** Preliminary Build Guide for Asus X670E Gene and Other AM5 Boards **
Also refer to this Outline of the Steps
Supports Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura

Asus-X670E-Gene-Cropped.jpg

14 April 2023:
Added OpenCore 0.9.1 EFI Folder
See post #5 below for details and EFI folder
NOTE:
  1. If you choose to use the files and information provided in this post, you agree to do your homework to resolve problems and to tailor the configuration for your board
  2. I do not have the bandwidth to hand-hold anyone through this process
  3. There is a lot of information already provided in the "Outline" referred to above (just under the title) and elsewhere in this and other forums
  4. Even USB port mapping guides are available in the Tutorial section of this website
  5. If you must ask a question after struggling without success to fix something, please provide all relevant background information including the steps you have taken
  6. No support provided for macOS versions older than Big Sur
  7. Please disable or delete the ACPI entry for SSDT-CREATE-DP68.aml. I forgot to do this when the EFI folder was posted. Will fix it when OC 0.8.9 is released

I have been tied up with several other tasks that have prevented me from creating a proper build guide for Asus X670E Gene. In the meantime here is the next best thing:
  • This post provides a template OpenCore 0.8.8 EFI for Asus X670E Gene that can be adapted to other AM5 boards
  • All necessary kernel patches are present (PCIe zombie fix and garbled audio fix are included)
  • Aquantia AQC-107 and AQC-113 kernel patches for Monterey and Ventura are also included but disabled; click here for instructions (post is located below)
    • AQC-113 is not supported in Big Sur
  • Modifications necessary to enable incremental macOS downloads are also present (they involve boot argument for RestrictEvents and specifying Memory fields in PlatformInfo)
  • Modifications necessary to enable Intel i225-V 2.5GbE
Parts used in my build:

To adapt this EFI to other boards, the following changes must be made:
  • Find MMIO Whitelist for your board by temporarily using the Debug version of OpenCore.efi and setting Misc -> Target -> 67 to enable OpenCore log files. Boot the system until OpenCore Picker appears. This should be sufficient to generate an OpenCore log file in the root folder of EFI partition. Search that log for "MMIO" and you'll find the entries you need (refer to this MMIO Whitelist guide)
  • Create your own USB port map; this EFI folder uses a combination of (a) SSDT and (b) kext to create the USB port map; I have also included the output from USBToolBox if you prefer that; but you must still create a USB port map for your particular motherboard; you can try using the USB port map in this EFI folder but it may or may not work for you
  • If your board has an Intel I225-V 2.5GbE port, it will be necessary modify the ACPI path in SSDT-I225V.aml (Ventura and newer)
  • To enable one-key wake from sleep, SSDT-USBW.aml must be modified with the ACPI path of all active USB (XHC) controllers in your system
  • The DeviceProperties section should be updated for your board; existing entries can be deleted when installing macOS and created later; the purpose of these properties is to set Built-In property for NVMe M.2 and SATA SSDs so they appear on the desktop as internal drives (see screenshot below)
  • Owners of Gigabyte AM5 boards may need to apply one or two ACPI patches. Click here or search for XPRW
To adapt this EFI to your CPU, your memory DIMMs, your GPU and your Region, the following changes must be made:
  • Change the kernel patch to reflect the number of physical CPU cores in your processor; I'm using a Ryzen 7 7700X which has 8 cores, so if you are using a different processor, modify the first 3 kernel patches (see screenshot below)
  • Update the PlatformInfo -> Memory section as described in the screenshot below
  • Also copy or create Serial numbers in PlatformInfo -> DataHub section as shown in screenshot below
  • If using a 2, 4, or 6 core CPU, change ProcessorType to 1537 as shown
  • If using a CPU with 8 or more cores, set ProcessorType to 3841 as shown
  • Enter the name of your CPU in NVRAM section as shown below so that it appears correctly in About this Mac
  • Remove boot-argument agdpmod=pikera if using RX 550, 560, 570, 580, Vega 56, Vega 64, and Radeon VI (see screenshot below)
  • In the NVRAM section just under boot-args there is a parameter called prev-lang:kbd; it is currently set to en-US:0, but you can change that to your region
There are three config.plist files to choose from, as follows:
  1. If you are using the on-board Intel WiFi/BT module, use the file config-Intel-M.2-WiFi-BT.plist
  2. If you have replaced the on-board Intel module with a Broadcom BCM94360NG M.2 module, use the file config-Broadcom-M.2-WiFi-BT.plist
  3. If you still have the on-board Intel module, but are using a Broadcom-based PCIe add-in-card such as Fenvi FV-T919 or Fenvi FV-HB1200 or similar module, use the file config-Broadcom-PCIe-WiFi-BT.plist
  4. After selecting one of the 3 plist files, rename the file to config.plist and make all changes to that file
Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 3.05.42 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 3.07.35 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-08 at 3.09.48 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-08 at 3.07.08 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-08 at 3.07.17 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-08 at 3.15.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.43.25 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-08 at 3.12.57 PM.png

Attachments

• OC 088 for Asus X670E Gene.zip
    41.7 MB · Views: 444
Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
** Other Considerations **

• BIOS configuration is described in next post (below)
  • If you are using Big Sur with on-board Intel WiFi, copy attached file to EFI/OC/Kexts folder; no change needed to config.plist
  • Avoid using Samsung NVMe SSDs in Monterey and Ventura because trim is not supported, which can lead to long boot times and accelerated wear

Links to Various Tools:
  • OpenCore Configurator
    • Provides a GUI for configuring config.plist
    • Each version supports the current and next release of OpenCore
    • Always check the app's title bar to see if the correct version of OpenCore is being supported
    • Use the app's Settings... or Preferences... to switch between current and next version
    • Ensure that only one EFI partition is mounted when using this app; otherwise the wrong EFI partition could be modified; this problem also affects other apps such as BBEdit
  • OCAT (OpenCore Auxiliary Tools)
    • Another GUI for configuring config.plist
  • IORegistry Explorer 3.0.2
  • Hackintool
  • USBToolBox for mapping USB ports in Windows
  • EFI Agent for menu-bar convenience in mounting EFI partitions
  • HackinDROM App for auto-updating OpenCore to new versions
    • Please make sure that your SSDT-SBUS-MCHC and SSDT-EC files are renamed to:
      • SSDT-SBUS-MCHC-AMD.aml
      • SSDT-EC-AMD.aml
    • Failure to do so will cause HackinDROM to download latest version that is not AMD-compatible; your system will not boot
    • Quick instructions available here
  • MaciASL for examining and modifying SSDTs

Attachments

• AirportItlwm-Big-Sur.kext.zip
    14.7 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
** AM5 BIOS Configuration **
  • If your motherboard has on-board USB4 / Thunderbolt, it is strongly recommended to disable it in BIOS when installing macOS
    • USB4 / Thunderbolt can be enabled after macOS is fully installed, but in Ventura this may cause some issues such as:
      • I225-V port not working
      • WiFi not working
      • Internal SATA drives appearing on desktop as external drives
      • Bluetooth may or may not work
  • If your motherboard has on-board USB4 / Thunderbolt, please enable the following AMD-OSX patch: CaseySJ - Fix PCI bus enumeration on AM5
    Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 8.14.37 AM.png
  • If you use USBToolBox to create a USB port map, be wary of the following:
    • USBToolBox will create a kext that refers to specific pcidebug addresses, which are a combination of Bus:Device:Function such as 0:18:0
    • These addresses may change if Thunderbolt is enabled or disabled, so it's necessary to remember whether Thunderbolt was enabled or disabled when USBToolBox was used to generate the port map; the USB kext will work properly only when Thunderbolt is set to the same setting
  • On Asus X670E Gene and possibly other Asus AM5 boards, BIOS is already configured properly, but you may want to enable AMD EXPO or XMP for full memory speed and disable USB4/Thunderbolt
  • On other boards, check and set the following:
    • EXPO or XMP for memory speed
    • XHCI Handoff should be enabled
    • Resizable BAR can be left enabled whether or not your GPU supports it
    • Above 4G Decoding should be enabled
  • If your BIOS has option to disable iGPU, it is not necessary to do so; we can use the supplied SSDT-DISABLE-IGPU.aml to hide iGPU from macOS (it may be necessary to change the PCI path of iGPU inside the SSDT)
For reduced temperature and power consumption with almost no impact to performance, these BIOS settings are recommended based on a YouTube video by OptimumTech:

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
** Configuring Aquantia 10GbE **
Applies to Monterey, Ventura and Newer​

If you're running Monterey, Ventura or newer it is necessary to enable the six kernel patches that are included in all three config.plist files in Post 1. It is also necessary to enable the kernel quirk ForceAquantiaEthernet. These steps are shown below.
Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 4.27.00 AM.png
If you have a Gigabyte GC-AQC113C add-in-card, it is necessary to enable the SSDT shown below and to modify the PCI path inside that SSDT if it differs from Asus X670E Gene. The PCI path will depend on the PCIe slot in which the GC-AQC113C is installed. In nearly all cases this SSDT will have to be modified. Ask for assistance if needed.

NOTE:
  • If your motherboard has a built-in Aquantia 10GbE port, it is most likely supported natively. This means no special SSDT is needed. This also means we should not enable the SSDT shown below nor attempt to adapt it for the on-board 10GbE controller. Again, no SSDT is needed for most on-board 10GbE controllers.
Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 4.29.12 AM.png
DeviceBig SurMonterey and Ventura
AQC-107YesYes
AQC-113NoYes

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
WARNING: If using Intel WiFi/BT, the EFI will not boot unless we uncheck AirportItlwm-Big-Sur.kext in the Kernel section of config.plist. This has been fixed in the OpenCore 0.9.1 EFI folder, so no need to worry about it when using that version.

14 April 2023: OpenCore 0.9.1 EFI folder for Asus X670E Gene

Changes include:
  • OpenCore 0.9.1
  • Removed AirportItlwm-Big-Sur.kext to save disk space
  • File to download: OC 091 for Asus X670E Gene.zip

11 March 2023: OpenCore 0.9.0 EFI folder for Asus X670E Gene

Changes include:
  • OpenCore 0.9.0
  • All changes listed below for OC 0.8.9
  • Removed SSDT-I225V.aml because it's no longer needed
  • Added pre-release version of FeatureUnlock.kext 1.1.4 to enable Continuity Camera in Ventura
  • File to download: OC 090 for Asus X670E Gene.zip

04 March 2023: OpenCore 0.8.9 EFI folder for Asus X670E Gene

Changes include:
  • OpenCore 0.8.9
  • Disabled SSDT-CREATE-DP68.aml
  • Added latest AMD-OSX kernel patches for Ventura 13.3+ (please update first 4 patches with number of CPU cores)
  • Added AM5 PCI bus enumeration patch for Thunderbolt
  • Fixed the USB port map by including front panel USB 3.x
  • Fixed typo in boot argument: debug=0x1000 has been changed to debug=0x100
Detailed information on how to use and adapt the three included config.plist files are in Post 1.
Screenshot 2023-02-28 at 8.01.27 PM.png
I've moved all components of my Asus X670E Gene into the new Jonsbo D31 chassis (available in both black and white):

IMG_8740.jpg IMG_8746.jpg

Attachments

• OC 089 for Asus X670E Gene.zip
    41.7 MB · Views: 64
  • OC 090 for Asus X670E Gene.zip
    41.7 MB · Views: 77
  • OC 091 for Asus X670E Gene.zip
    41.7 MB · Views: 397
Last edited:

scq195822

AMD OS X Member
Can I ask what shall I do to make the audio works? My motherboard is X670E Hero, with the same audio chip(ALC4082) as Gene.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Can I ask what shall I do to make the audio works? My motherboard is X670E Hero, with the same audio chip(ALC4082) as Gene.
Please see NOTE 5.

Last edited:

agent2

Donator
Donator
Hey Casey, all this work you and the others have put in over the past months is simply amazing, I cannot put into words how impressed I have been! I will continue to adjust little things to my Bro's PC with the Gene and when I have enough time I will make sure to post the success story in the corresponding subforum!
Cheers and thanks again for the comprehensive guidance!

Tenshou

AMD OS X Member
CaseySJ, I want to thank you for your contributions. I am new here and new to the hackintosh scene but I deeply appreciate you and the things you’ve done. As a community, we’re quite fortunate to have someone like you. Would love to send you a donation, a beer, some pizzas or something else you want to as a token of my gratitude.

Many of this wouldn’t have happened without your contribution

Last edited:

starghost1100

AMD OS X Member
Has anyone already been able to check how Adobe works with the new AMD processors? I remember Photoshop 2022+ had problems when using certain functions, and it was due to the architecture of the processor and the lack of instructions in it, which are in Intel. something has changed? Ryzen 7000 also seems to have AVX512. Does anyone have complete information about this?

pbs888

AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ - many thanks for all the information! ;)

pbs888

AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ great much! work appreciated!

I was able to install Ventura on Asus ROG x670e Extreme & 7950x by using the files you've prepared as a starting point for my own EFI — to start off I've removed all not required for install kexts and ACPI files. Most of them files in those folders are self explanatory but I am not sure what some of them actually do: e.g. SSDT-CREATE-DP68.aml, SSDT-DTPG.aml, SSDT-SBRG.aml, SSDT-SBUS-MCHC-AMD.aml

I don't want to copy/paste - I would be very helpful to know what do they actually do and are you using a prebuilt file or did you have to modify it at all? ;) Many thanks again! ;)

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
I remember Photoshop 2022+ had problems when using certain functions, and it was due to the architecture of the processor and the lack of instructions in it, which are in Intel.
if you are talking about MKL intel libraries this is a no problem for AMD cpu from many time
AMDFriend script solves this problem redirecting those MKL incompatible libraries to others AMD compatible

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@CaseySJ great much! work appreciated!

I was able to install Ventura on Asus ROG x670e Extreme & 7950x by using the files you've prepared as a starting point for my own EFI — to start off I've removed all not required for install kexts and ACPI files. Most of them files in those folders are self explanatory but I am not sure what some of them actually do: e.g. SSDT-CREATE-DP68.aml, SSDT-DTPG.aml, SSDT-SBRG.aml, SSDT-SBUS-MCHC-AMD.aml

I don't want to copy/paste - I would be very helpful to know what do they actually do and are you using a prebuilt file or did you have to modify it at all? ;) Many thanks again! ;)
Good questions:

First of all, I should have removed SSDT-CREATE-DP68.aml before posting the EFI folder. I've added Note 8 to top of Post 1:

Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 8.33.23 AM.png

• SSDT-DTPG is a helper function for the Thunderbolt SSDT. If we don't have Thunderbolt we can disable SSDT-DTPG and the Thunderbolt SSDT
    • Thunderbolt SSDT filename is SSDT-TB3HP-ASUS-X670E-GENE.aml
  • Thunderbolt hot plug is not currently working so we can always disable SSDT-DTPG and the Thunderbolt SSDT
  • SSDT-SBRG.aml is not strictly necessary and may be disabled
  • A good explanation of SSDT-SBUS-MCHC-AMD.aml is provided here:

pbs888

AMD OS X Member
Good questions:

First of all, I should have removed SSDT-CREATE-DP68.aml before posting the EFI folder. I've added Note 8 to top of Post 1:

View attachment 9583

• SSDT-DTPG is a helper function for the Thunderbolt SSDT. If we don't have Thunderbolt we can disable SSDT-DTPG and the Thunderbolt SSDT
    • Thunderbolt SSDT filename is SSDT-TB3HP-ASUS-X670E-GENE.aml
  • Thunderbolt hot plug is not currently working so we can always disable SSDT-DTPG and the Thunderbolt SSDT
  • SSDT-SBRG.aml is not strictly necessary and may be disabled
  • A good explanation of SSDT-SBUS-MCHC-AMD.aml is provided here:
Thanks @CaseySJ ! That's extremly useful!

I am still in shock we can run MacOS on AM5 :D

// Intel i225-V
I was able to get the Intel i225-V 2.5GbE working - I've checked and on the Asus X670E Extreme the ACPI path is the same — so that just worked. Thank you!

// Aquantia
However, I am unable to get the Aquantia to work — I've checked your original file and I also tried modified the ACPI path (same way as per your instructions for the intel).

I've changed _SB_.PCI0.GPP7.UP00.DP40.UP00.DP10.PCX1 to _SB_.PCI0.GPP7.UP00.DP40.UP00.DP10.AQCL — based what I found with Hackintool (please see attached image). Any ideas what I am doing wrong here? ;)

// Audio
It's my understing that ALC4082 is basically an USB audio device. I've googl-ed around and I found relevant post when people are mapping this just like a regular usb 2.0 port. Looking at the usb list in hackintool - there is nothing there that would suggest to me it's that specific port. Any tips how do I go about finding this port?

// CPU name
I've updated my CPU name as per your instructions & I've added the boot-arg flag, however, the CPU name still comes up as 4.3 GHz AMD Ryzen™ 7 7700X - I've searched the config.plist for it but cannot find it. Where is this coming from?:) I assume this cannot be an accident and this is the CPU you've used so I am just silly and can't find it. Any tips much apprecited.

I am attaching my current EFI just in case (Asus X670E Extreme / 7950X / RX 580 / Fenvi FV-T919)

Many thanks! Any tips much appreciated!

Attachments

• EFI asus x670e extreme and 7950x.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 53

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Thanks @CaseySJ ! That's extremly useful!

I am still in shock we can run MacOS on AM5 :D

// Intel i225-V
I was able to get the Intel i225-V 2.5GbE working - I've checked and on the Asus X670E Extreme the ACPI path is the same — so that just worked. Thank you!

// Aquantia
However, I am unable to get the Aquantia to work — I've checked your original file and I also tried modified the ACPI path (same way as per your instructions for the intel).

I've changed _SB_.PCI0.GPP7.UP00.DP40.UP00.DP10.PCX1 to _SB_.PCI0.GPP7.UP00.DP40.UP00.DP10.AQCL — based what I found with Hackintool (please see attached image). Any ideas what I am doing wrong here? ;)
To configure Aquantia please see the newly added Post #4 above.

// Audio
It's my understing that ALC4082 is basically an USB audio device. I've googl-ed around and I found relevant post when people are mapping this just like a regular usb 2.0 port. Looking at the usb list in hackintool - there is nothing there that would suggest to me it's that specific port. Any tips how do I go about finding this port?
ALC4082 is a USB-based audio controller so we should replace AppleALC.kext with AppleALCU.kext (which is already included in the EFI folder attached to Post 1). Also:
  • Remove alcid=15 from boot-args because USB-based audio does not need Layout IDs
  • Remove device property shown below (1st one in the list):
Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 4.12.41 AM.png

// CPU name
I've updated my CPU name as per your instructions & I've added the boot-arg flag, however, the CPU name still comes up as 4.3 GHz AMD Ryzen™ 7 7700X - I've searched the config.plist for it but cannot find it. Where is this coming from?:) I assume this cannot be an accident and this is the CPU you've used so I am just silly and can't find it. Any tips much apprecited.

I am attaching my current EFI just in case (Asus X670E Extreme / 7950X / RX 580 / Fenvi FV-T919)
Because your config.plist is not based on the one from Post 1, it is missing several NVRAM -> Delete options:
Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 4.45.03 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-28 at 4.45.59 AM.png
Try making the changes shown in red; reboot; and see if CPU Name updates properly.

pbs888

AMD OS X Member
To configure Aquantia please see the newly added Post #4 above.

ALC4082 is a USB-based audio controller so we should replace AppleALC.kext with AppleALCU.kext (which is already included in the EFI folder attached to Post 1). Also:
  • Remove alcid=15 from boot-args because USB-based audio does not need Layout IDs
  • Remove device property shown below (1st one in the list):
View attachment 9597

Because your config.plist is not based on the one from Post 1, it is missing several NVRAM -> Delete options:
View attachment 9598View attachment 9599
Try making the changes shown in red; reboot; and see if CPU Name updates properly.

@CaseySJ You are a true hero! ;) Saved me days of debugging — I have no idea what happened to the EFI — I was absolutly sure I've used yours as the starting point. Really sorry for the confusion.

// Aquantia
Success! I've followed your instructions in the Post #4 and all working perfectly now!

// CPU name
Success! I've copied whone NVRAM section from your config.plist, updated the name and boom! It's working.

No idea what it's showing 4.3 GHz as a base (should be 4.5Ghz as per the spec) but I guess that's just cosmetics. Showing correclty in the geekbench

// Audio
I've updated as per your instructions and a new device is showing up now in the Geekbench USB section - it must be the USB audio controller. With this USB audio controller, are we able to use 3.5 input / or optical out on the motherboard? I was actually using them ;)

// Fractal Torrent Compact

From other news, I am currenlty using RX 580 on this build, but I wanted to use the XFX 6900 XT Black Limited which is currently in my 5950x Hackintosh - however, it looks like it's 10mm too long ;( I really like this Fractal Torrent Compact 180mm fans - but looks like they will have to go ;(

Attaching updated EFI for the Asus X670E Extreme / 7950X / RX 580 / Fenvi FV-T919 — maybe someone will find it useful.

Attachments

• EFI asus x670e extreme and 7950x.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 108

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@pbs888,

Good job! Nice to see the system being fully operational.

WARNING: Please remove your serial numbers from PlatformInfo section of the EFI folder you posted. We should also blur or draw over the serial number in About this Mac screenshot.

Just posted this if anyone is interested...

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
EFI folder for OpenCore 0.8.9 has been posted above:

This version contains latest AMD-OSX patches for both (a) Ventura 13.3 and (b) Thunderbolt. Please see above post for full list of changes.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.