Mac OS install on AMD Ryzen (VMWare) Opencore

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
I wrote this tutorial to help AMD users create their own version of macOS in VMWare where I believe the system runs more smoothly.

1) First you need to download VMWare from the official website and install it by choosing the free, non-commercial version:

Download Unlocker to patch VMWare:

After installing VMWare close it.

Extract all the unlocker files into a folder, open the command prompt (terminal) in administrator mode and run "win-install.cmd".

This patch releases the Apple Mac OS X version configuration option in VMWare under Virtual Machine Settings, Options, Apple Mac OS X:

use "macOS 14" when configuring your virtual machine:

1697595264886.png

2) Also download an ISO of macOS Sonoma (tested):

I believe that other previous macOS versions may work since opencore 0.95 was used in this project. I haven't tested it with others yet.

3) Download a small VMWare disk image file:

This file contains Opencore 0.95 on an EFI partition and should be chosen as a disk image on the SATA 0:0 drive in the VMWare settings. It should always be used that way.

I created a version of this file with 4 cores. But soon I'll post it here with 6 and 8 core. You'll be able to use these even when the system is already installed. Don't worry if your processor has 6 or more cores because it works normally as long as you set the number of colors correctly in VMWare.

In a few installations here VMWare didn't reset automatically and froze during the System Text listing. To resolve this, I simply rebooted manually and let the system continue the process. I don't know why, but if anyone can solve it, I'd appreciate it.

VMWare settings:

1) Memory: 8GB

2) Processors: 4 cores (It must be exactly that because Opencore patched to 4 cores)

1697563518529.png

3) Hard Disk (Sata): macOS_OpencoreBoot.vmdk (SATA 0:0) should always be the first boot drive.

1697563598608.png

4) Hard Disk 2 (Sata): This drive is where macOS will be installed. Any size you see fit.

5) CD/DVD (SATA): Use ISO image file (Sonoma.iso)

1697563742532.png

6) USB Controller 3.1. (tested)

1697563943198.png

7) Network Adapter: Bridged Automatic.

During installation, only erase or format the macOS installation drive you created using Disk Utility. Never do this on the OPENCORE drive (it must remain untouched):

1697564233230.png

1697564292473.png

1697564376242.png

1697564427213.png

***** In some test installations, the system has crashed or stopped during installation. I don't know why this happens. To solve it, just reset VMWare and let the installation continue normally.

***** When I first got macOS, I had this problem with a white background (wallpaper) in the system background. But you have to go into the macOS settings and click on Wallpaper and then deactivate the Show as screen saver option. Then choose a wallpaper you like.

Attachments

• 1697563499851.png
    1697563499851.png
    124 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
When I first got macOS, I had this problem with a white background (wallpaper) in the system background. But you have to go into the macOS settings and click on Wallpaper and then deactivate the Show as screen saver option. Then choose a wallpaper you like.

1697565926909.png

1697565960645.png

HKPhysicist

AMD OS X Member
WOW!!! :love:
Your setup has passed the reboot shutdown!!! (y):love:

Last edited:

HKPhysicist

AMD OS X Member
Dear Friend,
I could get the first GUI with a large OpenCore Disk. After I had clicked on it, a dark screen stayed there forever.

Do you know the reason? :unsure:

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
Hi HKPhysicist.

in vmware I have set this default video configuration:

1697632908704.png

Never choose OPENCORE. It's only for automatic booting when you start the machine.

If you're installing for the first time, quickly tap the screen as soon as the icons appear and choose Install macOS Sonoma if you've added the ISO file to the CD/DVD drive. Never tap or choose OPENCORE because it will give you a black screen.

On subsequent reboots, another icon will appear with the name of the drive you created during the installation, but it will automatically be selected.

1697633690438.png

HKPhysicist

AMD OS X Member
WOW!
Your OpenCore bootloader was able to boot up and passed the first installation reboot! The hard disk stage installation is in progress. Let me see where its destination is. :love:
macos install going.png

Another secret is - the VMWare unlocker only works for VMWare Player v17.0.1 or older. Otherwise, macOS will complain that my VM is not eligible for the present installation macOS 14!

I recall that my failed setup received this alert logo when I ran my macOS 14 installation on a patched VMWare Player 17.0.2!
It implies that macOS 14 installation is able to recognise a wrongly patched VMWare Player 17.0.2 as a fake macOS VM! :LOL:

HKPhysicist

AMD OS X Member
Hello Friend,
You also have to install VMWare Tools from within macOS. It will turn your mac display to wide screen!

HKPhysicist

AMD OS X Member
Hello Friend,
With the help of your customised OpenCore, my Windosh VMWare VM installation is a complete success! I am installing XCode from within macOS 14 VM. :love:

Another question is -
Do you also use GenSMBIOS tool and OpenCore plist to configure your virtual iMac specification?
imac spec.png

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
Hello Friend,
With the help of your customised OpenCore, my Windosh VMWare VM installation is a complete success! I am installing XCode from within macOS 14 VM. :love:
Excellent News !!!

Another question is -
Do you also use GenSMBIOS tool and OpenCore plist to configure your virtual iMac specification?

I use OC Auxiliary Tools to edit and configure the opencore config.plist file.

You can use this tool to edit this file and configure new SIM Bios and use another one for your virtual machine:

1697736485238.png

Editing SMBIOS:

1697736604109.png

Before you can edit it, you need to mount the OPENCORE partition. This partition contains the EFI directory and, inside it, the OC directory, where the config.plist file is located, which must be opened with OC Auxiliary Tools:

1697737137066.png

Use ESP MOUNTER PRO or another application to mount the OPENCORE partition:

When opening and editing the config.plist file, be careful because an error can make the machine unbootable.

I create 2 virtual machines here and open the opencore vmdk file from another machine as a secondary drive to correct errors in config.plist in case it is no longer bootable:

1697736388235.png

You can edit OPENCORE from the virtual machine itself without having to use 2 machines. But you must make sure you know what you're doing. Editing SMBIOS, for example, and choosing a Mac that is not supported by macOS Sonoma can cause the system to stop booting.

As far as I know, Macs manufactured after 2019 support macOS Sonoma.

Last edited:

HKPhysicist

AMD OS X Member
WOW! A full suite to build Ryzentosh PC and Windosh VM! (y):love:

tmash

AMD OS X Member
TYSM, a huge time saver.

Note: Use a solid background as a wallpaper to increase responsiveness.

Last edited:

tonybb8

AMD OS X Member
Many Thanks! You have done a excellent job!
I edit setting to 8 core 64GB RAM work perfect.
macos14.png

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
Hello Friend,

Another question is -
View attachment 12139
No need for a custom SMBIOS, it uses VMware1,1 (or something like that) by default. Just set SpoofVendor to true.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
False***, Damn the shadow ban about no message edits.

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
Yes.
Many Thanks! You have done a excellent job!
I edit setting to 8 core 64GB RAM work perfect.

Yes. You can edit the OPENCORE volume as I showed you how to do earlier and open the OC Auxiliary Tools, accessing Kernel, then the Patch tab, under Replace, there are those first 4 lines in hexa B9 XX ... and BA XX ... where XX is the number of cores you're going to use in VMWare.

1698089028869.png

HKPhysicist

AMD OS X Member
Today, I made a new macOS Sonoma 14.1 VM with this recipe! It is a complete and smooth success! (y):love:

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
Following the information in this post, I put the iMacPro1.1 in SMBIOS and both Sonoma and the XCode Simulator seemed to run and load a little faster. Confirm if the same happens.

1698468799090.png

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.