Open Core 8.0 Monterey installation Black Screen 6800XT

Mo Al

AMD OS X Member
Hello,

I was trying to do a fresh hack using Monterey and open core latest 8.0. When trying to boot up the installation from the USB the screen eventually goes black screen and the installation breaks. Im assuming its not detecting or waking my graphics card. I have the pikera mod argument present in boot flags im not sure what else to do. Ive included a log if anyone has any ideas.

Attachments

• opencore-2022-04-28-004936.txt
    256 KB · Views: 11

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Hello,

I was trying to do a fresh hack using Monterey and open core latest 8.0. When trying to boot up the installation from the USB the screen eventually goes black screen and the installation breaks. Im assuming its not detecting or waking my graphics card. I have the pikera mod argument present in boot flags im not sure what else to do. Ive included a log if anyone has any ideas.
You can try my build here for Gigabyte B550 with RX550/RX6800 with OC 0.7.9 - use the config-rx6800.plist inside the latest zip file and rename that to config.plist and add your own UUID, rom and serials under PlatformInfo. Remember to re-adjust the number of cores in the Kernel > Patches section for the cpuid core info as it is currently set for the 5900X > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-5900x-rx550-samsung-1tb-970-evo-plus.319781/

Mo Al

AMD OS X Member
You can try my build here for Gigabyte B550 with RX550/RX6800 with OC 0.7.9 - use the config-rx6800.plist inside the latest zip file and rename that to config.plist and add your own UUID, rom and serials under PlatformInfo. Remember to re-adjust the number of cores in the Kernel > Patches section for the cpuid core info as it is currently set for the 5900X > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-5900x-rx550-samsung-1tb-970-evo-plus.319781/
thank you. I see in the 6800xt.plist you have a lot of B550 stuff unrelated to my x570 board. Also I am trying to use SMBIOS MacPro7,1 which does not have dgpu method I believe. I do however see a EDID 6800 kext that might be useful and I also thought about adding my 6800 to the device properties list but I need help doing so because I'm not sure the method I know I have to find the root ID. I can also hit two birds one stone with the device properties when also adding the power tables which I read also increases performance during power consumption. Not sure if this is the right path however because still haven't got to the setup screen yet. Attached a screen snip in windows of the kexts I'm using and also the ACPI folder section. I used propertree to clean snapshot the OC folder with all this I can provide my config.plist if needed let me know though so I can remove my ROM and serial.

Attachments

• kexts.jpg
    kexts.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 25
  • ACPI.jpg
    ACPI.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 25

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
thank you. I see in the 6800xt.plist you have a lot of B550 stuff unrelated to my x570 board. Also I am trying to use SMBIOS MacPro7,1 which does not have dgpu method I believe. I do however see a EDID 6800 kext that might be useful and I also thought about adding my 6800 to the device properties list but I need help doing so because I'm not sure the method I know I have to find the root ID. I can also hit two birds one stone with the device properties when also adding the power tables which I read also increases performance during power consumption. Not sure if this is the right path however because still haven't got to the setup screen yet. Attached a screen snip in windows of the kexts I'm using and also the ACPI folder section. I used propertree to clean snapshot the OC folder with all this I can provide my config.plist if needed let me know though so I can remove my ROM and serial.
As I said earlier you just need to use the config-rx6800.plist and rename that plus the CPUID cores section (just 3 lines in the Kernel Patches section) - as it is already working on my setup. The GPU settings for the RX6800 are already set up in that file so no need for the 6800 kext.

The B550 actually is no different to your x570 - they are both 500 series motherboards, just named differently. All the SSDTs and kexts I've added in the EFI are required items to boot the system up successfully either for Big Sur or Monterey. You can uncheck the TB-Hackindrom SSDT for the Thunderbolt but add everything else that I've already enabled - as otherwise your system won't boot. SMBIOS MacPro7,1 IS a dGPU method SMBIOS as unlike the others like iMacPro19,1, Mac Pro uses separate cards to boot the system hence the use.

As for your for listing, I notice you are using UTBMap.kext but completely missing its required accompanying kext which is USBToolBox.kext. Also missing SMCSuperIO which is part of SMCAMDProcessor.kext (and both must load AFTER AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext. Correct boot order for these are also essential for the main Opencore kexts (Lilu, VirtualSMC, AppleALC and Whatevergreen must always load first). And XHCIPortLimit must be disabled and AdviseWindows enabled, for Monterey. Once you've gotten the system to boot then you can work out the GPU power settings.

Also I'd advise you connect your HDMI cable to the 2nd outermost port on your RX6800 GPU if you are no getting a signal on the first one (that can happen on some systems).

Mo Al

AMD OS X Member
Ok so I got it to boot into the installer however it won’t let me erase and partition any of my drives in disk utility also right before open core starts I get a scheme error for serial index 5 I know this has something to do with missing entries from open core version to version so I’ll look into that later. Also some of my drives show up as external I wonder if I should do my own device properties lost or take out some of yours maybe causing my Sata disks to show internal instead ? My two nvme do show internal however I can’t format or partition any of the drives

Mo Al

AMD OS X Member
Could it have to do something with my sata or nvme controller ?

EDIT : Ok so I figured it out by deleting the volume from windows disk management utility because I had it setup as NTFS volume so Mac disk utility wouldn't erase it for some reason. I am now in Monterey everything works like sound and CPU displays correctly with 1537 ID. Memory was fixed with the new RestrictEvents.kext had do do some research. I also fixed the OCS no schema error by comparing both my config to the new sample config from the 8.0 docs.

Boot up times seem very slow as it keeps searching for the drive and it waits for to respond it seems. it is the Intel SSD drive through SATA I'm using for this Mac. On Big Sur it used to boot up much faster and there was no waiting for the drive like I see happening through verbose on this Monterey hack I did. Any ideas why it would take so long to boot? I can provide a picture from my phone through verbose if needed not sure how else to show it through log?

Last edited:

Mo Al

AMD OS X Member
Also my drives show up as external. I know how to fix this just need to add the root from device properties and add the internal string I forgot where the guide is. After that I just have to fix the power play tables from my device properties for the 6800 xt ----> anyone know the exact power play table characters I must add for my card and which device string path to add?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 10.02.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 10.02.57 AM.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 23

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Ok so I got it to boot into the installer however it won’t let me erase and partition any of my drives in disk utility also right before open core starts I get a scheme error for serial index 5 I know this has something to do with missing entries from open core version to version so I’ll look into that later. Also some of my drives show up as external I wonder if I should do my own device properties lost or take out some of yours maybe causing my Sata disks to show internal instead ? My two nvme do show internal however I can’t format or partition any of the drives
You could probably uncheck Third Party Drives if it is present in your config.plist to revert the system icons back to standard ones.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Also my drives show up as external. I know how to fix this just need to add the root from device properties and add the internal string I forgot where the guide is. After that I just have to fix the power play tables from my device properties for the 6800 xt ----> anyone know the exact power play table characters I must add for my card and which device string path to add?
For the 6800XT powerplay tables you can refer to this thread > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-5700-6800-6900-graphics-cards.319421/page-19

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Could it have to do something with my sata or nvme controller ?

EDIT : Ok so I figured it out by deleting the volume from windows disk management utility because I had it setup as NTFS volume so Mac disk utility wouldn't erase it for some reason. I am now in Monterey everything works like sound and CPU displays correctly with 1537 ID. Memory was fixed with the new RestrictEvents.kext had do do some research. I also fixed the OCS no schema error by comparing both my config to the new sample config from the 8.0 docs.

Boot up times seem very slow as it keeps searching for the drive and it waits for to respond it seems. it is the Intel SSD drive through SATA I'm using for this Mac. On Big Sur it used to boot up much faster and there was no waiting for the drive like I see happening through verbose on this Monterey hack I did. Any ideas why it would take so long to boot? I can provide a picture from my phone through verbose if needed not sure how else to show it through log?
If the drive is slow check the following:

1) It should be formatted using GUID partition APFS format.
2) Enable TRIM support
3) Enable RestrictEvents.kext
4) Enable XHCI-unsupported.kext
5) Try adding NVMEFix.kext or NVMExpressDxe.efi to the config.plist

Mo Al

AMD OS X Member
If the drive is slow check the following:

1) It should be formatted using GUID partition APFS format.
2) Enable TRIM support
3) Enable RestrictEvents.kext
4) Enable XHCI-unsupported.kext
5) Try adding NVMEFix.kext or NVMExpressDxe.efi to the config.plist
I formatted it using GUID APFS. How do I enable trim support? SetApfsTrimTimeout is set to -1. I am going to try adding the NVMEFix and Express not sure what they do ill give it a go.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I formatted it using GUID APFS. How do I enable trim support? SetApfsTrimTimeout is set to -1. I am going to try adding the NVMEFix and Express not sure what they do ill give it a go.
Under macOS Terminal type: sudo trimforce enable and enter your password. That would do it.

Mo Al

AMD OS X Member
ok so I enabled trim thank you. The system still stalls a little when loading due to the sync timing of the SSD, Ive attached a photo in verbose.

IMG_3910.jpeg
Everything else works like audio ethernet wifi and Bluetooth ( connected to my AirPods just fine). I fixed the hard drives by adding them to the devices properties using the root ID from Hackintool and adding the built-in line under it.

thank you for directing me to the 6800 xt thread talking about the frame buffer and power play tables. I basically just added the ATY,Belknap strings as mentioned in the thread to the device properties you already had in the config.plist and it seems the performance is on track you can check out some benchmarks I've done.
Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 11.25.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-01 at 11.21.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-01 at 11.07.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 10.55.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-01 at 10.29.40 PM.png

Both CPU and GPU benchmarks. I am happy with these results unless there is some more performance to squeeze out that I am missing on but I think it lines up with average results from other similar hardware I've seen so I'm happy at the moment. Thank you for all the help. Not sure what's next I'm sure ill find more things to tweak around with. Oh does anyone know how to get my xbox controller working with my xbox USB dongle ? That would be nice when playing Apple Arcade games LOL.

XBOX one controller works just fine through bluetooth doesn't even need the dongle stick just had to long press the button on the top edge of the controller :).

EDIT : oh and I can't get my apple watch to work with Auto Unlock I already tried following the guide on deleting the key chain files called Auto Unlock and "AutoUnlock" and also deleted the two files from folder ~/Library/Sharing/AutoUnlock with no success anyone have any ideas or tricks to get it working ( last time on Big Sur I got it two work after trying for 3 days gonna keep trying in the mean time).

Last edited:

Mo Al

AMD OS X Member
OK so after doing some more research I managed to squeeze out some more openCL perfomance gains by applying the Shanee patch and disabling Al grey referring to the last two kernel patches in the config.plist. Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 10.10.30 PM.png

Still unable to successfully unlock things with my Apple Watch but I will not give up because it worked last time on Big Sur.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.