Questions about updating Opencore

summerside1967

AMD OS X Member
Hi Everyone...

I had a few questions about updating Opencore. Right now I am on 0.72 and running Big Sur 11.6.3. I have absolutely no problems with this install, but I do want to try updating to Monterey.

I tried doing an internal update from within Big Sur but always stall at the update when it reboots.

There are so many crazy guides out there for updating Opencore. I never use an apps to modify my EFI or config file as I do it manually to have a better understanding. I did use OCAuxillary Tools to validate my EFI folder once I manually updated the EFI folder, drivers and kexts to 0.78. (I used a backup of my EFI folder to update)

It came back with quite a few errors. Is there an easy process to update Opencore? How often do you update?

Thanks for your help!

Here is the error results from OCAuxillary

OCS: Missing key SyncTableIds, context <Quirks>!

OCS: Missing key ResizeAppleGpuBars, context <Quirks>!

OCS: Missing key CustomKernel, context <Scheme>!

OCS: Missing key GraphicsInputMirroring, context <AppleInput>!

OCS: Missing key PointerPollMask, context <AppleInput>!

OCS: Missing key PointerPollMax, context <AppleInput>!

OCS: Missing key PointerPollMin, context <AppleInput>!

OCS: No schema for AudioOut at 2 index, context <Audio>!

OCS: No schema for MinimumVolume at 4 index, context <Audio>!

OCS: No schema for VolumeAmplifier at 8 index, context <Audio>!

OCS: Missing key AudioOutMask, context <Audio>!

OCS: Missing key DisconnectHda, context <Audio>!

OCS: Missing key MaximumGain, context <Audio>!

OCS: Missing key MinimumAssistGain, context <Audio>!

OCS: Missing key MinimumAudibleGain, context <Audio>!

OCS: Couldn't get array serialized at 0 index!

OCS: Couldn't get array serialized at 1 index!

OCS: Couldn't get array serialized at 2 index!

OCS: Missing key ReconnectGraphicsOnConnect, context <Output>!

OCS: Missing key UIScale, context <Output>!

OCS: Missing key EnableVmx, context <Quirks>!

OCS: Missing key ForceOcWriteFlash, context <Quirks>!

OCS: Missing key ResizeGpuBars, context <Quirks>!

Serialisation returns 23 errors!

Booter->Quirks->ProvideCustomSlide is enabled, but OpenRuntime.efi is not loaded at UEFI->Drivers!

CheckBooter returns 1 error!

UEFI->Quirks->RequestBootVarRouting is enabled, but OpenRuntime.efi is not loaded at UEFI->Drivers!

CheckUefi returns 1 error!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
That says you are not using an up to date Sample.plist when you are creating your 0.7.8 config.plist, as a number of newer entries are missing. If you compare your current config.plist with the Sample.plist provided with OC 0.7.8 it will show you that your config is missing a number of Audio related entries.

It also says that you are either using an out of date OpenRuntime.efi or have forgotten to add the driver to your setup. As two Quirks that rely on that driver are not working.

I trust you are also aware of the issues MSI board users are facing while trying to update to macOS Monterey.
  1. Those that are successfully installing Monterey are having to downgrade their Bios from the latest to an older version.
  2. They are also facing issues with the Intel 2.5GB Ethernet ports not working, due to something changing in Monterey that stops the SmallTrees kext from working.
Have a scan through the Monterey Installation forum and you will see other posts from MSI board users with these issues. There are a few work arounds such as the bios downgrade and using a beta version an old Ethernet driver AppleIGB.kext. But you are not assured that they will work.

summerside1967

AMD OS X Member
That says you are not using an up to date Sample.plist when you are creating your 0.7.8 config.plist, as a number of newer entries are missing. If you compare your current config.plist with the Sample.plist provided with OC 0.7.8 it will show you that your config is missing a number of Audio related entries.

It also says that you are either using an out of date OpenRuntime.efi or have forgotten to add the driver to your setup. As two Quirks that rely on that driver are not working.

I trust you are also aware of the issues MSI board users are facing while trying to update to macOS Monterey.
  1. Those that are successfully installing Monterey are having to downgrade their Bios from the latest to an older version.
  2. They are also facing issues with the Intel 2.5GB Ethernet ports not working, due to something changing in Monterey that stops the SmallTrees kext from working.
Have a scan through the Monterey Installation forum and you will see other posts from MSI board users with these issues. There are a few work arounds such as the bios downgrade and using a beta version an old Ethernet driver AppleIGB.kext. But you are not assured that they will work.
Thank you very much for the great insight and help

Very appreciated!

summerside1967

AMD OS X Member
Thank you very much for the great insight and help

Very appreciated!
@Edhawk Thought I would provide an update. I had issues updating to Monterey because of the know issues with the msi bios problem. I purchased a usb to ethernet adapter and added an older usb Bluetooth dongle to my pc. My opencore is version 0.7.8 so I updated from Big Sur to Monterer using the app store. The install was successful with no errors.

The usb to ethernet worked. The usb Bluetooth (Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Device) is not working. Not sure if I need to add an additional kext to support.

I've been using opencore for a few years now and still struggle to update opencore to a newer version. Updating the required opencore files and kexts isn't a problem. It the comparison between the updated sample.plst and my current config.plst I'm trying to understand this process better but still struggle to make it work.

I want to update to Ventura. Is there any easier way to update the config.plst? Also how do I find what additional kexts might be needed that I'm missing for Ventura.

I've attached my EFI again.

I know you're busy...any advice would definitely be appreciated

Attachments

• EFI-0.7.8.zip
    10.8 MB · Views: 1

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Not sure why you have difficulty creating a new OC EFI. If you follow the steps in the Dortania OC guide it is pretty much a straight forward process. Especially as you already have an EFI folder to use as a base.

I always start each OC release with a new EFI and Sample.plist, taken from the OpenCore-0.8.x folder I download.
Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 19.00.57.png OpenCore Release folder, EFI & Sample.plist copied to desktop.

I then move the Sample.plist to the /EFI/OC folder and rename it config.plist.
Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 19.01.12.png Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 19.01.29.png

Then I start editing the Drivers and Tools in the new /EFI/OC folder.
Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 19.02.53.png Going from this to Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 19.04.03.png this.

I then start looking at what is required in the ACPI folder, you setup is simple you just need one SSDT. An SSDT that incorporates the EC and USBX settings for an AMD system. You are currently using an SSDT that is set to work with an Intel system, using the LPCB ACPI address, this is wrong, so I have changed the SSDT in the attached EFI to better suit your system.
Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 20.21.15.png /EFI/OC/ACPI/SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml

Then it is time to look at which kexts are required, keeping in mind that some of them may have been updated shortly before the new OC release was made available.
In you case the kexts are as up to date as they need to be to work with macOS Ventura.
The only things missing were the Broadcom Bluetooth kexts, BluetoolFixup.kext, BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BrcmPatchRam3.kext, as highlighted below.
Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 20.08.28.png

The last thing to do before editing the new config.plist is to make sure you have a copy of the Resources folder that contains the Acidanthera GUI icons, labels and audio files. These are obtained from the Acidanthera Github repository linked below.
I tend to reduce the number of Audio files that are present in the Resources/Audio sub-folder, using just the English (en) and generic audio files. As I don't need any of the other language files.
Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 20.36.20.png Resources folder contents.

Now comes the part that worries most people - editing the config.plist.

As I said the easiest way to get this right is by following the Dortania OC guide, currently set for Oc 0.8.5. This is fine even though we are using OC 0.8.6 as there were no changes to the config.plist in the latest release of OpenCore.

I am not going to go through the process of editing a Ryzen config, as it has already been done.
What I do that is different from the Dortania guide is I remove a number of unnecessary entries to make the config easier to read and navigate.
I always use the latest release of the AMD patches, as they can change quite quickly, as seen by the new release today for the Zen4 patch created by @CaseySJ .
I use Corpnewt's ProperTree plist editor to edit the config.
Not that I have anything against OC configurator or other GUI based configurators, I had just stuck to the method that worked and I was most comfortable using. Plus when I started using OpenCore the Configurators were making a mess of things, so I heeded Acidanthera's & the Dortania Guide's advise and used ProperTree.

So here is a revised/updated OC 0.8.6 EFI for your X570 / 16-core CPU system.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.7 MB · Views: 11

summerside1967

AMD OS X Member
I get it. It’s a very straight forward. I’ve followed the directions a few times…but not sure if I’ve missed a step or made an error along the way.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond with a step by step. Thanks also for the EFI folder.

I’ll follow your directions and see how it works for me again.

Thanks again @Edhawk

summerside1967

AMD OS X Member
@Edhawk Thanks again for your help and step by step directions. I took your advice and built my current EFI from scratch following the steps you outlined above. Took my time with each step and modifying the config and everything worked out.

I upgraded to Ventura with no problems. Interesting note. The problem with my msi motherboard and the built in ethernet issues are gone. The usb ethernet I bought is showing up connected, but so is the built in ethernet connection. Both are green and functioning fine.

Thanks for the help and direction...always appreciated!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The new ZEN4 kernel patch fixes the Ethernet issue, this wasn’t its main objective but nether the less it fixes this and a few other issues. So hat’s off to @CaseySJ for creating the new patch.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
The new ZEN4 kernel patch fixes the Ethernet issue, this wasn’t its main objective but nether the less it fixes this and a few other issues. So hat’s off to @CaseySJ for creating the new patch.
I should clarify that the Zen 4 patch fixes PCI devices in general, of which i225-V is one. But in addition to the patch, we also need boot argument e1000=0 to enable the standard, non-DriverKit driver for i225-V in Monterey.

We haven’t found a solution yet for Ventura because it doesn’t ship with the older AppleInteII210Ethernet.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.