System hang (I think due to incorrect CPU power settings)

lev12354

AMD OS X Member
Good afternoon A year ago +- wrote on this forum about help in installing on my laptop

Specification:

ryzen 7 5800H + vega 8
rtx 3060 laptop gpu

And they helped me with the installation (although only 1 core worked even without video acceleration for the video core), but I did not notice a dead fading of the system

Recently I saw that kext nootedred was released and decided to build the bootloader again and try it. To begin with, I decided to use the one ready from this person - https://github.com/zabdottler/Lenovo-Yoga-16S-hackintosh

And everything works thanks to its bootloader, but one main snag is a sudden system freeze at any time, which is in the installer, which in the system itself.

The first thing I noticed was that these freezes began to clear up with each new installation of any macOS (nvram tried to reset and increase the memory on the IGPU)

Please help me figure out the weird hangups

I’ll post my current config below (Don’t be afraid of the rubbish that’s in it :) Many kexts are turned off there and did everything to bust, as I tried to remove the friezes, but it’s all to no avail)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.7 MB · Views: 8

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Hi @lev12354,
Good to see you again. Yes of course I remember you, how have you been?

You mention you still have problems with your setup? You should be glad to know we are here. :)

So I've had a look at your EFI today, and it seems I've uncovered quite a number of things. Here are some of the issues I found:

1) Three SSDT disable settings were enabled - SSDT-DDGPU.aml, SSDT-Disable-RTX3060.aml & -wegnoegpu.
Disabling the DGPU should only require one of these settings using correct IRQ setup (and if possible, disabled DGPU in the BIOS). It could be a huge factor as to why your system was feeling unstable. I've decided to turn off the SSDTs and use the -wegnoegpu setting.

2) radvesa was enabled but NootedRed was turned off
NootedRed is now confirmed fully working on the Vega 8 series. If you plan to use the NootedRed (which I think you should) you must also remove any -radvesa references from the boot-arg so I've gone ahead and done that. I've also updated the NootedRed with a better compiled version.

3) Conflicting trackpad settings for VoodooPS2Controller
I checked that your Voodoo kexts were not loading in the table, and that you'd enabled both the trackpad kext under VoodooPS2Controller.kext as well as a VoodooSynaptics driver as well. I've disabled the PS2 one for now.

4) Slightly old kernel patches used for AMD
Two extra tables were missing from the Kernel > Patches section so I've added those to the tables.

5) Kext loadout was erratic
Your kext loadout overall was erratic and mixed. Some kexts that should be loaded earlier in the table were moved to the bottom so I've gone ahead and rearranged it all. I've also updated the EFI to OC 0.9.4.

6) Removed Vega 3 device references from the PCI ID table
I saw that you had referenced the Vega 3 card in your PCI ID table. Your Acer laptop uses a Vega 8 chip so I've removed it for you.

With the above changes, it should work a lot better. Give it a try.

Attachments

• EFI updated OC 0.9.4.zip
    20.7 MB · Views: 4

lev12354

AMD OS X Member
Hi @lev12354,

You mention you still have problems with your setup? You should be glad to know we are here. :)

So I've had a look at your EFI today, and it seems I've uncovered quite a number of things. Here are some of the issues I found:

1) Three SSDT disable settings were enabled - SSDT-DDGPU.aml, SSDT-Disable-RTX3060.aml & -wegnoegpu.
Disabling the DGPU should only require one of these settings using correct IRQ setup (and if possible, disabled DGPU in the BIOS). It could be a huge factor as to why your system was feeling unstable. I've decided to turn off the SSDTs and use the -wegnoegpu setting.

NootedRed is now confirmed fully working on the Vega 8 series. If you plan to use the NootedRed (which I think you should) you must also remove any -radvesa references from the boot-arg so I've gone ahead and done that. I've also updated the NootedRed with a better compiled version.

I checked that your Voodoo kexts were not loading in the table, and that you'd enabled both the trackpad kext under VoodooPS2Controller.kext as well as a VoodooSynaptics driver as well. I've disabled the PS2 one for now.

Two extra tables were missing from the Kernel > Patches section so I've added those to the tables.

Your kext loadout overall was erratic and mixed. Some kexts that should be loaded earlier in the table were moved to the bottom so I've gone ahead and rearranged it all. I've also updated the EFI to OC 0.9.4.

I saw that you had referenced the Vega 3 card in your PCI ID table. Your Acer laptop uses a Vega 8 chip so I've removed it for you.

Hello! Nice to see you again! I'm fine, how about you? As for your contributions:

1) Nootedred works for me only in an already installed system, and therefore I turned it off for the duration of the installation and prescribed -radwesa. On this occasion, I spoke with the developer of this kext and he said that this was due to the connection of my monitor via the eDP port. And if I run it in the installer, then I just have a black screen, but the installer itself works

2) After these edits in the installer, the hangs seem to have disappeared, but now two new problems have appeared:

2.1) Touchpad stopped working

2.2) Your version of nootedred does not allow the system to start (attached a photo). And my version of nootedred now starts the system as an installer - only with a black screen (but the system works, because the voice assistant is heard from the speakers)

Attachments

• IMG_20230702_153217.jpg
    IMG_20230702_153217.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 18

lev12354

AMD OS X Member
Hi @lev12354,

I also tried to transfer your changes to the kernel (add) and acpi to my version of efi , and now in my config with my version of nootedred only a black screen appears on the installed system. Below is a photo with the settings for the nvidia video card in a modified bios

I personally think that the black screen appeared due to a change in the parameters of the add sub-item in the kernel

Attachments

• IMG_20230702_205255.jpg
    IMG_20230702_205255.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Okay, let’s try this. If it’s the case (you’re getting a black screen) then what you could try is switch over to using the SSDT-Disable-RTX3060.aml only and see what comes up.

lev12354

AMD OS X Member
Okay, let’s try this. If it’s the case (you’re getting a black screen) then what you could try is switch over to using the SSDT-Disable-RTX3060.aml only and see what comes up.
by disabling ssdt-ddgpu and -wegnoegpu, and enabling the AML you named. nothing has changed

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try this Revised EFI, see if this fixes some of the issues you are facing.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.4 MB · Views: 8

lev12354

AMD OS X Member
Try this Revised EFI, see if this fixes some of the issues you are facing.
Thanks for the suggested efi, but in ventura it hangs, either in the installer or in the system at this stage

Attachments

• IMG_20230702_231555.jpg
    IMG_20230702_231555.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
If I recall correctly these laptops came with NVMe drives that caused issues in macOS.
So, are you using the original NVMe drive that came with the laptop, or have you swapped it for a macOS compatible NVMe drive?

You appear to have another drive installed, other than the macOS drive. Is this a Spinning HDD or SSD attached to the AHCI SATA controller?
Removing this second drive from the laptop while troubleshooting the macOS setup might help.

lev12354

AMD OS X Member
If I recall correctly these laptops came with NVMe drives that caused issues in macOS.
So, are you using the original NVMe drive that came with the laptop, or have you swapped it for a macOS compatible NVMe drive?

You appear to have another drive installed, other than the macOS drive. Is this a Spinning HDD or SSD attached to the AHCI SATA controller?
Removing this second drive from the laptop while troubleshooting the macOS setup might help.
I'm using the nvme that came with this laptop (kingston oem)

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
OK, that's not one of the NVMe drives that tended to be problematic. So it may be OK for use with macOS.
Do you know the full make and model information of the NVMe drive, so we can see which Controller it uses. As the issue is usually related to the drive using an incompatible controller.

What about having any other drives installed, do you have a second drive in the system?

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I also tried to transfer your changes to the kernel (add) and acpi to my version of efi , and now in my config with my version of nootedred only a black screen appears on the installed system. Below is a photo with the settings for the nvidia video card in a modified bios

I personally think that the black screen appeared due to a change in the parameters of the add sub-item in the kernel
I should have also mentioned this before, but NootedRed needs to be disabled if you are using the installer, and only enabled afterwards for full function. I guess that's the reason why I believe the developer told you to enable -radvesa in the first place (as that enables the non-accelerated VESA mode).

lev12354

AMD OS X Member
OK, that's not one of the NVMe drives that tended to be problematic. So it may be OK for use with macOS.
Do you know the full make and model information of the NVMe drive, so we can see which Controller it uses. As the issue is usually related to the drive using an incompatible controller.

What about having any other drives installed, do you have a second drive in the system?
nvme - KINGSTON OM8PDP3512B-AA1

Of the disks, I only have an old Toshiba hard drive.

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
I should have also mentioned this before, but NootedRed needs to be disabled if you are using the installer, and only enabled afterwards for full function. I guess that's the reason why I believe the developer told you to enable -radvesa in the first place (as that enables the non-accelerated VESA mode).
Not at all. NootedRed works in recovery mode.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.