Stuck on 'OCB: LoadImage Filed - Unsupported' when trying to boot from USB

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
I'm trying to install Monterey on my laptop but keep running into the error 'OCB: LoadImage failed - Unsupported'. I've tried tweaking my config.plist to some suggestions I saw online but nothing has worked.

My debug output is here: https://pastebin.com/6gHfQR0k

Opencore version: 0.7.8

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5584

CPU: i7-8565U (Whiskey Lake)

GPU: Intel UHD620

I've attached my EFI and config.plist, any help will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• config.plist
    36.3 KB · Views: 1
  • EFI.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 1

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Your config.plist is corrupted so that it can't be opened using ProperTree. This is the error message that appears when I try to open your config, both the standalone version and the one in the /EFI/OC folder.

Screenshot 2022-04-12 at 16.12.15.png You need to check your config, using whichever app you created/edited it in, to remove this error.

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
Your config.plist is corrupted so that it can't be opened using ProperTree. This is the error message that appears when I try to open your config, both the standalone version and the one in the /EFI/OC folder.

View attachment 5648 You need to check your config, using whichever app you created/edited it in, to remove this error.
Thanks for letting me know, I've now removed the error

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try this revised EFI folder.

Just add your Serial Number etc. to the PlatformInfo section and see if this helps.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 1
Solution

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I just looked at the Info.plist for your USBPorts.kext. It is missing a pair of ports, namely the USB3 physical ports, which would be named SS01, SS02 or similar.

All you have shown and active in the kext are the 3 x USB2 (HS01, HS02 & HS03) ports and the 3 x Internal USB2 ports (HS04, HS05 & HS06). As shown in the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2022-04-12 at 19.10.28.png

Your laptop has 3 x External USB ports.
  • 2 x USB3 on the left side, along side the HDMI and Ethernet port
  • 1 x USB2 on the right side, along side the card reader slot.
So you are missing 2 x USB3 ports from your setup.
Plus the physical USB2 port is set with the wrong connector type, it should be set with USB2 (2) not USB3 (3).

You need to fix these issues before you use the USBPorts.kext. It might be better to disable the kext in your config.plist as having the wrong connector type can cause issues when booting macOS.

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
I just looked at the Info.plist for your USBPorts.kext. It is missing a pair of ports, namely the USB3 physical ports, which would be named SS01, SS02 or similar.

All you have shown and active in the kext are the 3 x USB2 (HS01, HS02 & HS03) ports and the 3 x Internal USB2 ports (HS04, HS05 & HS06). As shown in the screenshot below.

View attachment 5652

Your laptop has 3 x External USB ports.
  • 2 x USB3 on the left side, along side the HDMI and Ethernet port
  • 1 x USB2 on the right side, along side the card reader slot.
So you are missing 2 x USB3 ports from your setup.
Plus the physical USB2 port is set with the wrong connector type, it should be set with USB2 (2) not USB3 (3).

You need to fix these issues before you use the USBPorts.kext. It might be better to disable the kext in your config.plist as having the wrong connector type can cause issues when booting macOS.
Thank you very much for this, I’ll definitely change that. I’ve loaded into the Monterey installer. Can I ask, what did you change in the EFI to make it work?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
SetupVirtualMap=True was the main change.

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
SetupVirtualMap=True was the main change.
Weird I thought I had that as true. I’ve run into another issue though, disk utility isn’t seeing the hard drive I want to install macOS on, is there a way to fix that?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Probably but I am not sure what is causing the drive not to show in Disk Utility.

Could be as simple as telling Disk Utility to show all devices.

Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 00.57.21.png Only volumes shown in Disk Utility by default.

Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 00.57.35.png If you select the 'View' dropdown tab at the top of the Window and select 'Show All Devices'

Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 00.57.44.png Now all the Containers/drives are shown.

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
Probably but I am not sure what is causing the drive not to show in Disk Utility.

Could be as simple as telling Disk Utility to show all devices.

View attachment 5660 Only volumes shown in Disk Utility by default.

View attachment 5661 If you select the 'View' dropdown tab at the top of the Window and select 'Show All Devices'

View attachment 5659 Now all the Containers/drives are shown.
Realised it was because there was no SATA kexts so it couldn’t read my SSD. Added CtlnaAHCIPort.kext and that allowed it to be seen by macOS.

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
Try this revised EFI folder.

Just add your Serial Number etc. to the PlatformInfo section and see if this helps.
When I try to do an OC Snapshot on Propertree I get this error. Any way to fix it?

Attachments

• cmd_Y0PQ4oFXvl.png
    cmd_Y0PQ4oFXvl.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 5

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Not that I am aware of, as I have never seen that error before, especially not when using the OC Snapshot feature in ProperTree.

Have you renamed the EFI folder to EFI.lower?

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
Not that I am aware of, as I have never seen that error before, especially not when using the OC Snapshot feature in ProperTree.

Have you renamed the EFI folder to EFI.lower?
The EFI name is still the same, if I do a Clean Snapshot and then a normal snapshot it works fine but then macOS won’t boot as I’m guessing it changes the EFI too much.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You need to understand what the OC Clean Snapshot feature in ProperTree does.
  1. The OC Clean Snapshot feature will examine your current OC folder, it asks you to point to the OC folder and select it before it does anything.
  2. It then inspects the OC folder and any sub-folders to see which SSDT's, Drivers, Kexts and Tools are present in those folders.
  3. It makes changes to the config.plist based on what it finds, i.e. if you Add or Remove a kext, Driver or Tool from one of the sub-folders, the entry for the kext, Driver or Tool will be removed/deleted from the config.plist.
  4. Simple way to make changes to the config.plist without adding any user errors, as is common when manually adding an SSDT, Kext, Driver or Tool entry to a config.plist.
What are you changing in the OC folder, or sub-folders, for you to need to use the OC Snapshot or OC Clean Snapshot?

You don't need to use the feature if all you are doing is adding the PlatformInfo serial number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID to the config.plist.

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
You need to understand what the OC Clean Snapshot feature in ProperTree does.
  1. The OC Clean Snapshot feature will examine your current OC folder, it asks you to point to the OC folder and select it before it does anything.
  2. It then inspects the OC folder and any sub-folders to see which SSDT's, Drivers, Kexts and Tools are present in those folders.
  3. It makes changes to the config.plist based on what it finds, i.e. if you Add or Remove a kext, Driver or Tool from one of the sub-folders, the entry for the kext, Driver or Tool will be removed/deleted from the config.plist.
  4. Simple way to make changes to the config.plist without adding any user errors, as is common when manually adding an SSDT, Kext, Driver or Tool entry to a config.plist.
What are you changing in the OC folder, or sub-folders, for you to need to use the OC Snapshot or OC Clean Snapshot?

You don't need to use the feature if all you are doing is adding the PlatformInfo serial number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID to the config.plist.
I’m trying to add some more kexts in and this would be the easier way to do it rather than manually putting them in.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Which Kexts?

Are you using the latest version of ProperTree?

Uzair999

AMD OS X Member
Which Kexts?

Are you using the latest version of ProperTree?
I downloaded the new version of ProperTree and everything now works fine.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.