Mac OS install on AMD Ryzen (VMWare) Opencore

scriptboris

AMD OS X Member
Hi, thanks for the guide. Everything works! But when I want to make the max monitor resolution a little higher, the performance of the machine drops to such an extent that it cannot start the desktop (3 hours timeout!). I have to use a low resolution. And I also need an iPhone emulator for development

I have a nvidia graphics card GTX 1660, Ryzen 5600, 32Gb RAM

Attachments

• 1703370153173.png
    1703370153173.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 47

scriptboris

AMD OS X Member
PS Set the resolution manually in the vmware to 800x600, now the machine "outputs lines" more quickly, but freezes on:
Code:
Driver com.apple.DriverKit-IOUserDockChannelSerial has crashed 0 time(s)

1703376814727.png

LokeYourC3PH

AMD OS X Member
I keep on receiving this no matter what I do really, and not sure how to fix it either:
1703685928789.png
Any suggestion?

Nvm, left it running for like 10+ minutes and it eventually kept moving forward.

LokeYourC3PH

AMD OS X Member
Welp, now I got it installed, but after starting it, eventually the OS freezes with this message:
1703694397349.png
Then I gotta reboot, and the same happens soon thereafter. Any suggestions?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I keep on receiving this no matter what I do really, and not sure how to fix it either:
View attachment 12992
Any suggestion?

Nvm, left it running for like 10+ minutes and it eventually kept moving forward.
This is a message telling you that one of the SSDT's in your OC setup is incorrect.

You should check each of them to see which contains the matching [\_SB.PCI0.P2P0.S21F._STA] entry, which can't be found.

Removing the SSDT with the incorrect entry would speed up your boot time, and may help with the screen freeze when you boot in to macOS.

LokeYourC3PH

AMD OS X Member
This is a message telling you that one of the SSDT's in your OC setup is incorrect.

You should check each of them to see which contains the matching [\_SB.PCI0.P2P0.S21F._STA] entry, which can't be found.

Removing the SSDT with the incorrect entry would speed up your boot time, and may help with the screen freeze when you boot in to macOS.
The issue here is that I only have three boot entries (assuming you mean that with "SSDT"). First being the OpenCore Bootloader at 2GB, 2nd being the 80GB Emulated SSD, 3rd being the ODD with the OSX Sonoma .ISO file in it. Here:
1704028099119.png
1704028118331.png
1704028129626.png
Other than that, I have no idea how to figure out which of the PCI devices would correlate to that entry, as I am not sure how to even check for said entry in the first place.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The incorrect information is in an SSDT, so that is where you need to look.

RichardAlves

AMD OS X Member
Dude tank you so mutch, it worked!!! I've been trying for a week to have a vm with mac on my pc, its gonna be so much easier develop for IOS 😭

riddlemeright

AMD OS X Member
This setup is such a crush. Thank you so much! I am curious how I can change the opencore to 8 cores? Apologies if this is already asked and solved.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You need to change the 4 x entries in the AMD Kernel Patches, found in the OpenCore config.plist, to have the system recognise your 8-core CPU.

# Ryzen AMD Core options

Mushie

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for sharing - have Sonoma running in VMWare! I am curious if everyone using your guide/downloads has the exact same Serial Number though? I have previously installed many MacOS (your method boots much quicker and reliably, even after disabling SIP) and modified serials with Clover. You have provided links for OC Auxiliary Tools and instructions so I will give that a try when I have more free time.
My end goal is to use this with BlueBubbles - though ultimately, I am not even sure I will really use it. But I do enjoy learning and tinkering.

Mushie

AMD OS X Member
I've Googled but have not found what I was looking for...or was Googling the wrong thing. Anyway, I'm very new to OpenCore but would like to create my own/personalized bootable vmdk like what is included in the OP (macOS_OpencoreBoot.vmdk). Would I use OCLP from here, or the OpenCorePkg from here instead? From what I can tell though, it doesn't say how to actually create the vmdk. Any guidance is appreciated!

Edit: Found this. Will try when I have time.

Last edited:

kewin251

AMD OS X Member
Hi everyone,

thank you very much for manual :)

Is it possible to allow USB 2.0 support?
If I change support in VMWARE from USB 3.1 to USB 2.0, keyboard and mouse not working. If I change back to USB 3.1, I don't see any iOS device and I can't connect it.

Thank you.

jjpython2

AMD OS X Member
Am I right in thinking that trying any of this with a Nvidia GPU is not worth the hassle

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

D1BZRP

AMD OS X Member
Thanks so much for spending the time to write this up. It only took me an hour to install latest sugoma and get xcode compiling my projects.

live5

AMD OS X Member
Works great but you have to use VmWare Player 17.0.0 with 17.5.0 it doesn't start

Mushie

AMD OS X Member
FWIW, I am running this on AMD 3700X with VMWare 17.5.0. However, it will not run on a second PC running AMD FX6300 chip...but that could be because the FX6300 is not Ryzen.

I tried installing VMWare 17.0.0 on the second PC but it won't let me run 2 versions side by side, or downgrade the current install. I am not going to uninstall 17.5.0 on that PC since I am running a Mojave VM on it for BlueBubbles.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The FX6300 system is unlikely to be a UEFI based system, as most AMD motherboards of that time were using the old Legacy BIOS. So you may need to look in to booting it as a Legacy system.

The FX (Bulldozer) family of CPU's work with the OC Kernel Patches the same as the Ryzen systems do. But they require a different set of entries in the config.plist and a few different kexts added to the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder.

AMD FX guide - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/AMD/fx.html

AppleALC.kext doesn't work on the FX systems, I had to use VoodooHDA.kext and the audio was not great.

I also had to use XLNCUSBFix.kext for the old USB ports to function, most only worked at USB 1.1 (12mb/s) speed.

I have attached an old OpenCore EFI, which I used with an FX300/Asus Sabertooth FX990 R2.0 system. The Sabertooth FX990 R2.0 was UEFI capable. I no longer have this system to hand so don't have a newer EFI for this setup.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    56.9 MB · Views: 9

Mushie

AMD OS X Member
The FX6300 system is unlikely to be a UEFI based system, as most AMD motherboards of that time were using the old Legacy BIOS. So you may need to look in to booting it as a Legacy system.

The FX (Bulldozer) family of CPU's work with the OC Kernel Patches the same as the Ryzen systems do. But they require a different set of entries in the config.plist and a few different kexts added to the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder.

AMD FX guide - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/AMD/fx.html

AppleALC.kext doesn't work on the FX systems, I had to use VoodooHDA.kext and the audio was not great.

I also had to use XLNCUSBFix.kext for the old USB ports to function, most only worked at USB 1.1 (12mb/s) speed.

I have attached an old OpenCore EFI, which I used with an FX300/Asus Sabertooth FX990 R2.0 system. The Sabertooth FX990 R2.0 was UEFI capable. I no longer have this system to hand so don't have a newer EFI for this setup.
Thanks! I'll look into it and see what I can do.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.