old install ate itself, trying again with 0.8.3

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
OK, sounds as if you are undertaking the USB installer creation process correctly.

Have you tried installing macOS when all the other drives (Windows) are disconnected (temporarily), so just the USB installer and the proposed macOS drive are in the system when you undertake the installation?

Have you tried using a different USB port, preferably a USB2 port? As sometimes USB3 ports can cause issues when installing macOS.

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
OK, sounds as if you are undertaking the USB installer creation process correctly.

Have you tried installing macOS when all the other drives (Windows) are disconnected (temporarily), so just the USB installer and the proposed macOS drive are in the system when you undertake the installation?

Have you tried using a different USB port, preferably a USB2 port? As sometimes USB3 ports can cause issues when installing macOS.
yeah the last two days worth of attempts were done with only the target NVMe for macOS installed (i had only just re-installed the windows drive this evening before sending those screenshots and pics).

i was using usb 3.0 ports the whole time tho. i guess when everyone goes to bed i'll try again on a 2.0 port.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
It might be a lot slower, but it might also complete the installation.

Iw would let it run overnight.

Make sure the USB is the default boot option in your bios, so you don't have to keep selecting it and it automatically boots OC from the USB.

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
2.0 ports are a negative. same error.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Are you using any USB 'Fixes', i.e. kexts or patches? As these may mess with your setup more than they help.

GenericUSBXHCI.kext is a common one for people to try. It usually causes more issues than it solves.

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
Are you using any USB 'Fixes', i.e. kexts or patches? As these may mess with your setup more than they help.

GenericUSBXHCI.kext is a common one for people to try. It usually causes more issues than it solves.

just usbtoolbox and the utbdefault kexts like the usbtoolbox guide instructed. -> https://github.com/USBToolBox/kext

now that i have the windows nvme put back in i have access to Win10 and can try to USBmap again.

Usage

You can get the latest release from the GitHub releases tab.

The zip contains 2 kexts: the main USBToolBox.kext, and UTBDefault.kext, a codeless kext used for attaching USBToolBox to all PCIe USB controllers. This is designed for use before you map, so that you can have all USB ports working (assuming no port limit) before you map. However, it is not needed and must be removed if you choose to map from the start (ie. from Windows, using the USBToolBox tool).

A basic fresh install flow would be as follows:

1. Add USBToolBox.kext and UTBDefault.kext to your EFI/OC/Kexts folder, and make sure to update your config.plist.
  2. Install macOS.
  3. Map your ports with the USBToolBox tool.
  4. Remove UTBDefault.kext and add your newly created UTBMap.kext (or whatever your USB map is called) to EFI/OC/Kexts.
  5. Reboot and you should have a USB mapped system!

Attachments

• booting but not working 0.8.3.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 1

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Which WiFi/BT card are you using?

You need to have a good read of the USBToolBox/Kext instructions. especially this part below.

Screenshot 2022-08-27 at 17.46.20.png Last sentence in first paragraph, is very important.

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
Which WiFi/BT card are you using?

You need to have a good read of the USBToolBox/Kext instructions. especially this part below.

View attachment 7020 Last sentence in first paragraph, is very important.

i'm not using the usb map i did and revised from before. i'm just using the USBToolbox.kext and UTBDefault.kext. its as if no mapping has taken place.

im using the Fenvi T919 card and the USB bluetooth module thats on it. as far as i can tell the wifi card works fine from the installer when testing but im not connecting to wifi when trying to install macos

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
small development... i resigned myself to being a windows user for while and things kept crashing. turns out one of my two g.skill ddr4 sticks is bad and im working on an rma. so i pulled the bad module and have been running on just 16gb for a day or two. might give the 0.8.3 monterey install a try again but not holding my breath.

pepsyfantah

AMD OS X Member
downloaded another monterey image (12.4-21f79), created the usb stick, used the same EFI. and i get the same error when trying to install. the previous monterey image i tried was 12.5-21g72.
hellodear.in

tea tv apk

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@pepsyfantah don't try to hijack someone else's thread. If you are having issues installing macOS start your own thread and ask for help.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.