NootedRed, Cezanne APUs (Ryzen 7 5825U). Now trackpad issues.

bigMak

AMD OS X Member
I'm currently working on my second hack, an R7 5825U laptop (HP ENVY x360 15-ey0001na) currently running W11. I'm getting stuck in kernelspace on a few different messages depending on the combination of different ACPI/Kexts enabled:
Code:
USBToolBox: XHC0: waitForMatchingService failed or timed out
USBToolBox: XHC1: waitForMatchingService failed or timed out
or
Code:
ApplePS2Controller: Notification consumer published: ApplePS2Controller
ApplePS2Controller: Notification consumer published: ApplePS2Keyboard
or
I think a certain combination caused it to get stuck on
Code:
apfs_module_start
but I'm not sure.

I've read that it could be a USB issue, so I've tried enabling and disabling USBToolBox and switching between the default kext and my custom generated one. One thing I noticed when creating the custom one is that there were two internal USB ports , no idea if that's related.
I've disabled all of VoodooPS2 in case that was causing an issue.
I tried swapping out ACPI's between prebuilt SSDT-CPUR + SSDT-EC-USBX-LAPTOP and custom SSDT-PNLF + SSDT-EC + SSDT-RTCAWAC + SSDT-USBX.

Disabling SSDT-CPUR gets it stuck on
Code:
Registered CoreAnalyticsHub functions withh xnu.
With SetupVirtualMap disabled it gets stuck on
Code:
too.

If anyone has any ideas on what to try please send my way thanks.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
I'm currently working on my second hack, an R7 5825U laptop (HP ENVY x360 15-ey0001na) currently running W11. I'm getting stuck in kernelspace on a few different messages depending on the combination of different ACPI/Kexts enabled:
Code:
USBToolBox: XHC0: waitForMatchingService failed or timed out
USBToolBox: XHC1: waitForMatchingService failed or timed out
or
Code:
ApplePS2Controller: Notification consumer published: ApplePS2Controller
ApplePS2Controller: Notification consumer published: ApplePS2Keyboard
or
I think a certain combination caused it to get stuck on
Code:
apfs_module_start
but I'm not sure.

I've read that it could be a USB issue, so I've tried enabling and disabling USBToolBox and switching between the default kext and my custom generated one. One thing I noticed when creating the custom one is that there were two internal USB ports , no idea if that's related.
I've disabled all of VoodooPS2 in case that was causing an issue.
I tried swapping out ACPI's between prebuilt SSDT-CPUR + SSDT-EC-USBX-LAPTOP and custom SSDT-PNLF + SSDT-EC + SSDT-RTCAWAC + SSDT-USBX.

Disabling SSDT-CPUR gets it stuck on
Code:
With SetupVirtualMap disabled it gets stuck on
Code:
too.

If anyone has any ideas on what to try please send my way thanks.
Show an image. Use SSDTs from SSDTTime: FixHPET, FakeEC Laptop, USBX, PluginType, RTCAWAC, PNLF, XOSI

bigMak

AMD OS X Member
Ignore this post. I thought PM991 was something that only happens to other people but this time I'm the victim.

Now installing, but every time the installer reaches about 12 minutes remaining, the system freezes, with the last message in the installer log saying
Code:
Exiting operations
I've shut down and altered the config.plist in hopes of fixing it, but plebbit users say this is a visual glitch and that the installer is working fine under the hood. I'm not sure if those users actually had their system freeze or the installer just got stuck so I'm not sure if just leaving it for multiple hours would work. When force restarting, I see no new entries in OC so I assume the install wasn't successful.

Last edited:

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Alright @bigMak,

I had a look at your EFI (from your first post) today. Seems you had a couple of issues:

1) Kext loadout very messy. Some important kexts like AppleALC were disabled and also not in the correct order.

2) NootedRed was disabled. Unbelievably you had disabled Nootedred.kext for the AMD IGPU.
No wonder your system stalled at 12 minutes. This is the main graphics driver for the only GPU in your laptop.
Without it it won't run.

3) VoodooPS2 settings were completely disabled. This means you won't have any keyboard or trackpad available
even after booting.

4) Missing VoodooSMBus.kext for the trackpad. Assuming you have a Synaptics trackpad, the official solution (from Acidanethera) is now
to enable VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooRMI and VoodooSMBus. No need for VoodooI2C so that's been removed.

5) Opencanopy and OpenHFSPlus not added/enabled. OpenHFSPlus is for the HFS+ format, without it you won't see any of your Apple format drives.
You had HFSPlus installed but OpenHFSPlus is the preferred kext for OC. OpenCanopy is the graphical menu for Opencore. So these have been added as has the full Resource folder for the OC icons.

6) USBToolbox must load alongside UTBMap or UTBDefault, and must be load first before the one of two map kexts (choose only one).
Assuming you had mapped out your USB correctly, I would choose UTBMap for the build.

So I've gone ahead and updated the above changes to your EFI including bringing it up to the latest OC version 0.9.4. Give it a try.

Attachments

• EFI-new.zip
    11.6 MB · Views: 13

ExtremeXT

Donator
Donator
PM series SSDs are very unstable and the only way to fix them is to use NVMeFix on Mojave or Catalina, the fix broke on Big Sur.

bigMak

AMD OS X Member
Alright @bigMak,

I had a look at your EFI (from your first post) today. Seems you had a couple of issues:

1) Kext loadout very messy. Some important kexts like AppleALC were disabled and also not in the correct order.

2) NootedRed was disabled. Unbelievably you had disabled Nootedred.kext for the AMD IGPU.
No wonder your system stalled at 12 minutes. This is the main graphics driver for the only GPU in your laptop.
Without it it won't run.

3) VoodooPS2 settings were completely disabled. This means you won't have any keyboard or trackpad available
even after booting.

4) Missing VoodooSMBus.kext for the trackpad. Assuming you have a Synaptics trackpad, the official solution (from Acidanethera) is now
to enable VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooRMI and VoodooSMBus. No need for VoodooI2C so that's been removed.

5) Opencanopy and OpenHFSPlus not added/enabled. OpenHFSPlus is for the HFS+ format, without it you won't see any of your Apple format drives.
You had HFSPlus installed but OpenHFSPlus is the preferred kext for OC. OpenCanopy is the graphical menu for Opencore. So these have been added as has the full Resource folder for the OC icons.

6) USBToolbox must load alongside UTBMap or UTBDefault, and must be load first before the one of two map kexts (choose only one).
Assuming you had mapped out your USB correctly, I would choose UTBMap for the build.

So I've gone ahead and updated the above changes to your EFI including bringing it up to the latest OC version 0.9.4. Give it a try.
Hey @Middleman , really appreciate the help.

I disabled VoodooPS2 etc. since until I could boot I was perfectly happy not having keyboard and trackpad input. Is it right for VoodooInput to be enabled in multiple places? (i.e. under VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooInput.kext and under VoodooRMI.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooInput.kext) I got a KP and some of the last messages were VoodooInput-related so I disabled it and now I get stuck at ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint: identify: not an ALPS device: Error getting E6 report

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Hey @Middleman , really appreciate the help.

I disabled VoodooPS2 etc. since until I could boot I was perfectly happy not having keyboard and trackpad input. Is it right for VoodooInput to be enabled in multiple places? (i.e. under VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooInput.kext and under VoodooRMI.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooInput.kext) I got a KP and some of the last messages were VoodooInput-related so I disabled it and now I get stuck at ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint: identify: not an ALPS device: Error getting E6 report
Right. Yes about the VoodooInput you could try disabling any plugins that have already been loaded and just disable any extras. That may help improve things.
As for the error message sounds like it may be ALPS related. Maybe you need to look at this driver > https://github.com/1Revenger1/VoodooPS2-Alps
Also make sure you are using Acidanthera's latest VoodooPS2Controller.kext and not Rehabman's.

bigMak

AMD OS X Member
Right. Yes about the VoodooInput you could try disabling any plugins that have already been loaded and just disable any extras. That may help improve things.
As for the error message sounds like it may be ALPS related. Maybe you need to look at this driver > https://github.com/1Revenger1/VoodooPS2-Alps
Also make sure you are using Acidanthera's latest VoodooPS2Controller.kext and not Rehabman's.
So I think the issue is USB, not the touchpad. Those messages always show up, even with the ALPS kext you suggested but it's always preceeded or followed by xhc0 waitformatchingservice failed or timed out
I've tried redoing my usb map with the native Apple kexts to no avail. Is there anything else you suggest trying to fix usb?

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Okay. In my experience, USB settings under AMD systems are no different to Intel based ones. You do still need SSDT-EC-LAPTOP in APCI (or separately as SSDT-EC & SSDT-USBX as some systems don't work with these combined) and a USB map kext such as USBPort/USBMap or USBToolbox + UTBMap.kext. However on some systems (like my AMD B550) they require either a PTXH to XHC or XHC/XHC2 remapping table (SSDT) or one of the XHC circuits turned off, which I think is something you may require.

To give you an idea of what the USB mapping looks like, here's an example from someone's B550 build where their ports changed under a USB remap SSDT.

USB map.png

bigMak

AMD OS X Member
Okay. In my experience, USB settings under AMD systems are no different to Intel based ones. You do still need SSDT-EC-LAPTOP in APCI (or separately as SSDT-EC & SSDT-USBX as some systems don't work with these combined) and a USB map kext such as USBPort/USBMap or USBToolbox + UTBMap.kext. However on some systems (like my AMD B550) they require either a PTXH to XHC or XHC/XHC2 remapping table (SSDT) or one of the XHC circuits turned off, which I think is something you may require.

To give you an idea of what the USB mapping looks like, here's an example from someone's B550 build where their ports changed under a USB remap SSDT.

View attachment 11230
Currently using SSDT-EC with SSDT-USBX and USBToolbox with UTBMap.
My takeaway from this is I need to be able to boot into macos to map usb ports :/
Is there a way to do this that I'm somehow missing?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes, you can map the USB ports using UTBMap & USBToolBox in Windows. So you have the USB ports mapped before you try to install macOS.

See the Readme doc for instructions on undertaking the USB port config in Windows10 or 11.

bigMak

AMD OS X Member
Yes, you can map the USB ports using UTBMap & USBToolBox in Windows. So you have the USB ports mapped before you try to install macOS.

See the Readme doc for instructions on undertaking the USB port config in Windows10 or 11.

Yeah, I've done this. I assume this is a separate thing though?
However on some systems (like my AMD B550) they require either a PTXH to XHC or XHC/XHC2 remapping table (SSDT) or one of the XHC circuits turned off, which I think is something you may require.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
According to your UTBMap.kext your laptop has 2 x USB controllers - XHC0 and XHC1.
The 11 X USB ports activated in the UTBMap.kext/Contents/info.plist look correct for you laptop.

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 22.22.09.png Laptop external ports

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 22.28.43.png USB ports activated by UTBMap.kext.

What do you have connected to the two Internal USB ports HS03 and HS04 on the XHC0 controller, the built-in Webcam and Bluetooth devices?

Have you replaced the MediaTek WiFi/BT card that came with the HP laptop, with a compatible Broadcom or Intel WiFi/BT card? As the built-in WiFi/BT card won't work in macOS as there are no drivers/kexts for the MediaTek cards. Never have been.

Not sure if you will require one of the USB controllers renamed/remapped as suggested by @Middleman.

Confirm which WiFi/BT card you are using and the devices connected to the two internal USB ports and we will see what is required next.

bigMak

AMD OS X Member
According to your UTBMap.kext your laptop has 2 x USB controllers - XHC0 and XHC1.
The 11 X USB ports activated in the UTBMap.kext/Contents/info.plist look correct for you laptop.

View attachment 11237 Laptop external ports

View attachment 11236 USB ports activated by UTBMap.kext.

What do you have connected to the two Internal USB ports HS03 and HS04 on the XHC0 controller, the built-in Webcam and Bluetooth devices?

Have you replaced the MediaTek WiFi/BT card that came with the HP laptop, with a compatible Broadcom or Intel WiFi/BT card? As the built-in WiFi/BT card won't work in macOS as there are no drivers/kexts for the MediaTek cards. Never have been.

Not sure if you will require one of the USB controllers renamed/remapped as suggested by @Middleman.

Confirm which WiFi/BT card you are using and the devices connected to the two internal USB ports and we will see what is required next.
That's correct, there's also two more internal ports that seem to not be connected to anything so I excluded them from the map.
I haven't yet replaced the MT7922, I assumed macos would just ignore it and it wouldn't be an issue. I was hoping to use this so I wouldn't have to replace it and I'm looking into adding support for my chipset to that driver.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I personally would recommend replacing the MediaTek card for an Intel or Broadcom card. Simply because they are more likely to work without issue, compared to your current card and this third-party kext. Some Intel cards can be obtained on eBay for a very small sum, i.e, I recently bought an Intel 3165NGW Wireless LAN Wifi Bluetooth Card for £4.75.

You might be better served disabling the MediaTek card in the bios, if that is possible, while installing and troubleshooting macOS. That way it is less likely to cause any issues when macOS finds it and it doesn't work, at least till you find out if you can add the Device-Id for your MediaTek card to the kext.

The additional Internal ports, were they described as 'Hubs'? If so it might be best to leave them active, even if you don't see any usage in the UTBMap port discovery phase. It is not as if activating these two additional ports would effect the USB port limit on either USB controller, as neither is close to the 15 port limit.

bigMak

AMD OS X Member
I personally would recommend replacing the MediaTek card for an Intel or Broadcom card. Simply because they are more likely to work without issue, compared to your current card and this third-party kext. Some Intel cards can be obtained on eBay for a very small sum, i.e, I recently bought an Intel 3165NGW Wireless LAN Wifi Bluetooth Card for £4.75.

You might be better served disabling the MediaTek card in the bios, if that is possible, while installing and troubleshooting macOS. That way it is less likely to cause any issues when macOS finds it and it doesn't work, at least till you find out if you can add the Device-Id for your MediaTek card to the kext.

The additional Internal ports, were they described as 'Hubs'? If so it might be best to leave them active, even if you don't see any usage in the UTBMap port discovery phase. It is not as if activating these two additional ports would effect the USB port limit on either USB controller, as neither is close to the 15 port limit.
One disadvantage I've found in laptops is that the bios options are incredibly limited; I can't disable the wifi adapter from there. I thought maybe disabling the internal usb port the adapter is connected to would work, but it didn't. £4.75 is very reasonable, do you recommend the Intel 3165NGW?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I wouldn't recommend that card over any other compatible Broadcom or Intel WiFi/BT card. There are faster/better cards, but the 316NGW was fine for upgrading an old Intel Skylake laptop Hack.

According to the HP Spec sheet for your laptop the MediaTek WiFi/BT card will be one of these two cards.
  • MT7921 Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax (2x2)
  • MT7922 Wi-Fi 6E 802.11ax (2x2)
So matching the WiFi 6E specs when selecting a replacement card would be logical, but probably more expensive than the AC 316NGW card.

Here is a link to the list of compatible Intel cards, which you can use to search on eBay for a replacement card. All of the cards listed work with Airportitlwm.kext or Itlwm.kext:

Here is a link to the Maintenance and Service guide for your laptop:

See page 38 of the manual for the removal and replacement of the WiFi/BT card.

bigMak

AMD OS X Member
So I removed the MT7922 and I'm once again getting stuck on
Code:
ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint: identify: not an ALPS device: Error getting E6 report
The trackpad is not an alps device (synaptics I2C), and neither are the touchscreen or pen (both ELAN I2C devices) . @Middleman earlier said to use VoodooPS2Controller, VoodooRMI and VoodooSMBus but not VoodooI2C, but in the VoodooRMI readme it says Voodoo I2C is required for I2C but not VoodooSMBus. VoodooSMBus says to apply a patch which propertree does not recognise as valid (it was made for clover?) then some more patches which look to be also made for clover. I also found this in the OC logs which I included in the EFI below
Code:
OC: Prelinked injection VoodooRMI.kext\Contents\PlugIns\RMII2C.kext (RMII2C.kext) - Invalid Parameter

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    12 MB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.