Ryzen 5 7600X + ASRock B650E PG Riptide ATX - Sonoma installer freezes at 12 Minutes remaining

Porco

AMD OS X Member
Hello Everyone,
After some hardware headaches, I've finally gotten my EFI right and manage to successfully boot Opencore and launch the installer.
I built my EFI myself following the AMD Dortania guide. Files should be the latest, given I downloaded everything last week.

Everything seems fine, however every time I try to install MacOS Sonoma I get stuck at 12 minutes remaining. This appears to be an issue with NVRAM entries getting written for the reboot.
I've looked at the Dortania guide and tried multiple things, but none have worked so far. In particular I paid attention to this section: 2 Minutes Remaining

Looking for any help to get this working. I've been running MacOS on my thinkpad using opencore for some years so I have a decent understanding of what is going on in the config.plist I think.

Below is my hardware, and attached is the installer Log, OC log and my EFI with SMBIOS info stripped out.
  • AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • ASRock B650E PG RIPTIDE WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard
  • XFX Speedster QICK 308 Black Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB Video Card
  • Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory (CMH32GX5M2B5600C36K)
  • Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive + 240GB NVME (Linux) + 1TB NVME SSD (Windows)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 58
  • MacOS Installer Log.jpg
    MacOS Installer Log.jpg
    943.9 KB · Views: 34
  • opencore-2023-10-12-094619.txt
    256 KB · Views: 21

Porco

AMD OS X Member
Trying right now with Clearing the NVRAM again.
Here is the current EFI. - Everything I believe is according to the guide, apart from DevirtualiseMmio which is needed to get to the installer screen for me.

I do have access to another mac. I downloaded MacOS Sonoma installer from the appstore and ran the terminal command to write it to the USB. Then I added my EFI to the USB installer in the EFI partition.

PS: Thanks for the continued help. Appreciate it!

Attachments

• EFI 2.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 14

Porco

AMD OS X Member
Okay, some changes finally! At 12 minutes I now get a black screen and nothing. PC keeps running.
I left it running, but eventually had to hard-reset it. No install gets picked up and the installer starts from the beginning again.

I suspect GPU driver related?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Only graphics kext in your setup is WhateverGreen.kext, that is paired with agdpmod=pikera boot argument for your RX 6600 XT.

You could try the NootRX.kext, that works with Radeon RX6600, RX6700, RX6800 & RX6900 AMD GPUs. It doesn't require the agdpmod=pikera boot argument. It works with my RX6700 XT card in Ventura with no issues.

Kext can be downloaded from the Actions tab, check each Action update for a folder called 'Artefacts'. Download the linked folder and use the Release kext. You need a Github account to be able to download the kext.

This kext works with my RX 6700 XT AMD card and is set to work with other Navi AMD cards.

Having reviewed your EFI I would ask the following question.
  • If your system requires SSDT-CPUR.aml table, like the B550 series of motherboards, do you need to disable SetupVirtualMap in the ACPI > Quirks section to match?
Other than that anomaly and the one you pointed out above, your EFI looks OK, with nothing standing out as being an issue.

The usual cause for the late Kernel Panic during the installation of macOS is a corrupted macOS installer, but I take it you have downloaded a new Installation application and restored it to a USB pen drive.

Can you try using a different USB pen drive, as they can sometimes cause unexplained issues when installing macOS.

Porco

AMD OS X Member
So I swapped out WhateverGreen for NootRX as you suggested. Doesn't seem to have made a difference. Everything runs exactly the same as before.

Resetting the NVRAM before install takes me to a black screen like I mentioned at the 12 minute mark, where it used to freeze.

If I disable SetupVirtualMap, I can't get to the installer, OC just freezes with some errors.

I made a fresh copy of the installer (re-download, re-write), but again no changes. Tried to use another drive as well, but that one appears to have some errors when making the installer - so I trust it even less.

Frustrating since I feel so close.

Porco

AMD OS X Member
Alright, so I ended up installing MacOS (ventura) via KVM directly onto the drive. Seemed to have worked, however once I try to boot the disk bare-metal, using my EFI, OC crashes.
Attached is the log. I don't see anything immediately apparent, but perhaps you notice something?

PS: on first boot in the virtualized environment I got a message saying something about a disk hash mismatch? No clue what that is about.

Attachments

• opencore-2023-10-20-175213.txt
    256 KB · Views: 3

Porco

AMD OS X Member
Success!
So unfortunately I'm not quite sure what got it working, but after building a MMIO whitelist, and just stubbornly rebooting and clearing NVRAM, I finally managed to boot into the recovery drive from the bare metal. I Reinstalled the OS from there, and after a few more boots I got it running.
I then proceeded to update to Sonoma, and it worked!
I am still getting a weird error where one in two boots seems to fail, but at least now I can get into the OS.

Only thing I can tell is not working at the moment is the Wifi+Bluetooth, but I think it's just because the mediatek card is not compatible.

Anyway, for anyone with a similar setup, here is a very rough EFI that I managed to use. Meanwhile I will keep working on the setup and cleaning it up.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 33

lucky_Luke

AMD OS X Member
Success!
So unfortunately I'm not quite sure what got it working, but after building a MMIO whitelist, and just stubbornly rebooting and clearing NVRAM, I finally managed to boot into the recovery drive from the bare metal. I Reinstalled the OS from there, and after a few more boots I got it running.
I then proceeded to update to Sonoma, and it worked!
I am still getting a weird error where one in two boots seems to fail, but at least now I can get into the OS.

Only thing I can tell is not working at the moment is the Wifi+Bluetooth, but I think it's just because the mediatek card is not compatible.

Anyway, for anyone with a similar setup, here is a very rough EFI that I managed to use. Meanwhile I will keep working on the setup and cleaning it up.
I have the exact same set up as yours. No gpu. Did you try it with igpu

Porco

AMD OS X Member
Hi @lucky_Luke
Sorry for the long wait for a reply. I think it might work, I remember before I got the working GPU, I was trying to boot without it, and I was able to get to the installer and show a display out of the HDMI port built into the motherboard. Not sure if there was any graphics acceleration or not. Why not just give it a try?

Porco

AMD OS X Member
Hello for anyone reading this.

Since last time I've made some updates/changes.
1) I mapped the USBs (plist in EFI folder)
2) Moved from Whatevergreen to NootRX. Not sure if there is much of a performance change, but it seems like a more elegant solution. No more need for the agdpmod=pikera boot argument.
3) Bought a Fenvi T919. After removing the Bluetooth kexts, it seems to work natively with no work (At least for bluetooth). See below for more info.
4) Now running on WD_BLACK 1TB SN850 NVMe.

Things not yet working:
1) Crash on some boots. Sometimes when rebooting I get a kernel panic and the system reboots. On the third consecutive boot it seems to work. Not sure if this is due to MMIMOwhitelist, but disabling it altogether, doesn't let me boot into MacOS. Might be something with NVRAM. Will try to collect some logs from opencore and diagnose.

2) Airdrop and other features
Despite the Fenvi T919 having native compatibility, it seems apple dropped broadcom support entirely for Sonoma. So while Bluetooth works, wifi doesn't and therefore things like airdop are not working. There seems to be some ways to re-enable the wifi driver, but requires rooting the install, which stops filevault from working. It's also quite fragile and complicated, when it comes to updates.

This really sucks, since I would really like to get this working, but also want disk encryption. Hopefully someone releases a kext or some other workaround one day. If anyone has any info I would really appreciate it. Strangely I occasionally have some continuity features pop up in the dock....

3) Sleep not working:
Despite mapping the USBs, and marking the networking devices as internal (255) Sleep still doesn't work. If anyone has any links or tips on how to debug this, I would really appreciate it.
I use sleep quite often, on other devices.

4) The samsung drive, which currently hosts windows mounts everytime I reboot. While it seems to work, knowing this drive has some issues, I would rather block it while in MacOS.
I tried to follow this guide, but couldn't find the right address. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/extras/spoof.html
Maybe because it is an NVMe drive, and not a PCIe device things work differently. Would also appreciate any tips here as well.

Anyway, appreciate any pointers if anyone has them.

Here is my current hardware:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($239.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B650E PG RIPTIDE WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($104.13 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon) MacOS
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ B&H) Windows
Video Card: XFX Speedster QICK 308 Black Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design North ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Corsair)
Wireless Network Adapter: fenvi FV-T919 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCIe x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Transcend 240GB M.2 SATA III 6GB/S SSD MTS420 3D TLC Flash 42mm Form Factor Manjaro
Total: $1412.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-11-25 06:55 EST-0500

Attachments

• EFI 25-11-2023_No Serial.zip
    12.5 MB · Views: 34

Porco

AMD OS X Member
Hello, just following up for posterity:
I was reading this thread, given I was having the same error from Sleep failing to wake. I couldn't find the DVMT-preallocation setting in my BIOS, but I did notice a setting to disable the iGPU if no display is detected. Given the issue seemed tied to VRAM allocation, I thought I would give it a shot. To my delight, it has fixed my sleep issues. I am now able to sleep and resume the system without any issues (yet).
Hope this helps someone!

WantsToPetYourKitty

AMD OS X Member
OP we have very similar hardware and I fixed a few of the same problems with my rig. Read my comments below

Things not yet working:
1) Crash on some boots. Sometimes when rebooting I get a kernel panic and the system reboots. On the third consecutive boot it seems to work. Not sure if this is due to MMIMOwhitelist, but disabling it altogether, doesn't let me boot into MacOS. Might be something with NVRAM. Will try to collect some logs from opencore and diagnose.

This smells of an issue with kernel address space layout randomization (KASLR). I noticed in your boot-args that you don't have a KASLR slide value specified. KASLR is a security feature of the kernel where the kernel itself loads into random memory addresses on each boot, to deter hacking. Some of your memory addresses might already be "spoken for" by your chipset. Basically when the kernel tries to load itself into one of these areas, it has a shitfit and won't boot. This explains why you seem to sometimes have luck when rebooting X number of times - when you reboot and it works, you got lucky because the kernel loaded into a region of memory that was free.

Read this page of Dortania's guide. I guarantee you it will help with this issue:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.