Final solution to install macOS12/13 on MSI B550 Buggy MBs

TheBlueMister

AMD OS X Member
CO-OP with Pikachu and P2mmao.
See this in CHN at links below 👇

FIRST: Plz make sure you board only has one PCIE4 M.2 SSD on the First M.2 Slot(That's important) and make sure there aren't any more M.2 SSD and SATA DEVICES installed on your board.
SECOND: Boot macOS Installer from External Disk like Samsung T7 or other removable USB Storage Drive. (you need to burn install dmg into your external drive first)
LAST: Boot ur installation USB with EFI which you can successfully boot macOS11 and logically fit for 12 or 13. ENJOY.

KNOWN ISSUES: 1. No WiFi. 2. No BLE. 3. No Ethernet Connection (Sometimes happend)

HOW TO FIX ISSUES: Buy an USB WLAN Adapter which can work successfully with MAC on Ali Express or Amazon.

MSI Engineers are working on this problem and they will successfully solve it in a month(maybe).Thanks for your all working with MSI Buggy B550 Boards.

p2mmao

AMD OS X Member

FIRST: Plz make sure you board only has one PCIE4 M.2 SSD on the First M.2 Slot(That's important) and make sure there aren't any more M.2 SSD and SATA DEVICES installed on your board.
SECOND: Boot macOS Installer from External Disk like Samsung T7 or other removable USB Storage Drive. (you need to burn install dmg into your external drive first)
LAST: Boot ur installation USB with EFI which you can successfully boot macOS11 and logically fit for 12 or 13. ENJOY.

KNOWN ISSUES: 1. No WiFi. 2. No BLE. 3. No Ethernet Connection (Sometimes happend)

HOW TO FIX ISSUES: Buy an USB WLAN Adapter which can work successfully with MAC on Ali Express or Amazon.

MSI Engineers are working on this problem and they will successfully solve it in a month(maybe).Thanks for your all working with MSI Buggy B550 Boards.
A very detailed guide

Levonhard

AMD OS X Member

How do you know that MSI engineers are working to solve this problem?

I never hoped for them to solve this because hackintosh have not many users for them to care about, and hackintosh is not an official thing.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member

I never hoped for them to solve this because hackintosh have not many users for them to care about, and hackintosh is not an official thing.
Here's my thinking. MSI is a Chinese company and the PCBeta website is a Chinese tech site. The US Trade War in recent years has perhaps left a lot of Chinese tech companies in the lurch (not including the fall of Bitcoin/crypto which is affecting their bottom line) and so they are perhaps probably more willing than ever now to try and innovate to try to break out of this deadlock.

TheBlueMister

AMD OS X Member

Cause one of MSI Engineer are friend of my friend Pikachu

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
For those of you who are looking to install macOS on MSI motherboards you could perhaps try have a look at my EFI here
My EFI works for up to Monterey 12.3+. Please adjust core count in Kernel > Patches as needed according to the AMD Vanilla kernel guide on Github.

With regards to the report that the system may not boot from other M.2 devices, you may need to install SATA-unsupported.kext I've attached here below (unzip it first) as well as NVMEFix.kext.

For WiFi I would suggest testing (and switching between) either latest built itlwm.kext or Airportitlwm.kext for Intel based cards. Some Big Sur installs worked better in my experience with itlwm.kext whereas Monterey worked better with Airportitlwm.kext.

And for all AMD CPU users, if you are booting 12.4 Monterey, you will also need AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext enabled.

Attachments

• SATA-unsupported.kext.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 14

apriliars3

AMD OS X Member
For those of you who are looking to install macOS on MSI motherboards you could perhaps try have a look at my EFI here

My EFI works for up to Monterey 12.3+. Please adjust core count in Kernel > Patches as needed according to the AMD Vanilla kernel guide on Github.

With regards to the report that the system may not boot from other M.2 devices, you may need to install SATA-unsupported.kext I've attached here below (unzip it first) as well as NVMEFix.kext.

For WiFi I would suggest testing (and switching between) either latest built itlwm.kext or Airportitlwm.kext for Intel based cards. Some Big Sur installs worked better in my experience with itlwm.kext whereas Monterey worked better with Airportitlwm.kext.

And for all AMD CPU users, if you are booting 12.4 Monterey, you will also need AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext enabled.
What is your hardware and msi motherboard?

Can I test with MSI B550 Tomahawk and AMD 3900X with Samung 850 sata ssd.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
What is your hardware and msi motherboard?

Can I test with MSI B550 Tomahawk and AMD 3900X with Samung 850 sata ssd.
No mine is not a MSI motherboard but a Gigabyte - B550 Vision D with 5900X to be exact.
The build is confirmed working with Monterey 12.3+ and is rock solid.

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
But the issues is with MSI bios motherboard, Gigabyte is compatible with all bios.
Perhaps it calls for the use of Coreboot >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coreboot

Coreboot is a very powerful open source firmware designed for PowerPC, x86-x64, RISC-V & ARMv8 that can replace whatever proprietary BIOS firmware in the system and allow it to boot say Linux or any other operating system. It may help MSI users get around the issue of a troubling motherboard implementation.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Not sure, the MSI 500-series motherboard had issues in Monterey, not sure if they have been solved in Ventura.

YI would recommend you use a spare SSD/NVMe/HDD for thge Ventura installation, not try to upgrade your current Big Sur install. So you retain your curent working Big Sur drive in case the Ventura installation doesn't work.

Ventura requires OC 0.8.3 as minimum better to use 0.8.5 or 0.8.6 with the latest/revised AMD patches,as these are required for your AMD system to work with macOS Ventura.

apriliars3

AMD OS X Member
I updated my EFI to OC 0.8.5 and works with Big Sur, but when I try to install from pendrive macOS Ventura, boot and freeze with this cross.

I have MSI B550 Tomahawk + Nvidia GT710 with Samsung 970 Evo (Windows 10) and Samsung 850 Evo (macOS Ventura) and bios updated for Ryzen 5000. Can any help me if it is possible install Ventura or update to Monterey with this curse motherboard?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 5

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The error you are facing is ‘still waiting for root device’. This is common when the USB installer is dropped by the OS after control has been handed over to the OS from the bios.

You should try using a different USB port in the first instance.

The better solution is to map your USB ports in Catalina, so they work without issue in macOS.

apriliars3

AMD OS X Member
The error you are facing is ‘still waiting for root device’. This is common when the USB installer is dropped by the OS after control has been handed over to the OS from the bios.

You should try using a different USB port in the first instance.

The better solution is to map your USB ports in Catalina, so they work without issue in macOS.
I test with different ports, front and rear of the case and motherboard.

How can map my usb ports? All works with macOS Big Sur, I can use any of this, also I can boot macOS Big Sur with this pendrive, but if I try boot macOS Installer has issue with USBXHCI I understand. I test with Samdisk Extreme 16GB usb 3.0, I can test with other Toshiba 32GB usb 2.0 better.

Need modify something on bios? I have MSI B550 Tomahawk motherboard, and dortania guide recommended ony Big Sur, and I can update to Monterey or install Ventura.

Hardware Limitations | OpenCore Install Guide (dortania.github.io)

For the most part, all motherboards are supported as long as the CPU is. The exception is MSI 500-series AMD motherboards (A520, B550, and X570). These motherboards have issues with macOS Monterey:
  • PCIe devices are not always enumerated properly
  • The BIOS update for Zen 3 support breaks boot
macOS Big Sur or earlier is recommended for these motherboards.

shnyaps

AMD OS X Member
I test with different ports, front and rear of the case and motherboard.

How can map my usb ports? All works with macOS Big Sur, I can use any of this, also I can boot macOS Big Sur with this pendrive, but if I try boot macOS Installer has issue with USBXHCI I understand. I test with Samdisk Extreme 16GB usb 3.0, I can test with other Toshiba 32GB usb 2.0 better.

Need modify something on bios? I have MSI B550 Tomahawk motherboard, and dortania guide recommended ony Big Sur, and I can update to Monterey or install Ventura.

Hardware Limitations | OpenCore Install Guide (dortania.github.io)

For the most part, all motherboards are supported as long as the CPU is. The exception is MSI 500-series AMD motherboards (A520, B550, and X570). These motherboards have issues with macOS Monterey:
  • PCIe devices are not always enumerated properly
  • The BIOS update for Zen 3 support breaks boot
macOS Big Sur or earlier is recommended for these motherboards.
hmm.. I have MSI x570 MB+5950x and Ventura is working amazing. Just recreated config from zero (step by step)

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.