Issues launching WoW OSX Monterey 12.2

dabbler455

AMD OS X Member
Hey guys,

When launching games like world of Warcraft I get an immediate crash to the desktop. I am able to launch other games like Diablo 3 but it's easy to tell by the behavior of it that it's not fully utilizing the dedicated GPU.

Troubleshooting done:

1. Updated WhateverGreen to version 1.5.6
  2. Checked to make sure Shaneee's - mttr_update_patch was enabled and algrey's was disabled.
  3. disabled the integrated GPU in the config.plist by following dortania's guide.
Identified integrated GPU:

Disabled in config.plist:

Has anyone else ran into this issue and if so how did you fix it? Likewise if I am able to figure out a fix I'll make sure to share it in this thread!

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Immediately crashing to the desktop doesn't mean it's the GPU at fault. Try this. Unzip the attached file and place it inside ~/Library/LaunchAgents.
You can use Finders Go -> Go to Folder function, just copy and paste the location. Then reboot and try to launch it again. Can't say any more without the crash log from the application.

Attachments

• environment.plist.zip
    822 bytes · Views: 4

dabbler455

AMD OS X Member
It's the same behavior as before. I made sure to clear the nvram after I added the plist and no dice. How do I get you a crash log for WoW, is that from the console?

dabbler455

AMD OS X Member
I may have had kext signing turned off when I initially installed it. Could that be the reason why it's crashing? I've attached the most recent log.

Attachments

• 2022-01-29 01.04.00.00 Error.txt
    122.7 KB · Views: 4

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
I'd suggest you make a support ticket with Blizard. I thought it was maybe an issue with the game looking for Intel specific instructions but that doesn't seem to be the case. Here it is running on my system. Never played it before 😂

tomnic

AMD OS X Member
Working perfectly here too, ASRock X570 Steel Legend, AMD R9 5950X and RX 6900XT: double check your settings. You can try "my" benchmark Xonotic and do a Timedemo to see how it runs

dabbler455

AMD OS X Member
I unfortunately reached out to Blizzard already and they won't provide support since it's not actual Mac hardware. What version of the lilu kext are you running? I may try to update that to see if it helps. I'm also going to try a complete uninstall and reinstall of battle.net and World of Warcraft

Last edited:

dabbler455

AMD OS X Member
Total reinstall did not work. In looking at the logs it's complaining about an invalid kernel address

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Assertion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exception Raised!
App:         /Applications/World of Warcraft/_retail_/World of Warcraft.app/Contents/MacOS/World of Warcraft
Error Code:  0x85100086
Exception:   EXC_BAD_ACCESS
Description: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Code:
================================================================================

<Exception.IssueType> Exception
<ExceptionType> Crash
<Exception.PrimaryAssignment> .Mac Team
<Exception.Summary:>
ERROR #134 (0x85100086) KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
EXC_BAD_ACCESS
<:Exception.Summary>

----------------------------------------

dabbler455

AMD OS X Member
I tried removing
Code:
agdpmod=ignore
since I'm running a polaris card after. The issue was not fixed after making this change. In looking into this more it looks like some memory mapping is messed up somewhere in my config.plist

Code:
Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000048
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Kernel Code meaning as per here
  • EXC: The kernel sends an ‘exception’
  • BAD ACESS: Your app is trying to access a block of memory which it can’t

dabbler455

AMD OS X Member
@Shaneee when you have a moment can you look at my plist and see if I have something wonky in there that could be causing my issues?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Which PAT patch are you using in your config? This can sometimes alter how a program launches I found when testing.

dabbler455

AMD OS X Member
I'm using your PAT patch currently. Should I try with Algrey's to see if there is any difference?

dabbler455

AMD OS X Member
Since the console is complaining about invalid address could this be an issue with PciRoot addressing?

Last edited:

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Strange I'm also using my patch. The only big difference between your config and mine that I can think of is I'm not using Whatevergreen. I don't suppose your RX 570 can boot without it?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.