Update from 14.4 to 14.4.1

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Just a heads up that if you plan to update your system from 14.4 to 14.4.1 you need again to follow the below steps:

1. Opencore must be updated to 0.99.
2. Remove/disable any kexts related to wifi and bluetooth. (Airportltlwm, BluetoolFixup, IntelBluetoothFirmware, IntelBTPatcher).
3. Set securebootmodel to Disabled.
5. After installation re-enable the wifi and BT kexts (AirportItlwm.kext must be the one for Sonoma14.4-v2.3.0-DEBUG).
6. Set securebootmodel back to Default.
7. Reboot.

backinblackx86

AMD OS X Member
any downsides to leaving secureboot as disabled?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
It can be reset to ‘Default’ once the update has completed.

keef247

AMD OS X Member
OP this simply isn't true.

I didn't do any of what you've suggested? Secureboot was never disabled before or after. I have had zero issues...

Everything working, 14.4.1, just made a bootable usb with the image from the official Apple servers, added my existing EFI to it, installed it from OpenCore's boot menu by simply upgrading over 14.4 existing install, and everything works :)

MSI B50i Gaming Plus AC, 3600 non x, 2x8gb Corsair LPX 3200mhz XMP, Gigabyte RX 570 Gaming 8G, built in intel wifi/bluetooth off the motherboard.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
OP this simply isn't true.

I didn't do any of what you've suggested? Secureboot was never disabled before or after. I have had zero issues...
I am happy to read you didn't have any issues with your macOS Sonoma update, but it has not been everyone else's experience. So saying it's not true is not correct. It just happens that you didn't encounter the same issues. It is hard to say if this was you being fortunate or did you have something else in your config that allowed the update to complete?

Plenty of people on this and other Hackintosh sites have had to use the SecureBootModel change in order to install Sonoma 14.4.1. Otherwise they faced a kernel panic, or black screen during the installation.

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I think you get these problems if you have an intel network card. If you do, for sure you have to disable the Airportltlwm, BluetoolFixup, IntelBluetoothFirmware, IntelBTPatcher kexts before updating.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I had to change the SecureBootModel entry on an Intel Skylake Hack that I wanted to update, it doesn’t have any WiFi/BT devices. This is a system that is used as a macOS server on my home network, it doesn‘t need WiFi or Bluetooth, plus it has a 10G PCIe network adapter.

keef247

AMD OS X Member
I think you get these problems if you have an intel network card. If you do, for sure you have to disable the Airportltlwm, BluetoolFixup, IntelBluetoothFirmware, IntelBTPatcher kexts before updating.
Not true. I have intel BT/Wifi, didn't have to do any of this, on any of my macos versions, be it clean install or upgrade.

I am happy to read you didn't have any issues with your macOS Sonoma update, but it has not been everyone else's experience. So saying it's not true is not correct. It just happens that you didn't encounter the same issues. It is hard to say if this was you being fortunate or did you have something else in your config that allowed the update to complete?

Plenty of people on this and other Hackintosh sites have had to use the SecureBootModel change in order to install Sonoma 14.4.1. Otherwise they faced a kernel panic, or black screen during the installation.
Never had to on any version of macos on a hackintosh :) clean install or upgrade.

madvinegar

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Not true. I have intel BT/Wifi, didn't have to do any of this, on any of my macos versions, be it clean install or upgrade.

Never had to on any version of macos on a hackintosh :) clean install or upgrade.
You keep saying "not true". It is true for many systems. Maybe it is not true for your system but it is for others.
Apart from the thread I opened when updating to 14.4 (where some others were also facing the same problem and assisted me to update) I also checked in youtube and found this post:

You see? True.

DarkSilentSC

AMD OS X Member
I didnt follow the instruction above, yet I managed to update to 14.4.1. However I have several issues: Aquantia NIC stopped working but Intel gigabit ethernet is working.
Broadcom WiFi/BT stopped working despite Opencore legacy patcher.

keef247

AMD OS X Member
You keep saying "not true". It is true for many systems. Maybe it is not true for your system but it is for others.
Apart from the thread I opened when updating to 14.4 (where some others were also facing the same problem and assisted me to update) I also checked in youtube and found this post:

You see? True.
Sorry I think we may have both got confused with each other haha :)

So I'm sorry if I came across as rude or confusing, I was merely trying to say for my exact hardware, no matter which variant of macos that I've ran on this rig with the kexts I've used, the result has never varied :)

If you meant to say for example, "depending on which Intel card you have, some might need X some might need Y" then yeah, I totally agree with that, dude.

All I'm trying to say is, all I did was make a fresh usb install, copy any updated kext/opencore to it, boot off opencore, install straight over the existing install, and everything worked, no secure boot disabled.

The only thing I didn't originally do that I should of, was map my USB ports, of which @Shaneee kindly helped

That has been the same for whatever release of macos that I've installed on this machine, be it updates or an entirely new distro.

So if I had 2 machines both the same hardware/kexts, there's no way 1 would require this fix and the other wouldn't - it either works with or without it, but both would demonstrate the same issue if there was one or required XYZ.

Hope that makes more sense now :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.