OpenCore fail to boot

drippy_tess

AMD OS X Member
Hello,
I faced an issue, i can’t resolve. I have sucessfully wrote an OpenCore install media, but it does not boot the picker up. I have been trying for almost 4 hours to resolve it, but sadly, I had no sucess. I attached the error what it gives.
Can you guys help me? Thanks!

Config:
Asrock 970 Extreme 4
Fx-8150
Radeon RX-570
16GB DDR3 Ram,
1TB Sata SSD

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpeg
    IMG_0067.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Have a look at this success story for a similar FX system.

Subsequent EFI's were created using an AMD RX dGPU.

drippy_tess

AMD OS X Member
Have a look at this success story for a similar FX system.

Subsequent EFI's were created using an AMD RX dGPU.
Hello @Edhawk !
Thanks for your really fast answer! I tried to boot OpenCore with EFI's that were in the thread what you linked and it successfully booted up the picker. But when I choosed to boot the DMG file what is on the pendrive(MacOS 13) it showed "OCB: LoadImage failed - Unsupported". So I decided to update AMD Kernel Patches, put the OpenCore 0.9.9 DEBUG version files on the pendrive and I started the testing over again. It does not changed anything, but now it shows this error: "OCDI: Failed to Load DMG file". I tried to download different MacOS versions(11, 12), but sadly I got the same error. I also tried to insert the pendrive to another ports, but then it stuck on: "OCRAM: Extent allocation of 706568592 bytes (A) gave 100001000". I also tried to modify the config files and spent hours for testing, but I can't really get a step forward. I linked the complete EFI Folder and the images of the errors.
I hope you can help!
Sincerely, Tess

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The EFI folder is password protected. You need to attach an EFI that we can unzip and read/review.

Check you are using a compatible SMBIOS for the OS you are looking to install. As using an older SMBIOS, is the most common issue when the system says the OS is unsupported.

drippy_tess

AMD OS X Member
The EFI folder is password protected. You need to attach an EFI that we can unzip and read/review.

Check you are using a compatible SMBIOS for the OS you are looking to install. As using an older SMBIOS, is the most common issue when the system says the OS is unsupported.
Sorry, for this. Now I attached a non-protected EFI folder.
I used MacPro 7,1 SMBios, so I guess thats not a problem.
Thanks for your help, appriciated!!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 1

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
It shouldn't be an issue when running macOS Monterey.

Does the Asrock 970 Extreme 4 motherboard have a UEFI bios, or older legacy bios? I assume you know the difference as you have a newer AMD system in your signature. Some older AMD FX systems had early UEFI bios, others didn't. If you have a motherboard with a legacy bios, you will need to add a 'bootx64' or 'boot' file to the root of your EFI partition, so OpenCore can load with the legacy bios.

You need to run the BootInstall_X64.tool that you will find in the OpenCore-0.9.9/Utilities/LegacyBoot folder. This Tool will ask you to point to the EFI partition on your USB pen drive, and it will place a 'Boot' file alongside the OpenCore EFI folder. Without this 'Boot' file your system may not boot to the OpenCore boot screen/picker list.

Your AMD FX-8150 is an 8-core CPU. You have the AMD Kernel Patches set with the options for a 4-core CPU. The first four kernel patches in your config.plist need to be changed to correct this issue.

From this:

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 00.20.29.png Current 4- core entries

To this:

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 00.21.10.png Revised 8-core entries

With this old FX system you may need to change Misc > Security > SecureBootModel entry from 'Default' to 'Disabled'

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 00.24.14.png Default as entry

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 00.24.32.png Disabled as entry

Changing boot argument npci=0x2000 to npci=0x3000 might also be better for your system.

As you have RestrictEvents.kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and config.plist you may want to look at using some of the boot arguments or NVRAM entries that make this kext so AMD friendly. See the link below.

PlatformInfo > Generic > ProcessorType should be set as number 3841, as you have an 8-core CPU. The default entry '0' is for Intel CPU's.

Have a look at the revised EFI below. See if this gets you any further.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 2

drippy_tess

AMD OS X Member
It shouldn't be an issue when running macOS Monterey.

Does the Asrock 970 Extreme 4 motherboard have a UEFI bios, or older legacy bios? I assume you know the difference as you have a newer AMD system in your signature. Some older AMD FX systems had early UEFI bios, others didn't. If you have a motherboard with a legacy bios, you will need to add a 'bootx64' or 'boot' file to the root of your EFI partition, so OpenCore can load with the legacy bios.

You need to run the BootInstall_X64.tool that you will find in the OpenCore-0.9.9/Utilities/LegacyBoot folder. This Tool will ask you to point to the EFI partition on your USB pen drive, and it will place a 'Boot' file alongside the OpenCore EFI folder. Without this 'Boot' file your system may not boot to the OpenCore boot screen/picker list.

Your AMD FX-8150 is an 8-core CPU. You have the AMD Kernel Patches set with the options for a 4-core CPU. The first four kernel patches in your config.plist need to be changed to correct this issue.

From this:

View attachment 13719 Current 4- core entries

To this:

View attachment 13718 Revised 8-core entries

With this old FX system you may need to change Misc > Security > SecureBootModel entry from 'Default' to 'Disabled'

View attachment 13720 Default as entry

View attachment 13721 Disabled as entry

Changing boot argument npci=0x2000 to npci=0x3000 might also be better for your system.

As you have RestrictEvents.kext in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder and config.plist you may want to look at using some of the boot arguments or NVRAM entries that make this kext so AMD friendly. See the link below.

PlatformInfo > Generic > ProcessorType should be set as number 3841, as you have an 8-core CPU. The default entry '0' is for Intel CPU's.

Have a look at the revised EFI below. See if this gets you any further.
Thanks for your detailed guide! I tried it with your EFI, but things are the same, I got the same error as before("OCDI: Failed to Load DMG file"). This board BIOS is an UEFI, I attached an image of it. Also I checked the Windows Status and it shows that the BIOS mode is UEFI. There was a mistype from me in the past, because the processor is not FX-8350, but FX-8150, but it makes no difference.
I hope we will find a solution, I’am excited to get it work.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpeg
    IMG_0081.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 4

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Could be an issue with the Apple DMG you downloaded and restored to the USB pen drive. I would recommend you download Corpnewt’s gibmacOS python script and download a new macOS installation app.

Erase the USB pen drive, restore macOS Monterey to the HFS+ formatted drive and copy the latest EFI folder to the EFI partition on the USB.

I will dig out my FX motherboard and see what happens when I use the EFI folder on my system.

drippy_tess

AMD OS X Member
Could be an issue with the Apple DMG you downloaded and restored to the USB pen drive. I would recommend you download Corpnewt’s gibmacOS python script and download a new macOS installation app.

Erase the USB pen drive, restore macOS Monterey to the HFS+ formatted drive and copy the latest EFI folder to the EFI partition on the USB.

I will dig out my FX motherboard and see what happens when I use the EFI folder on my system.
Thanks for the information! I tried to download 3 different install files(Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura ), but all have the same error. I noticed that if I plug the PenDrive to another USB Hub on the board (to an USB 2.0 or 3.0 on the back), then it wont boot up the picker, it will give a fatal error and then stop itself. I don't really know if an USB mapping will help, but I guess it's not a fatal problem for the installer that it can boot up the DMG file. I don't really know what to do now. I did the bios as I saw in the thread you give. Also, I tried to revise the EFI folder again, but there was no step forward.
Really thanks for your help, if you have any more idea, then let me know :))
Have a nice day!!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
These old AMD boards don't work well with USB Mapping. My Asus Sabertooth 990FX being a case in point. It has a number of old OHCI and EHCI USB controllers, that simply don't work well in macOS. They work at USB1.1 (12mbs) if they work at all.

Your ASRock board contains these USB ports/Headers.

Internal Headers:
  • 3 x USB 2.0 headers (support 6 USB 2.0 ports)
  • 1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 header (supports 2 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports & 2 USB 2.0 ports) (Asmedia ASM1042 controller)

Rear Ports:
  • 4 x USB 2.0 Ports
  • 2 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Ports (Asmedia ASM1042)

Your best option for a working USB port would be one of the ASMedia ASM1042 ports. Although some bios's don't allow these USB3 ports to work, till the OS takes control of the system.

That being the case you need to test the USB 2.0 ports, to see which work and which don't. You also need to remember that if a port works from the system being powered on, it doesn't mean it will work once control has been passed from the Bios to the OS. You may need to move/switch the USB pen drive from one port to another, to continue the installation. I had this issue on a couple of old systems, AMD and Intel hacks.

I assembled my Asus Sabertooth 990FX/FX 8320/RX 480 system and had a go at reinstalling macOS. The easiest version of macOS to install on this AMD system was Big Sur.

The macOS Big Sur installation took a long time, over 5 hours. It kept stalling at specific stages during the installation, looking like it wasn't doing anything but was, and just needed to be left do its thing. It would have been very easy to reboot the system each time it looked like the system had stalled. I left it running over night, checked it a couple of times to see if it was progressing. When I came back to the system in the morning the macOS Country Selection screen was waiting for me and I could complete the installation and get to the Desktop in Big Sur.

When I tried installing Monterey & Ventura they kept throwing up issues that prevented the system completing the installation process.

Once I had Big Sur installed I could by downloading the Monterey full installer add a copy of macOS Monterey to the system. I installed the latest Monterey release, to a separate APFS Volume. Although I messed it up when trying to do the same to upgrade the system to Ventura.

Big Sur works well with the 2012 AMD system, and if I recall correctly this was what I found when I previously had the system running macOS. So I would recommend you try installing macOS Big Sur 11.7.10 not Monterey or anything newer.

If you use Corpnewt's gibMacOS script to download the Big Sur installation app, you need to select option '13', as shown in the screenshot below.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 21.53.34.png Corpnewt's gibMacOS selection screen, with latest Big Sur release highlighted.

I used the old OpenCore 0.8.3 EFI attached below to install macOS Big Sur. It worked with Monterey too, until I messed it up.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 4

drippy_tess

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for your detailed guide! I will try to do it at the weekend. I hope I will be successful, your help is appreciated!
Thanks, have a nice day!

drippy_tess

AMD OS X Member
These old AMD boards don't work well with USB Mapping. My Asus Sabertooth 990FX being a case in point. It has a number of old OHCI and EHCI USB controllers, that simply don't work well in macOS. They work at USB1.1 (12mbs) if they work at all.

Your ASRock board contains these USB ports/Headers.

Internal Headers:
  • 3 x USB 2.0 headers (support 6 USB 2.0 ports)
  • 1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 header (supports 2 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports & 2 USB 2.0 ports) (Asmedia ASM1042 controller)

Rear Ports:
  • 4 x USB 2.0 Ports
  • 2 x USB 3.1 Gen1 Ports (Asmedia ASM1042)

Your best option for a working USB port would be one of the ASMedia ASM1042 ports. Although some bios's don't allow these USB3 ports to work, till the OS takes control of the system.

That being the case you need to test the USB 2.0 ports, to see which work and which don't. You also need to remember that if a port works from the system being powered on, it doesn't mean it will work once control has been passed from the Bios to the OS. You may need to move/switch the USB pen drive from one port to another, to continue the installation. I had this issue on a couple of old systems, AMD and Intel hacks.

I assembled my Asus Sabertooth 990FX/FX 8320/RX 480 system and had a go at reinstalling macOS. The easiest version of macOS to install on this AMD system was Big Sur.

The macOS Big Sur installation took a long time, over 5 hours. It kept stalling at specific stages during the installation, looking like it wasn't doing anything but was, and just needed to be left do its thing. It would have been very easy to reboot the system each time it looked like the system had stalled. I left it running over night, checked it a couple of times to see if it was progressing. When I came back to the system in the morning the macOS Country Selection screen was waiting for me and I could complete the installation and get to the Desktop in Big Sur.

When I tried installing Monterey & Ventura they kept throwing up issues that prevented the system completing the installation process.

Once I had Big Sur installed I could by downloading the Monterey full installer add a copy of macOS Monterey to the system. I installed the latest Monterey release, to a separate APFS Volume. Although I messed it up when trying to do the same to upgrade the system to Ventura.

Big Sur works well with the 2012 AMD system, and if I recall correctly this was what I found when I previously had the system running macOS. So I would recommend you try installing macOS Big Sur 11.7.10 not Monterey or anything newer.

If you use Corpnewt's gibMacOS script to download the Big Sur installation app, you need to select option '13', as shown in the screenshot below.

View attachment 13733 Corpnewt's gibMacOS selection screen, with latest Big Sur release highlighted.

I used the old OpenCore 0.8.3 EFI attached below to install macOS Big Sur. It worked with Monterey too, until I messed it up.
Thanks for you detailed guide again. I finally get it work with your EFI and with your advice.
Whising you well!

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.