First OS X Install

crazychristie

AMD OS X Member
I'm running Ryzen 9 5900x RTX3060 and Gskill Ripjaws 32gb 3600mhz ram, gigabyte 570 elite motherboard. Will this system run AMD OSX or not really? Any help is appreciated thanks.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
OSX = CATALINA was the last OSX, or do you mean MacOS? You can use the Vega IGPU with NootedRed patch and you will be fine. Disable the Nvidia GPU, not compatible

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
OSX = CATALINA was the last OSX, or do you mean MacOS? You can use the Vega IGPU with NootedRed patch and you will be fine. Disable the Nvidia GPU, not compatible
Except the 5900X processor doesn't have an iGPU, its just not going to work without a compatible AMD Graphics Card.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Correct, O have a hat with the 2700 and doesn't have an IGPU, so I have it with a Vega 56
That is your configuration, not theirs, they won't have any success with the information you provided is all I am saying.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
That is your configuration, not theirs, they won't have any success with the information you provided is all I am saying.
NootedRed start working on Big Sur or Monterey now that I think of it.. I was stating that he can get it to work with the IGPU, depending on the OS and how he sets up his EFI

edit: the other point is that OSX is only referred to anything up to Catalina

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
NootedRed start working on Big Sur or Monterey now that I think of it.. I was stating that he can get it to work with the IGPU, depending on the OS and how he sets up his EFI

edit: the other point is that OSX is only referred to anything up to Catalina
With what CPU? Are you telling him to buy a different one with a supported iGPU?

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
From my recollection:
  1. El Capitan was the first Apple release to be referred to as macOS within the OS.
  2. Since the release of Snow Leopard they were all OS X, it is where the '10' in the OS numbering comes from, i.e. 10.6.x, 10.7.x, 10.8.x etc.
  3. Even though the El Capitan installer contained OS X in the name, the 'About This Mac' tab listed the OS as 'macOS El Capitan'.
  4. Between El Capitan & High Sierra macOS and OS X were interchangeable.
  5. Mojave was never called OS X Mojave.
Now to get back on tangent:

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
From my recollection:
  1. El Capitan was the first Apple release to be referred to as macOS within the OS.
  2. Since the release of Snow Leopard they were all OS X, it is where the '10' in the OS numbering comes from, i.e. 10.6.x, 10.7.x, 10.8.x etc.
  3. Even though the El Capitan installer contained OS X in the name, the 'About This Mac' tab listed the OS as 'macOS El Capitan'.
  4. Between El Capitan & High Sierra macOS and OS X were interchangeable.
  5. Mojave was never called OS X Mojave.
Now to get back on tangent:
Exactly, might be a language barrier here not known at this time.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Im not telling to do anything, I am informing of technical info
You seem to be missing the point that your information does not apply to him because of the hardware he has.

Saathi77

AMD OS X Member
It seems there might be a clarification needed here. If referring to the latest macOS it's beyond Catalina—perhaps you meant MacOS?

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
It seems there might be a clarification needed here. If referring to the latest macOS, it's beyond Catalina—perhaps you meant MacOS?
So the last iteration of OSX was 10.15 Catalina. Starting with Big Sur (MacOS 11.0) Apple no longer follows the versioning number structure of OSX. Sonoma is now MacOS 14.

LeviTaylor

AMD OS X Member
Was macOS Catalina the final version of macOS, or are you referring to macOS in general? Utilizing the Vega integrated graphics with the NootedRed patch should work well. It's recommended to disable the Nvidia GPU, as it's not compatible.

Mac Arthur

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.