captncreepy

AMD OS X Member
Hi all! Here for a bit of education and camaraderie...

This is my first endeavor in 'hackintosh - long time Mac user. I've successfully loaded Monterey at present and previously Ventura but had memory issues. Looking for some advice on how to best proceed.

CC

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
If the memory issues are related to your AMD graphics, where you only have 512 or 1024mb of RAM assigned and you can’t find the option to increase the amount of RAM for the graphics, then you need to have a look at the GitHub page linked below.

captncreepy

AMD OS X Member
I was actually having trouble at 8G. I don't recall the specific message, something along the lines of failed to allocate an amount with a remaining amount that repeated hundreds of times. From what I could tell, the fix didn't look simple nor efficient. Does that change anything from your perspective...?

It made me a bit nervous, thus my downgrade to Monterey - which isn't quite as dialed in as Ventura was for me. I've been trying to boot Sonoma to no avail, I'm clearly missing something! Would appreciate feedback on my files if you'd be so inclined? Oh, and I'm using the smokeless booter, thanks for the recommendation.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Post a copy of your OpenCore EFI folder, I'm happy to have a look to see if anything needs tweaking.

Just remember to redact/delete the serial number from your config.plist before posting a copy here.

captncreepy

AMD OS X Member
I've attached my plist, much appreciated!

Attachments

• redacted_config.plist
    52.1 KB · Views: 0

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You need to post a copy of your Whole EFI folder, not just the config.plist. As the config doesn’t always tell us the whole story about your OC setup.

captncreepy

AMD OS X Member
You need to post a copy of your Whole EFI folder, not just the config.plist. As the config doesn’t always tell us the whole story about your OC setup.

Sorry about that. Attached.

Had to trash the Resources folder due to upload constraints, I'll put it up separately should it be needed.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    44.6 MB · Views: 1

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Sorry about that. Attached.

Had to trash the Resources folder due to upload constraints, I'll put it up separately should it be needed.
The first thing I noticed is you are loading Whatevergreen.kext which will not enable graphics for your AMD iGPU, you should be using Nootedred.kext instead. You can try the attached which uses your USB Map but an older version of Nootedred which should work with Ventura.

Attachments

• EFItrig.zip
    35.2 MB · Views: 0

captncreepy

AMD OS X Member
The first thing I noticed is you are loading Whatevergreen.kext which will not enable graphics for your AMD iGPU, you should be using Nootedred.kext instead. You can try the attached which uses your USB Map but an older version of Nootedred which should work with Ventura.
I actually reinstalled Ventura yesterday - read somewhere to load without the Nooted kext - likely timing on my upload. With only evergreen I have graphics, just crap graphics. I've also picked up a Display Port cable to try and help move my install forward as I've seen a couple places that my igpu would need disabled. Still no luck with Sonoma, however, I'm not having the memory issues I experienced last time installing Ventura so great news there. I'm guessing the change is due to the DP?

Thank you much for the input.
CC

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 08.44.47.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 08.44.47.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

captncreepy

AMD OS X Member
I actually reinstalled Ventura yesterday - read somewhere to load without the Nooted kext - likely timing on my upload. With only evergreen I have graphics, just crap graphics. I've also picked up a Display Port cable to try and help move my install forward as I've seen a couple places that my igpu would need disabled. Still no luck with Sonoma, however, I'm not having the memory issues I experienced last time installing Ventura so great news there. I'm guessing the change is due to the DP?

CC
I spoke too soon on the memory issue... it has returned.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 08.55.38.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 08.55.38.png
    433.9 KB · Views: 6

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

CC
Yes, you can install without Nootedred and then enable it afterwards to get accelerated graphics. Just be aware you get nothing from Whatevergreen.kext., you'd get the exact same result without it, install will complete but graphics are crap and not worth it.

If you had a compatible graphics card you would need to disable the iGPU but without a graphics card if you disable the iGPU there will be nothing providing video. Black screen all the way......ha. Using Display Port is fine but if your EFI was setup correctly it wouldn't solve the issues you had using HDMi. DP or HDMI output should be interchangeable.

captncreepy

AMD OS X Member
Yes, you can install without Nootedred and then enable it afterwards to get accelerated graphics. Just be aware you get nothing from Whatevergreen.kext., you'd get the exact same result without it, install will complete but graphics are crap and not worth it.

If you had a compatible graphics card you would need to disable the iGPU but without a graphics card if you disable the iGPU there will be nothing providing video. Black screen all the way......ha. Using Display Port is fine but if your EFI was setup correctly it wouldn't solve the issues you had using HDMi. DP or HDMI output should be interchangeable.
That makes sense. Any thoughts as to why / what I'm missing to get to the restore screen on Sonoma? I can't even get to the first reboot...! Attached is file I've been working from today. I'm chasing my tail trying to correct errors at this point, catching the 'usr/standalone/os.dmg root hash' error.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • opencore-2024-06-01-190301.txt
    256 KB · Views: 1
  • opencore-2024-06-01-190639.txt
    256 KB · Views: 1
  • opencore-2024-06-01-190715.txt
    256 KB · Views: 0

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
That makes sense. Any thoughts as to why / what I'm missing to get to the restore screen on Sonoma? I can't even get to the first reboot...! Attached is file I've been working from today. I'm chasing my tail trying to correct errors at this point, catching the 'usr/standalone/os.dmg root hash' error.
This is what I use to boot Sonoma on my mini AMD system, see if it helps. It has no USB Mapping which you should be able to add later once install completes. If you get a prohibited sign try a different USB port.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    47.1 MB · Views: 3

captncreepy

AMD OS X Member
This is what I use to boot Sonoma on my mini AMD system, see if it helps. It has no USB Mapping which you should be able to add later once install completes. If you get a prohibited sign try a different USB port.
I do believe it's gonna go if I can stop the boot loop. haven't gotten Sonoma to progress this far yet. I've stripped the BT and Wifi kext, set SB to disabled and am still rebooting. Did any other recommendations?

Thanks!
CC

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I do believe it's gonna go if I can stop the boot loop. haven't gotten Sonoma to progress this far yet. I've stripped the BT and Wifi kext, set SB to disabled and am still rebooting. Did any other recommendations?

Thanks!
CC
Here, this has Misc/ Security/SecureBootModel set to Disabled instead of Default. If it installs you can change that back afterwards

Attachments

• EFI-2.zip
    47.1 MB · Views: 2

captncreepy

AMD OS X Member
Here, this has Misc/ Security/SecureBootModel set to Disabled instead of Default. If it installs you can change that back afterwards
I'm still catching the boot loop for some reason.. will keep troubleshooting but wanted to thank you for the time and help!

CC

captncreepy

AMD OS X Member
I found the issue!! There must have been some prior build artifacts on my ssd that were snagging the boot loop and interfering with my boot to recovery, I changed drives and it went immediately. Thank you, Leesurone, I would still be digging through debug info had you not shared a working file for basically my hardware!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 1.45.28 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 1.45.28 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.