Wanting to do a hackintosh...Current Parts list

crosseyedCOBRA

AMD OS X Member
Hey all. I am wanting to make a dual boot system with my current parts that I have for my Windows Machine. I am going to purchase a separate SSD so Mac OS is on its on drive but I wanted to make sure that my parts should be okay in the meantime or if you guys think that I could run into many issues with my current parts list.

CPU: Ryzen9 5900X
Mobo: ROH STRIX X570-E Gaming
GPU- EVGA GTX 1080 FTW

I will be upgrading my GPU eventually that may or may not play into my decision to do this. I am wanting to make a hackintosh because it appears that I potentially could be getting a new job devloping in/for Mac and I want to learn all that I can about it. Any info you guys can help with would be appreciated. Thanks

PS. Any recommendations for SSDs to purchase for this system to work without issue would be great. Won't doing too much on here just learning development environments, basic use, a few other things here and there 1-2TB should be more than I would need.

-Cobra

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Your Nvidia GTX 1080 limits you to running macOS High Sierra, as the discrete GPU requires the Nvidia Web Drivers to work in macOS. The last version of the Nvidia Web Drivers were released for macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. In fact there are 17 versions of the Nvidia Web Drivers available for 10.13.6. So you need to be sure you use the correct drivers with the correct version/sub-version of High Sierra.

The CPU and Motherboard will work with macOS, it is just your discrete GPU that holds you back. If you had a compatible AMD GPU then you could install anything from High Sierra up to the current version of Monterey. Something like an RX570/580 or Vega 56/64, would be ideal.

As you are looking for an SSD not an NVMe/M.2 card you have a wide choice. I use Samsung and SanDisk SSD's in most if not all of my systems (where an NVMe drive is not used). SanDisk SSD's are usually reasonably priced, the Samsung's tend to be at the top end of the market. Nothing wrong with the WesternDigital SSD's either.

crosseyedCOBRA

AMD OS X Member
Your Nvidia GTX 1080 limits you to running macOS High Sierra, as the discrete GPU requires the Nvidia Web Drivers to work in macOS. The last version of the Nvidia Web Drivers were released for macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. In fact there are 17 versions of the Nvidia Web Drivers available for 10.13.6. So you need to be sure you use the correct drivers with the correct version/sub-version of High Sierra.

The CPU and Motherboard will work with macOS, it is just your discrete GPU that holds you back. If you had a compatible AMD GPU then you could install anything from High Sierra up to the current version of Monterey. Something like an RX570/580 or Vega 56/64, would be ideal.

As you are looking for an SSD not an NVMe/M.2 card you have a wide choice. I use Samsung and SanDisk SSD's in most if not all of my systems (where an NVMe drive is not used). SanDisk SSD's are usually reasonably priced, the Samsung's tend to be at the top end of the market. Nothing wrong with the WesternDigital SSD's either.
In the next few months I am going to be upgrading to a newer GPU. Just hard to not find over-priced GPUs right now. I was thinking of going with an AMD GPU more than likely. Are there any limitations on AMD GPUs on the newer side?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The RX6600 and RX6600XT are only supported since macOS Monterey 12.1.

The RX6800/XT and RX6900/XT are supported since Big Sur 11.2 IIRC.

The RX6700 and RX6500 are not supported in any version of macOS.

Aigor

AMD OS X Member
The RX6600 and RX6600XT are only supported since macOS Monterey 12.1.

The RX6800/XT and RX6900/XT are supported since Big Sur 11.2 IIRC.

The RX6700 and RX6500 are not supported in any version of macOS.
Hi RX6600XT only since 12.1? the actual installer downloaded from apple store, is already 12.1 or is 12 ?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
If you download Monterey from the App Store you'll get 12.3

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.