the screen goes black and there's a high cpu usage, but it doesn't seem to shut down. I have to use the power> shut down guest command in vmware. not sure if something is going to get corrupted over time doing that

I̶'m̶ c̶o̶n̶f̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ o̶n̶ h̶o̶w̶ t̶o̶ e̶d̶i̶t̶ t̶h̶e̶ p̶l̶i̶s̶t̶ t̶o̶ e̶n̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ 8̶ c̶o̶r̶e̶s̶.
I̶ h̶a̶v̶e̶ O̶C̶ A̶u̶x̶i̶l̶i̶a̶r̶y̶ T̶o̶o̶l̶s̶ i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶e̶d̶, a̶n̶d̶ I̶ h̶a̶v̶e̶ e̶s̶p̶ m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶e̶r̶ p̶r̶o̶ a̶l̶s̶o̶ i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶e̶d̶.
h̶o̶w̶ d̶o̶ I̶ s̶e̶e̶ t̶h̶e̶ c̶o̶n̶f̶i̶g̶ f̶i̶l̶e̶ w̶i̶t̶h̶i̶n̶ O̶C̶ t̶o̶o̶l̶s̶?̶ i̶f̶ I̶ c̶l̶i̶c̶k̶ m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ e̶s̶p̶ t̶h̶e̶ o̶p̶e̶n̶c̶o̶r̶e̶ d̶r̶i̶v̶e̶ i̶s̶ n̶o̶t̶ i̶n̶ t̶h̶e̶ l̶i̶s̶t̶, o̶n̶l̶y̶ d̶i̶s̶k̶ 1̶s̶1̶.
i̶n̶ e̶s̶p̶ m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶e̶r̶ I̶ h̶a̶v̶e̶ t̶h̶e̶ o̶p̶e̶n̶c̶o̶r̶e̶ d̶r̶i̶v̶e̶ m̶o̶u̶n̶t̶e̶d̶, b̶u̶t̶ i̶t̶'s̶ n̶o̶t̶ s̶h̶o̶w̶i̶n̶g̶ u̶p̶ i̶n̶ O̶C̶ t̶o̶o̶l̶s̶.

Last edited:

kamiking

AMD OS X Member
Hi, thanks a lot. It works great for me. But i have got some questions:

1. Is it normal that on a Ryzen 5 Pro 6650U with 16GB of RAM (using 6 cores and 8GB) the Boot of the Vmware needs needs more then 5 minutes? How fast is it normally?
2. If i resize the view from 800x600 -> 1280x768 it is getting much slower to work. Is this normal?
3. I get the same error messages then "batmanbattleman" how can i fix this? Can't find any text like "Edhawk" describes in his post in my SSDT files.
4. Is there a way with more performance to run MacOS on my laptop?

Thanks a lot.

BR kami

mgarst

AMD OS X Member
Hi, I managed to put macOS Sonoma on VMWare, but I have an internet related problem. It's not working for some reason. How can I solve this problem?

Attachments

• vmplayer_5mzHDmXMtY.png
    vmplayer_5mzHDmXMtY.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 56

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You need to add the correct Ethernet kext to your OpenCore setup so the Ethernet connection is enabled.

Which Ethernet controller does your system use?

mgarst

AMD OS X Member
You need to add the correct Ethernet kext to your OpenCore setup so the Ethernet connection is enabled.

Which Ethernet controller does your system use?
Does this work for the WI-FI adapter? Since I don't have a direct connection to the internet by wire.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No, you need different kexts for the WiFi/BT card to work. Different makes of WiFi/BT card require different kexts, some makes/models don't work in macOS.

Which WiFi/BT card do you have installed?

This also assumes the VM will pass the WiFi/BT signal from the Virtualised OS.

Kasherpete

AMD OS X Member
Wow, this is all great work, I was actually able to get my VM running with this guide. However, it seems to for some reason ignore my VMX file....would anyone have any idea why? I'm trying to patch iServices, and nothing I do seems to have any effect. I'm setting the serial number, device ID, MLB, ROM etc. in the VMX file, but the VM still returns a different serial.

Last edited:

val981

AMD OS X Member
I could install on Ryzen 5 7600x but it's terribly slow + make my computer lag a lot during startup, and i have no ethernet recognized.
Any fix ?

Kasherpete

AMD OS X Member
I could install on Ryzen 5 7600x but it's terribly slow + make my computer lag a lot during startup, and i have no ethernet recognized.
Any fix ?
It's gonna be really laggy without a supported GPU, this is something all MacOS VMs require. I don't have a supported GPU either, so hardware acceleration is not available. And for Ethernet, set it to NAT instead of bridged.

TomGl

AMD OS X Member
After a lot of tries, finally installed MacOS Sonoma (on Ryzen 7 5800X3D and RTX 4080). MacOS doesn't feel very smooth (feels like slow old computer), but its usable.

1. Downloaded files provided in original post
2. Installed VMware Player 17.0.1
3. Configured VM as mentioned in original post (with Opencore 4 cores), and added 8gb ram (16gb didn't make a difference)
also added these 2 lines to the .vmx file (felt like it made performance bit better but maybe no difference):

ulm.disableMitigations = "TRUE"
smc.version = "0"

4. Started the VM installation - First you will see white text going, that's all good, wait for a while (for me 30min to 1h) even if the text is the same and looks like it's going nowhere.
Then you will see apple logo and then options to access disk utility etc, erase the disk and start MacOS install. White text will go again for quite a while, just leave it. After some time I noticed that setup changes and displays 4 icons (opencore, your disk, install Sonoma, Recovery), first time I didn't manage to click anything and it continued with the white text. After some time again those 4 icons appeared, I clicked on my disk/partition (called MacOS), then again white text and I guess I got to the next step of installation process (GUI interface etc.).
Also one time when I first saw those 4 icons I disconnected the .iso and still finished the installation. So just let the installation process run for good time.

Tried to install system updates, first 2 vm's got broken, 3rd installed updates successfully.

Next thing I noticed that installation process is like 100x faster using Opencore 4 cores compared to Opencore 8 cores (which comes with unlocker).
When I was first testing installation it didn't work with 4 core .vmdk, it only worked with 8 core. Idk why. Then again it didn't work at all, then it worked with 4 core, etc. I don't know why there was such inconsistency.

Anyway, installed everything with 4 core, tried to shut down and replace to 8 core (also changed vm settings to 8 core) but it looks like it will not work as the boot is taking now more than 1h already and it's slow. (attached screenshot mby that helps)
1709656292322.png

Last edited:

UNAGAMI_5584

AMD OS X Member
I have an AMD RYZEN 5 3500U and I am running into an issue.
It would boot and give me two boot options, one named "opencore" and the other named "install macos 14 beta" , I always use install macos 14 but it always gives me a black screen, I have defined it to 4 cores and 4 gb of ram.
Please help!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You need to provide a lot more information about your system before anyone can help you boot macOS.

Aledky91

AMD OS X Member
Hello

An installation without virtualization will always be better, right? Is there much difference in performance with a native installation and a virtualized installation?

I have had hackintosh for a long time but a few months ago I replaced it with linuxmint (I needed the androidstudio virtual machine).

All my hardware is compatible with hackintosh Ryzen 5600x + RX 6800XT.

Is it possible to make a virtual installation very similar to the native one? I need macOs to develop with XCode.

I can install macOS again and have dual boot but I only need macOs for xCode.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes there is a difference, the bare-metal installation of macOS would be smoother, have full graphics acceleration and full use of the system memory and all cores from the CPU.

No the virtual machine will never be as smooth or capable as the bare-metal installation.

Using a spare SSD or NVMe drive for macOS, so you can dual boot macOS and Linux Mint would be the best option, even if all you need is Xcode.

Pedrono

AMD OS X Member
Look through the SSDT's you have added to the /EFI/OC/ACPI folder.

Search for an SSDT that contains [PSTA] device, with [_STA] @0001 #002D:

This SSDT is causing the error. I would remove the SSDT from your setup and see if that helps.
what is a ssdt?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.