Open core not detecting usb

Slavi

AMD OS X Member
Hello,

2 years ago I successfully setup a High Sierra with Clover.
However when I changed my GPU from R9 280x to my current RX 5700XT, as expected I could not boot anymore.

So I gave up for half a year and now I am trying to install a ryzentosh with Big Sur. I followed the Dortania guide:
I made an installer on windows added the com.apple.recovery.boot, EFI, folder, kexts, etc etc. And when I double checked everything, I booted from the flash. However, it detected only the Windows and there was no other option. I thought I have skipped a step, so I went through them again, and I didn't change anything as everything seemed ok. Tried again, same thing.
So a couple checks again, and then I decided to try Catalina -> same story. As I saw that Big Sur and Catalina for me are with the same problem, I tried again with Big Sur, same checks added the kexts - no result, with the difference that I forgot to set the ScanPolicy to 0, sO i saw the openshell.efi as option.

I have been doing that for the last 5 days, researched other people's same problems but I just can't get it fixed. I modified the plist file with possible fixes but unfortunately nothing happened. Black screen with no logs or something like that - the only logs I have are from the opencore and each is 256KB but it is empty with : 0000 0000 0000 0000
What am I doing wrong?

My system is:
Ryzen 5 2600 4.0ghz oc
Asrock AB350M Pro4 - BIOS version P5.10
2x8gb 3200mhz corsair vengeance
and 3 ssds which imo is irrelevant to specify.

I am attaching the config.plist file and a picture of my usb structure.

Attachments

• config.plist
    33.1 KB · Views: 3
Solution
Disable XhciPortLimit under Kernel -> Quirks. It can cause some issues.
Didn't help :/

So I created an macos virtual machine and made an USB installation there. Everything was the same, the only difference is getting the macOS image. I feel like there is some kind of issue with the windows BaseSystem files :/
I got my macOS running on the external hard drive but because macOS can't detect it as USB 3.0 everything is slow AF, like so slow I cannot open safari or any other program, even the background image has hard time showing up :D :D
I will probably rearrange my storage and try to allocate an SSD for the macOS, because I am unable to map my usb port to 3.0, unfortunately.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

Slavi

AMD OS X Member
Have you verified the BIOS settings you have with the guide?
Everything that is written there has been done, and for the stuff not mentioned is left in the .plist that I attached.
I cannot even focus on one possible cause. The things I tried were:
Instead of generating the SSDT-EC.aml separately, I tried with the prebuild SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml. Configured the .plist, same thing.
Removed the Realtek kext as well as the CTIna.AHCIPort. Again configured the .plist, same thing.
The strange thing is that when I change the ScanPolicy to something different than 0, the OpenShell.efi is shown, but my windows not. If its 0, I can see only my windows.
Note: I also added the agdpmod=pikera option as I use Navi gpu

Also try using a different USB port/device.
Already, tried on another USB. And I repeated the steps again, the only thing that I kept from my other usb were the kexts. Same problem.

I tried booting from one while both were plugged and the strange thing was that the when I boot from USB1, the windows and USB2 are shown,
and when I boot from USB2, I can see USB1 and Windows. When I try choosing the other usb, nothing happens and it is just stuck in black screen. I waited like half an hour just to make sure that nothing would happened. There are logs as I said, but they are all filled with 0000 0000 0000 0000.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I see it now. HideAuxiliary is set to True. Press the spacebar when you get to the picker and it should show the USB ;)

Slavi

AMD OS X Member
I see it now. HideAuxiliary is set to True. Press the spacebar when you get to the picker and it should show the USB ;)
Well finally it shows the correct options as listed here - https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...llation-process.html#booting-the-opencore-usb

After some time spending with trying the prebuilt ACPI - SSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml
and after that with the separated ones SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml, somehow it started.

But it seems to be stucked on PCI Configuration begin.
I saw a video with a list with the possible solutions, all are boot arguments, but I saw some people's warnings not to use some of them because they disable something and something(acceleration or whatever) and of course I can try every single one but can you give me some idea which should I try first.

I am uploading the image with the arguments so you can see it

Edit: My initial boot options were: -v agdpmod=pikera
Tried the following with no success:
-v keepsyms=1 agdpmod=pikera
-v agdpmod=pikera PCIRootUID=1
-v agdpmod=pikera npci=0x2000
-v agdpmod=pikera npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1

2nd edit:
-v debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera
-v debug=0x100 keepsyms=1 agdpmod=pikera
-v agdpmod=pikera npci=0x3000

Am I doing something not in order, I see the picture that I posted that the -v is the last argument but many people have it as first ?

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Most of those flags in the image are for a much older boot loader (Chameleon) and aren't used anymore.
The most common fix for getting stuck there is to enable Above 4G in the BIOS. It's normally listed within PCI settings. If you don't have that option then either npci=0x2000 or npci=0x3000 should fix it. If not then ACPI could be an issue.

Slavi

AMD OS X Member
Most of those flags in the image are for a much older boot loader (Chameleon) and aren't used anymore.
The most common fix for getting stuck there is to enable Above 4G in the BIOS. It's normally listed within PCI settings. If you don't have that option then either npci=0x2000 or npci=0x3000 should fix it. If not then ACPI could be an issue.
npci=0x2000 fixed the issue.
I am able to boot the flash drive and shows the menu.
But again I am stuck:
after I erase the drive I want to install my OS to, and choose it in the recover big Sur, it is going through the process.
Then when I boot from my external SSD that I chose, it is getting stuck at Less than 1 minute remaining and the Apple logo with the bar. I haven't touched it for over 2 hours and nothing would happen.

Any idea of the cause?

I rebooted to check if it would help, also did new USB with the Marcos, went through the same process and still. Currently I am just giving it time(30 minutes in) and waiting if the Less than a minute remaining message would go off.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Is the SSD you're installing to a NVME?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
That could be the issue. Unless the USB is mapped it could cause disconnect issues while installing or be operating at the wrong speed.

Slavi

AMD OS X Member
That could be the issue. Unless the USB is mapped it could cause disconnect issues while installing or be operating at the wrong speed.
Is there anything that I could try to make it work? How do you map a USB as I see it is done way there in the Post install guide?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
You can do it via Windows with the USBToolBox and then add the kext into your EFI and try again.

Slavi

AMD OS X Member
You can do it via Windows with the USBToolBox and then add the kext into your EFI and try again.
I got the kext as well as the UTBDefault.kext as it is written in the README here
However, same thing stuck at less than 1 minute for like 50 minutes now.

I have updated the config.plist with the other kexts, but I feel like I have something wrong in the config file ;/

Attachments

• config.plist
    33.4 KB · Views: 1

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

Slavi

AMD OS X Member
Didn't help :/

So I created an macos virtual machine and made an USB installation there. Everything was the same, the only difference is getting the macOS image. I feel like there is some kind of issue with the windows BaseSystem files :/
I got my macOS running on the external hard drive but because macOS can't detect it as USB 3.0 everything is slow AF, like so slow I cannot open safari or any other program, even the background image has hard time showing up :D :D
I will probably rearrange my storage and try to allocate an SSD for the macOS, because I am unable to map my usb port to 3.0, unfortunately.

Solution
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.