Fractal Design Torrent - Proxmox 3 GPU Success!

xtrmnt

AMD OS X Member
After several weeks of trial and error I finally have a 3 GPU tower with accelerated graphics working! I thought I would share for anyone looking to do a build like this...

Hardware:
Fractal Design Torrent Case
MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX Motherboard
AMD 5950X CPU
Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200 (4 sticks of 16GB)
Western Digital SN850 2TB (x3) - RAIDZ-1 (VM storage)
Dual Western Digital Blue 500GB - RAID1 (Proxmox OS)
EVGA 1080TI 11GB - Windows 11
XFX SPEEDSTER SWFT210 AMD Radeon RX 6600 - MacOS Monterey
Maxsun RX570 8GB - MacOS Mojave - make sure to update to 10.14.6 for full acceleration and passthrough romfile Sapphire RX580 into the VM as the GPU bios (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/197079/sapphire-rx580-8192-171103)
Corsair HX1200 PSU

I wanted a system that could still run 32-bit apps natively, but also support newer generation operating systems like Windows 11 and Monterey. The biggest challenge was finding a single slot GPU for PCI slot #3 that would not only fit in the case, but also have full graphics acceleration in Mojave. After a long search through Google and eBay, I found a rare gem, the Maxsun RX570. While this GPU is normally a 2 slot card, this particular card did not have the extra DVI port which would present a challenge for the Fractal Design Torrent Case. I removed the cooling fan plastic casing and fans from the RX570 as seen in the pictures. It all works great!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.