[RESOLVED] Ventura 13.4 Installation Troubles on ASUS X670E ProArt with 7950X

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
I'm hoping I could get some more sets of eyes on my EFI/config to see what I'm missing. I was hoping for a smooth transition over to this motherboard, but I keep getting stuck. I am getting to the bootpicker, but then when I select install MacOS, the Apple logo appears, the progress bar might fill up about a quarter of the way, and then I'll get prohibited sign with the apple support website (first pic attached). I thought that maybe I needed to try the different MMIO whitelist values, and using just the first actually got me into the MacOS recovery/installation! I was able to change language to english, format my SSD, but then after I tried to install, I got an error message that my installer was damaged. Oddly enough, I recreated my USB stick, used the same EFI, but could never get back to the installer... With my original ITX build, all I was missing was the AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext so I'm hoping it's another small silly mistake!

Parts being used:
  • 7950X CPU- iGPU disabled in BIOS
  • ASUS X670E ProArt Motherboard, should be following all recommended BIOS settings, i've triple checked.
  • 5600XT for installation purposes- will move to 6950XT once I can get the PCIE address to spoof the device-id using gfxutil once after I install MacOS
  • 64GB (32x2) Corsair Dominator Platinum
  • WD Black SN850X 2TB NVME (for MacOS)
  • Fenvi T919- first time going pci for wifi/bluetooth, so I probably also have not set this up as I should.
I've reused much of my EFI from my ASUS X670E-I build, however, I have:
  • regenerated MMIO values (though I believe they were the same as the ITX)
  • Updated SBUS for my motherboard (left original SSDT-SBUS-MCHC
  • Created new USB map in windows, though I've never been great at this...
  • You might see I disabled some ethernet things for now, while I get things figured out
  • Trying to use MacPro and the same platform info, serial, patches, etc as my original build, since CPU didn't change.
Attached I have my EFI (with some info removed) and the last OC debug log I've generated. Again, I started by trying each MMIO value, going one by one through the list as well as some combinations, but for some reason I can't get back into the recovery/installer. From the debug log, I always end up here as my last three lines (again, full log attached)
281:857 00:375 OCI4: Matching override 09B16B2B with 09B16B2B - success
284:434 02:576 OCSMC: SmcReadValue Key 4D535463 Size 1
284:709 00:275 OCSMC: SmcReadValue Key 4D534163 Size 2
Googling around, I've seen many people in the past encounter this, but with just as many solutions haha. Hoping someone with more expertise could share any insight. Could it be GPU related? Is there a boot arg for 5600xt I'm forgetting about (I am using agdpmod=pikera)?. Is it related to USB ports? This board has more than I've ever had in my life lol! Should I create an install USB stick with a slightly earlier version of ventura or OC? Something else simple that I'm forgetting? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Hoping I can get back to troubleshooting tomorrow evening, but may even have to delay until the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_3367.jpeg
    IMG_3367.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • EFI.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • opencore-2023-06-06-194605.txt
    256 KB · Views: 4

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Update: may be getting closer? Recreated an EFI based on CaseySJ's X670E Gene guide, but edited for my components and disabled things I either didn't have, or (I think!!) I didn't need. No longer ending up in the error screen as shown in the original post, and the booter slowly loads to about halfway. Interestingly, log still ends up in a similar spot?
386:207 00:071 OCSMC: SmcReadValue Key 4D535463 Size 1
386:278 00:071 OCSMC: SmcReadValue Key 4D534163 Size 2
386:350 00:071 AAPL: #[EB|LOG:DT] 2023-06-08T14:11:14
386:428 00:077 AAPL: #[EB|LOG:EXITBS:START] 2023-06-08T14:11:14

Still flabbergasted that I got into the install/recovery but now I can't get back! I've gotta be missing something in my EFI or BIOS that when I figure out will have me smacking my forehead haha. Looking to pick this back up either tomorrow or Saturday, maybe even a full rebuild from scratch. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    41.9 MB · Views: 17
  • opencore-2023-06-08-140448.txt
    256 KB · Views: 5

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Update for anyone wondering, I was able to get Ventura 13.4 installed Friday night, and it was indeed a silly mistake. Yes, I created the USB map in windows with USB Tool Box, but no, I did not remember to include the necessary USBToolBox.kext in addition to the generated kext. Lol.

After realizing, literally got back into the installer and installed Ventura that same attempt. MMIO values etc all good. Pretty much everything reused from ASUS X670E-I config, with fairly minimal tweaks needed actually.

In my defense, when I first attempted this, I was home from work due to illness 😅

Success post to follow once I’m fully recovered and cleaned the system up!

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.