[Solved] Successful install; system freezes shortly after login

toastedmiku

AMD OS X Member
Hello, not sure if this technically counts as post-install as I haven’t been able to post-install anything…

Here is my system build:
3950x
X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi (ITX)
Power Color Red Devil 5700xt
64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CL16
Sabrent Rocket 1TB Gen4 (MacOS)
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (Windows 10)

Basically, I have installed Catalina 10.5.5 with OC 0.5.9 - Debug. I say that I haven’t been able to post-install because after login I am able to use the system for 1-2 minutes before it completely freezes. I’ve attempted to wait several minutes for the system to unfreeze but usually give-up after 10+ minutes and do a force power down.

I’ve been studying the OpenCore guide for some months now and referencing success stories in anticipation of this build. Unfortunately, nothing that I’ve read has so far helped me in solving this freezing error. I’m including my EFI folder below with my config.plist if anyone wants to check it out.

I’ve tried to run my own troubleshoot using the opencore guide/various forum threads but have so far found no luck. Couple thoughts I had:

1. First thing that I’m curious about, I generated the SMBIOS once I logged into the OSX then edited my config.plist. Any possibility this is causing freezing when compared pre-install vs. post-install?
2. Found a thread on tonymac where user said freezing was due to faulty RAM. I ran memtest86 and my hardware seems fine. Also thought this might’ve been the issue since I experienced occasional lag/glitches on Windows (I now believe this is because I haven’t update GPU Drivers).
3. A couple threads on the AMD OSX forums mentioned that the 5700xt needs special treatment.
* Better to use: -wegnoegpu in the boot argument during install then edit the argument: agdpmod=pikera post-install.
* Only issue I see is that people were using this argument BECAUSE they were having issues installing. My system installed flawlessly with the ‘agdpmod=pikera’ argument. Any idea if this will make a difference if I reinstall with ‘-wegnoegpu’ and modify post-install?
4.. I’m currently using the f11 BIOS on the X570 mobo. How much could performance vary if I flash a newer BIOS, like the f20b for the X570 series. I tried searching if anyone’s done a test with various BIOS versions before but haven’t come across anything.

Any ideas or pointers on what to do next? It gives me hope that the system properly installed. The task now is to stop the freezing so I can start working on post-installations.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 6

slead

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Your platform info is completely missing, I am not sure how detrimental that is, but it is missing.
Try creating a SMBIOS with GenSMBIOS and populate that part in the config file.

Also in your config file set the following to True:
in Misc > Tools > 0
Auxiliary = True
Enabled = True

good luck

toastedmiku

AMD OS X Member
Your platform info is completely missing, I am not sure how detrimental that is, but it is missing.
Try creating a SMBIOS with GenSMBIOS and populate that part in the config file.

Also in your config file set the following to True:
in Misc > Tools > 0

good luck
Hey Slead! Thanks for the response. Yeah, i included the config.plist without the platform info but I did generate the SMBIOS upon my first login on Catalina.

I guess it’s worth a shot doing a fresh install with platform info filled out pre-install. I’ll also try with those two changes in Tools.

toastedmiku

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone, just wanted to give an update on my issue. I thought it would be useful to add here in case anyone ran into a similar issue.

SOLVED:
If you'r experiencing intense freezing within your system, this is apparently related to hardware. The 5700xt has some stability issues when using PCIE 4.0. Make sure to enter your motherboard's BIOS and change your settings from: Auto/4.0 to 3.0.

This has solved all instability issues for me and I now have a smoothly running Hac Pro!

armanijohnny

AMD OS X Member
Hello everyone, just wanted to give an update on my issue. I thought it would be useful to add here in case anyone ran into a similar issue.

SOLVED:
If you'r experiencing intense freezing within your system, this is apparently related to hardware. The 5700xt has some stability issues when using PCIE 4.0. Make sure to enter your motherboard's BIOS and change your settings from: Auto/4.0 to 3.0.

This has solved all instability issues for me and I now have a smoothly running Hac Pro!

Wow toastedmiku thank you so much for posting on how you resolved this! I've been banging my head trying to figure this out for the last few days now until I found this post of your. My build is pretty much identical to yours. Thanks again!

toastedmiku

AMD OS X Member
Wow toastedmiku thank you so much for posting on how you resolved this! I've been banging my head trying to figure this out for the last few days now until I found this post of your. My build is pretty much identical to yours. Thanks again!
Glad my update could help! I figured people would run into a similar issue, and there weren't that many concrete solutions out there. Sucks that you can't utilize PCIE 4.0 as that's why I purchased the Sabrent NVME 4.0, but the difference is marginal I guess. Cheers!

P.S. I also see you built in the NXZT H1. I did as well haha.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
At least in my BIOS I could set only the GPU to PCIe 3.0, everything else is still on PCIe 4.0.

armanijohnny

AMD OS X Member
Glad my update could help! I figured people would run into a similar issue, and there weren't that many concrete solutions out there. Sucks that you can't utilize PCIE 4.0 as that's why I purchased the Sabrent NVME 4.0, but the difference is marginal I guess. Cheers!

P.S. I also see you built in the NXZT H1. I did as well haha.

Oh wow our build is pretty much identical then for the most part if you have the NZXT H1 case. Well then let me ask you a couple things if you don't mind.
  • Have you figured out sleep/wake or done the USB mapping?
  • in order for me to shutdown the machine I have to turn wifi off. I guess its an easy work around but do you have a fix for that?
  • What kind of benchmark scores are you seeing on Geekbench 5 for single and multi? Mine seems to come in lower then it should. However on cinebench and blender it all benches well within what is expected for the 3950X. Not a huge deal but given you have a similar build it'll be interesting to see.
  • Single Core: 1,332
  • Multicore: 12,934

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.