Max cpu frequency

crixon

AMD OS X Member
Hi, I installed macos catalina and everything works fine (well except sleep but i m still working on that). My concern is that my pc is slightly louder than it was with when I had Windows installed. I just added the kexts for amd power management and power gadget shows that all core's average frequency is at max. I don't know if it's not showing correctly the ghz but if I have something wrong please help me solve it. I looked everywhere and I found only 1 post with no answer... Any help or advise is welcomed :)

Attachments

• Στιγμιότυπο 2020-08-19, 5.48.33 πμ.png
    Στιγμιότυπο 2020-08-19, 5.48.33 πμ.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 23

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
It shows max frequency but virtually no load. You'll also see this by the power consumption which is quite low.

You can try enabling lower power states in the "speed" tab or disabling Core Performance Boost when you don't need maximum single threaded performance.
CPB is very noticable as it boosts for every small load and creates a lot of fan noise in the process. I usually disable it when just working with light loads.

RyzeCooker

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Also, see if you can set your fan speed in your bios (there's often a manual option). Your temperatures are very decent and you could probably get away by setting fans a bit slower. I hardly hear my machine now, with temperatures around 45-50 in idle. I prefer silence over trying to score ultra-low temperatures. 🙃

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
You can configure that app so it doesn't boost and will only run at the base clock.

bdrako

AMD OS X Member
guys, do you inject plugyn-type via SSDT to load X86PlatformPlugin ?

crixon

AMD OS X Member
It shows max frequency but virtually no load. You'll also see this by the power consumption which is quite low.

You can try enabling lower power states in the "speed" tab or disabling Core Performance Boost when you don't need maximum single threaded performance.
CPB is very noticable as it boosts for every small load and creates a lot of fan noise in the process. I usually disable it when just working with light loads.

I did all those settings. I 've changed in bios the fan speed to silent (which again in windows was silent even on normal mode) and no result. I 've found in advanced options in amd tool the attached screenshot which shows a value at max. I don't know what does it mean so I didn't mess with the settings. Maybe something from there sets my cores to run always at 4.25? I mean I have nothing open and the graph frequency doesn't show anything below 4250, that doesn't look normal

Attachments

• Στιγμιότυπο 2020-08-19, 6.47.59 μμ.png
    Στιγμιότυπο 2020-08-19, 6.47.59 μμ.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Right, the base frequency in state P0 should be 3.5 GHz for the 3950X, but the tool itself does not automatically re-configure Pstates.
Does your Mainboard automatically overclock? Maybe a tool under windows does mitigate that again.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.