old install ate itself, trying again with 0.8.3

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
new thread for new install issues. i had an 0.7.1 install that just stopped working today so i'm trying to build a new USB with 0.8.3. i can get into windows and have run a USB map but not sure if i've done that right. attached is my EFI as well as the last error log i got. system boots, i pick Insall Big Sur and then it just stops after a while. the lights on my keyboad go out so thats why i was suspecting a usb map issue but hell if i know.

system details:
Ryzen & 3700X 8-core
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite (2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 2 M.2, 4 DDR4 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN) runing BIOS F21 (tried several over the years, updating never helps)
32 gb ram (2 dimms G Skill RipjawsV F4-3200C16-16GVK)
Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT
macOS - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB (500 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
win 10 - Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB (500 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
2TB storage Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102 (2 TB, 5000 RPM, SATA-III)
Audio - onboard Realtek ALC1200 / ALC S1200A / ALC S1220A @ AMD K17.7 - High Definition Audio Controller
Network Adapter - onboard Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection (192. [ TRIAL VERSION ])
Network Adapter - Fenvi Wifi T919 Network Adapter - Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter
Bluetooth Fenvi module on same board as wifi via USB
EZDIY-FAB memory card reader with usb-c and usb3.0 port attached via internal usb headers (all work previously)

i have a previous thread for the old install that stopped working where i was trying to get the USB mapping setup that may or may not shed some light on my issues. -> https://forum.amd-osx.com/threads/g...ock-ups-and-multiple-reboots-on-startup.3010/

Attachments

• EFI 0.8.3.zip
    9.2 MB · Views: 6
  • opencore-2022-08-22-155124.txt
    256 KB · Views: 3

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Regarding your UTBMap.kext you have a couple of issues:
  • No PC ever uses the Connector Type '8', as these types of connectors are only found on phones. So XHC1 > port HS05 is set wrong.
    • It sould be set as Type-c+sw (9) or Type-c (10), as it is shown as the companion port to XHC1 > SS03.
  • You have XHC1 > HS04 set as Internal (255), is this not the companion USB2 port for XHC1 > SS04?
    • If yes, then it needs to be set the same as SS04 Type-c (10).
  • (_SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC0)
  • XHC0 > SS01 USB3 port is set as Internal (255). This is wrong.
    • Only the USB2 header ports need to be set with Connector Type 255, such as your Bluetooth module, or any USB2 case front ports connected to a motherboard USB2 header.
    • USB3 header ports should always be set as USB3 (3), both the physical USB3 and the virtual USB2 companion port.
    • You need to change this from Internal (255) to USB3 (3) to correct this error.

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
Regarding your UTBMap.kext you have a couple of issues:
  • No PC ever uses the Connector Type '8', as these types of connectors are only found on phones. So XHC1 > port HS05 is set wrong.
    • It sould be set as Type-c+sw (9) or Type-c (10), as it is shown as the companion port to XHC1 > SS03.
  • You have XHC1 > HS04 set as Internal (255), is this not the companion USB2 port for XHC1 > SS04?
    • If yes, then it needs to be set the same as SS04 Type-c (10).
  • (_SB.PCI0.BXBR.BYUP.BYD8.XHC0)
  • XHC0 > SS01 USB3 port is set as Internal (255). This is wrong.
    • Only the USB2 header ports need to be set with Connector Type 255, such as your Bluetooth module, or any USB2 case front ports connected to a motherboard USB2 header.
    • USB3 header ports should always be set as USB3 (3), both the physical USB3 and the virtual USB2 companion port.
    • You need to change this from Internal (255) to USB3 (3) to correct this error.
okay, i'll adjust and try again. thanks for looking!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try this EFI in place of your current OC 0.8.3 EFI folder.
  1. I have cleaned up the config.plist.
  2. I have disabled the UTBMap.kext in the config.plist. But left it in the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder.
  3. I have set the OC GUI to be the boot screen not the picker list.
  4. I have checked the config.plist with ocvalidate and it contains no errors.
  • I would recommend copying this EFI to an EFI partition on a spare USB pen drive.
    • Boot your system from the pen drive not your macOS drive to see if it works.
    • Press the F12 key when you see the Gigabyte logo screen, to bring up the Boot Menu, so you can select the UEFI partition on the USB pen drive.
    • Post a photo showing the verbose text if the system fails to boot.
  • I have assumed you have Above 4G Decoding - Enabled in your bios, as you aren't using the npci=0x2000 boot argument.
    • Check your bios if you are not sure this assumption is correct.
Don't replace your current working EFI until you are sure the new/revised EFI works.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 5

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
Try this EFI in place of your current OC 0.8.3 EFI folder.
  1. I have cleaned up the config.plist.
  2. I have disabled the UTBMap.kext in the config.plist. But left it in the /EFI/OC/Kexts folder.
  3. I have set the OC GUI to be the boot screen not the picker list.
  4. I have checked the config.plist with ocvalidate and it contains no errors.
  • I would recommend copying this EFI to an EFI partition on a spare USB pen drive.
    • Boot your system from the pen drive not your macOS drive to see if it works.
    • Press the F12 key when you see the Gigabyte logo screen, to bring up the Boot Menu, so you can select the UEFI partition on the USB pen drive.
    • Post a photo showing the verbose text if the system fails to boot.
  • I have assumed you have Above 4G Decoding - Enabled in your bios, as you aren't using the npci=0x2000 boot argument.
    • Check your bios if you are not sure this assumption is correct.
Don't replace your current working EFI until you are sure the new/revised EFI works.
i will setup another 16gb stick i have and try it. that's the weird thing about my already installed 0.7.1 was i didn't touch it after doing the changes you recommended and it worked fine for a few days (same issues i had before but it booted at least). i always backup and store EFI on my NAS but it just won't go now. i'll check Above 4G again. i know i've tried that off and on several times over the years.

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
okay, loaded your EFI onto a new drive, rebooted, above 4g is enabled, booted from usb, eventually GUI picker came up, i choose my macOS install and i am stuck here:

IMG_9472.jpg

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Can you post a copy of the DSDT.aml from your setup.

I want to see what your system is currently using, as the error in the image above can be caused by a number of things. Some are easier to fix then others if you have a copy of the DSDT to hand.

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
i've only ever used the pre-made ones but let's see if i can figure this out now.

i think i did that right...

1) "acpidump.exe -b -n DSDT -z" gets me DSDT.dat
2) "iasl.exe DSDT.dat" gets me DSDT.dsl
3) "iasl.exe DSDT.dsl" gets me DSDT.asl

Attachments

• DSDT.aml.7z
    8.3 KB · Views: 1

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I have used the DSDT.aml you provided and Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script, to create a couple of SSDT's and ACPI rename patches, specific to your system. They are attached in the Results folder below.

You should use the SSDT-EC.aml contained in the Results folder in place of the SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml table you are currently using.

You need to use SSDT-USBX.aml, attached below, alongside the new SSDT-EC.aml. As these will work better with your system than the generic 'catch-all' Desktop table you are currently using.

Use of the SSDT-HPET.aml table is optional. But if you do use this table you need to make sure you add the two ACPI > Patch entries to your config.plist. As the SSDT will not work without these two patches. The SSDT and patches help fix IRQ conflicts that are common when running macOS on a PC.

Screenshot 2022-08-23 at 14.18.03.png OC_patches.plist - containing HPET rename patches.

I tried to create an SSDT-USB-RHUB.aml table for your system but the script returns the error shown in the screenshot below. It finds the three USB controllers, but can't generate the SSDT due to an error in the DSDT.aml table.

Screenshot 2022-08-23 at 14.03.38.png SSDTTime error generated, when creating a USB Reset SSDT using your DSDT.aml.

I have attached a revised EFI containing the new SSDT's and patches for you to try.

Due to the USB issues I have disabled the UTBMap.kext and USBToolBox.kext in the config.plist.

By the way, crating two threads about the same problem is bad form.

Attachments

• Results.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 4
  • SSDT-USBX.aml.zip
    943 bytes · Views: 4
  • EFI.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 4

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
I have used the DSDT.aml you provided and Corpnewt's SSDTTime python script, to create a couple of SSDT's and ACPI rename patches, specific to your system. They are attached in the Results folder below.

You should use the SSDT-EC.aml contained in the Results folder in place of the SSDT-EC-USBX-Desktop.aml table you are currently using.

You need to use SSDT-USBX.aml, attached below, alongside the new SSDT-EC.aml. As these will work better with your system than the generic 'catch-all' Desktop table you are currently using.

Use of the SSDT-HPET.aml table is optional. But if you do use this table you need to make sure you add the two ACPI > Patch entries to your config.plist. As the SSDT will not work without these two patches. The SSDT and patches help fix IRQ conflicts that are common when running macOS on a PC.

View attachment 6963 OC_patches.plist - containing HPET rename patches.

I tried to create an SSDT-USB-RHUB.aml table for your system but the script returns the error shown in the screenshot below. It finds the three USB controllers, but can't generate the SSDT due to an error in the DSDT.aml table.

View attachment 6962 SSDTTime error generated, when creating a USB Reset SSDT using your DSDT.aml.

I have attached a revised EFI containing the new SSDT's and patches for you to try.

Due to the USB issues I have disabled the UTBMap.kext and USBToolBox.kext in the config.plist.

By the way, crating two threads about the same problem is bad form.
well the first thread was for the ailing 0.7.1 post-install issues and this one is for building a whole new 0.8.3 pre-install because the old one got all messed up. i agree two threads for the same issue is bad but since they are technically not the same issue... cisco TAC would say i needed another case.

i will load this up onto the new 0.8.3 usb stick and see how it goes. i am very thankful for the help you have provided.

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
latest EFI folder yields the same results. boot from stick, eventually gives me GUI picker. tried the already installed macOS, gives that same screen shot as i posted before. also tried booting into the Big Sur installer but get the same thing. the Recover DMG does load tho and im currently making a backup of the macOS data drive to my 2TB internal. once i have that, im considering taking the whole system apart down to the bare essentials (no wifi, no bluetooth, no windows nvme, no extra USB devices) and seeing how that goes.

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
opened the machine up and pulled all non-essentials out (wifi, any extra usb devices, second nvme that has windows) and still won't go. tried with above 4g on and off with the npci=0x2000 argument that i've used in the past. still halts at the same place. tried latest BIOS (F37g), reset to defaults then disabled and enabled what's in the guide for options (or what i could find). same issue. tried a new USB 3.0 stick (that is much faster actually) but same thing.

i've attached the log for the last attempt.

Attachments

• opencore-2022-08-24-162615.txt
    256 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
started from scratch, reverted mobo BIOS to a pretty old F11 version, and built a whole new 0.8.3 opencore EFI going by the guide again step-by-step. propertree oc snapshot is not putting kexts into the correct order so i had to manually put things like lilu and virtualsmc first cuz it wasn't. used edhawk's kindly provided ssdts and patches for them and set up usbtool to use the default utbdefault like the github says to do.

this setup boots and i can get into the monterey installer! i tried several times to get a bigsur install going yesterday but was having trouble making the USB for some reason.

i select my disk and install begins. i get to about 12 minutes remaining and then i get a popup that says an error occurred loading the update.

IMG_9520.jpg

thought perhaps it needs to pull something from the web even though this was an installer made in macos and should be the full 12gigs or whatever, so enabled wifi which seems to work in the installer, and tried again. same error message. searched for the line on the forum and not getting anything, google turns up a few things like trying to clear nvram first before going into installer so we try that... and get the same thing. most of these things im finding are for when you are in recovery mode but im not, or i shouldn't be...

might try making the big sur usb again. unless someone has any bright ideas.

also might try just flashing bios one rev available at a time and see if this OC setup still boots or not. im also trying to document EVERY BIOS option im changing from stock.

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
An error occured loading the Update? Are you undertaking a clean install of macOS Monterey or an update from Big Sur or earlier version of macOS?

Whichever you are trying, it appears the installer is corrupt.

You will need to erase the USB containing the macOS Monterey installation app, as well as the installer the USB was created from.

Download a new Monterey installer and recreate your USB instalaltion drive.

This is not an uncommon occurance.

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
downloaded another monterey image (12.4-21f79), created the usb stick, used the same EFI. and i get the same error when trying to install. the previous monterey image i tried was 12.5-21g72.

if this is a bad download then its happened to every one of my attempted downloads for the past several days.

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
downloaded the monterey installer using the app store (not installinstall) on my macbook pro, setup the stick and tried again.

this one got further! got past the 12 minute mark and then gracefully rebooted, booted back into an installer and then it started a macOS Update Assistant and that's when i got the same error message!

IMG_9530.jpg

if you click okay you get the following dialog that just never goes anywhere

IMG_9531.jpg

Edhawk

Guru
Guru

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
same error using a gibMacOs pulled image.

getting desperate i tried moving the NVMe i'm using to the other m.2 slot. same result tho now the installer says my 500gb disk is an external.

IMG_9534.JPGIMG_9535.JPG

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Assumptions:
  1. You are using your real MBP to download and restore the macOS Installer.
  2. You are using a USB pen drive to contain the macOS installation app.
  3. The USB is 16GB or larger.
  4. The USB is formatted HFS+ with a single partition.
  5. You are using CreateInstallMedia Terminal command to restore the full macOS Installation app to your USB pen drive.
  6. You are not trying to use the Recovery Method, as your Ethernet or WiFi may be failing duing the download of the full installer.
Please confirm these assumptions are correct.

If they are not correct what method are you using to create the USB installtion drive?

h3llb3nt

AMD OS X Member
Assumptions:
  1. You are using your real MBP to download and restore the macOS Installer.
  2. You are using a USB pen drive to contain the macOS installation app.
  3. The USB is 16GB or larger.
  4. The USB is formatted HFS+ with a single partition.
  5. You are using CreateInstallMedia Terminal command to restore the full macOS Installation app to your USB pen drive.
  6. You are not trying to use the Recovery Method, as your Ethernet or WiFi may be failing duing the download of the full installer.
Please confirm these assumptions are correct.

If they are not correct what method are you using to create the USB installtion drive?
all assumptions are correct

real mac to download and restore the installer, macbook pro 2015 running 12.5.1 (updated last night!)
using a usb 64 gig datastick pro (usb 3.0). have also used 16gb PNY usb 2.0 drives to same effect
yep 64 and 16
USB gets formatted as MyVolume in Mac os extended (journaled) with one partition
formatting.jpg
i am using creatinstallmedia

createinstallmedia.jpg
i then mount the efi folder using MountEFI and copy over my EFI built with opencore 0.8.3 that works to get to the installer.

i am doing exactly what is says to do here for installation -> https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...llation-process.html#booting-the-opencore-usb
ethernet is not plugged in and i am not signing into Wifi. Date and time are correct in BIOS.
IMG_9539.jpg
IMG_9540.jpg
this is where Install macOS Monterey brings me: it says Revovery in the menu bar. i choose install macOS Monterey as that's my install option.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.