Has anyone found a way to install macOS with a Ryzen APU only?

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
At the moment I run Big Sur with a Ryzen 2600 and Sapphire RX580 8GB. It runs fine, and wireless and Bluetooth both work, iMessage doesn't but that is no big deal.

However the RX580 whilst ok when doing normal stuff such as browsing, email etc but when I open anything graphics intensive like a game the fan noise is just too much.

Yesterday I put together a machine for my wife which uses the Ryzen 7 5700G so she has no graphics card. It is whisper quiet even when gaming, and it games quite well! However, she runs Windows 10.

I know that in the past a "G" version of Ryzen would not work in macOS on its own. The integrated graphics could not be used. But has anything changed with patches etc? I don't want to be playing the lottery on shelling out for another graphics card if it is going to be just as noisy as the one I have.

Thanks

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
There are currently no OC patches for AMD APU (Integrated graphics). None planned either, as far as I am aware.

The only hope for anyone looking to use an AMD APU is development of the WhateverRed project. Which aims to get AMD Integrated Graphics working in macOS.

From reading the details about the WhateverRed kext in the link above, it seems to be limited to running Big Sur or older versions of macOS, with specific APU's excluded from working. Due to changes in newer versions of macOS. So if your Ryzen 7 5700G has a compatible APU that may suit you, if you want to try it out on a spare SSD on your wife's new system.

Regarding your Sapphire RX580, have you tried using the toggle switch on the card?
  • One setting leaves the Bios to deal with temps and fan control, switch set to left hand side.
  • The other setting for the switch sets the GPU to run 'Silent', switch set to right hand side.
The two images below show the toggle switch , which on a Sapphire RX480/580 card sits below the LED mode button.

tempImagewaDfpM.png tempImage4cmg78.png Switch in Bios mode.

The two images below are of a PowerColor Red Devil RX580, which has a slightly different layout, but still uses the toggle switch for Bios or Silent mode.

tempImage6mg0cN.png tempImageF3C2mp.png Switch in Bios mode.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Before anyone says anything, yes both cards do need a good clean!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Thinking some more about your secondhand Sapphire RX580 and the noise from the fan.

Did you take the card apart and replace the thermal grease and any thermal pads when you received the card?

This is fairly easy to do, and probably essential for any secondhand card. As you don't know how hot the previous owner ran the card and if they never undertook a refurb of the thermal grease/pads then they are likely to be dry and not working that well. Which would result in the fan working overtime and running load.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
I didn't take the card apart yet but that is next on the list. I did however move the switch as you suggested and now it is so quiet I barely notice it. Thanks for that suggestion 👍

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Just watch the temperatures, if the fan is not running, logically the card will get hot. So keep an eye on the GPU temps.

I use HWMonitorSMC2 on most if not all of my systems, to keep an eye on my system temps etc. It is free and can be downloaded from the link below. It works with VirtualSMC.kext.

This is a screenshot of the HWMonitorSMC2 app loaded from the Menu bar.

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 23.25.12.png I have set my Radeon Vega 56 temp to show on the menu bar, next to the app icon. So it is easy to monitor the GPU temp.

The fans on my card don't kick in till the temp is around 53°C and then not at full speed.

There are additional Extension Sensor kexts available, which I have attached below. Just be careful which kexts you add to your system. You will probably only require the RadeonMonitor.kext with your system.

You may already be using the VirtualSMC sensors, SMCAMDProcessor.kext along with the AMD Power Gadget app and that may be all you need.

Attachments

• HWMonitor Extensions.zip
    404 KB · Views: 0

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Well, that didn't last long. The card died after less than 3 days of use :( I was just sitting at the desktop, the screen went black and there was a series of beeps, I think one long and three short but can't remember. I tried the card in my Mac Pro running Mojave but it was the same. Luckily the eBay seller has agreed to a refund. But now I am stuck.

I have a Hackintosh with no graphics card and of course, the choice for a replacement is limited. I don't want to risk yet another dodgy eBay card. So what to do?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Best option would be a brand new RX 6600 or similar compatible GPU. This would be more expensive card and restrict you to running Monterey or Ventura, but probably your best option given you don't want to go back to eBay.

I wouldn't recommend the non-brand name RX 580's that are available, they have poor thermal design, noisy fans and are generally poorly/flimsily constructed.

These two Amazon UK links show the lowest priced RX 6600 cards. Yes, one is an XFX card, but they don't have the same issue with broken Vbios in the RX6600 series that plagued them in earlier series.

This is a link to the PowerColor RX 6600 card that is on offer, slightly cheaper, from Ebuyer in the UK.

Here is a link to a guide for using the XFX RX 6600 XT GPU, the Non-XT version should work the same.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Best option would be a brand new RX 6600 or similar compatible GPU. This would be more expensive card and restrict you to running Monterey or Ventura, but probably your best option given you don't want to go back to eBay.

I wouldn't recommend the non-brand name RX 580's that are available, they have poor thermal design, noisy fans and are generally poorly/flimsily constructed.

These two Amazon UK links show the lowest priced RX 6600 cards. Yes, one is an XFX card, but they don't have the same issue with broken Vbios in the RX6600 series that plagued them in earlier series.

This is a link to the PowerColor RX 6600 card that is on offer, slightly cheaper, from Ebuyer in the UK.

Here is a link to a guide for using the XFX RX 6600 XT GPU, the Non-XT version should work the same.

Will the PowerColor card work? I read on the Dortana guide that PowerColor and XFX are cards to avoid but perhaps this is old info?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes, the PowerColor RX 6600 will work.

The recommendation to steer clear of the PowerColor, HIS and XFX cards dates back to the Vega (Navi 10) and RX400/RX500 (Polaris 10/20) series of GPUs.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Thanks. I have ordered the PowerColor and it should be here tomorrow. I then just have the interesting task of getting Ventura or Monterey installed. Not entirely sure how I am going to approach that yet but one step at a time. 😂

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
What version of OpenCore are you currently using? As long as you are using a version newer than OC 0.7.4 you can install Monterey, with your current EFI folder. Just add the agdpmod=pikera boot argument to your config.plist for the RX 6600 dGPU.

You can also create a Monterey USB installation drive in Windows, if you don’t have access to MacOS.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
I am not entirely sure which version of OC I am running but I have a feeling it may be 0.7.4 I can't check because the graphics card has not arrived yet. Should be here in a couple of hours. I did try using my Big Sur NVMe drive in an external NVMe enclosure on my Mac Pro running High Sierra but it doesn't see the drive. I have a vague recollection of there being issues with external NVMe drives and High Sierra.

Anyway, I also have a Ventura boot install USB which I created on my Mac Pro however that is for use on the Mac Pro. Macbook Pro etc and was made using Opencore Patcher. So I am not sure that will work on my Ryzen machine. I know it uses OC 0.8.8 I have attached it in case it is of use.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.8 MB · Views: 2

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Well, I got the new graphics card and put it in my Ryzen machine, not expecting it to boot but, it did! I am not sure why because I thought that the 6600 would not work with Big Sur. However, it is not working as it should. Things are just a little slow and the system report lists it as "Graphics Display 18MB" so I assume I just need to edit the list. But also I am running OC version 0.7.1 released 05/07/2021.

It has been a long time since I did any of this so I will have to look at how to update OC and also how to add that agdpmod=pikera. I have a vague recollection of that from when I first started with a Hackintosh. I am a bit rusty but I am sure I will get there 👍

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The graphics card showing 18mb is expected as there are no drivers in Big Sur for the RX 6600 card, just the RX 6800 & RX 6900 cards. So no graphics acceleration provided in Big Sur with the RX 6600.

Which Plist editor do/did you use - ProperTree, OCAT, Xcode?

If you PM me a copy of your current EFI folder I can provide you with an updated EFI that will work in Monterey/Ventura.

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
I think I user Proper Tree to update the plist.

Thanks for all your help. I have sent you my EFI.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Can you confirm the motherboard make and model and the AMD CPU model used in your system. GPU is obviously the RX 6600.

Also if you are using a built-in Intel WIFI/BT card, which one?

vanquish

AMD OS X Member
Motherboard is Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI.
CPU is the Ryzen 5 2600
The BT/Wifi card is a Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0. I replaced the original card on the motherboard with this one and it works fine.
Storage is WDC WDS500G2B0C-00PXH0

I hope that helps?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.