CPU Temps

savage001

AMD OS X Member
Hey all. I’ve got a Ryzen 9 5900x and in macOS according to the AMD Power Gadget it runs at around 55 degrees at idle. Is this normal for this chip or do I have an issue somewhere?
RadeonGadget says my GPU is at 45 degrees so I’m not concerned about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hey all. I’ve got a Ryzen 9 5900x and in macOS according to the AMD Power Gadget it runs at around 55 degrees at idle. Is this normal for this chip or do I have an issue somewhere?
RadeonGadget says my GPU is at 45 degrees so I’m not concerned about that.

That's a little high but not exactly terrible, 40 degrees C at idle is typical but lower is also possible. What CPU cooler are you using?

savage001

AMD OS X Member
That's a little high but not exactly terrible, 40 degrees C at idle is typical but lower is also possible. What CPU cooler are you using?

I am using a phanteks glacier one 280 mph AIO.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I am using a phanteks glacier one 280 mph AIO.

Hmmm, that should be sufficient to have lower idle temps but again it's not like your system is going to burn up and fail.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Have you checked whether you have the AIO fans orientated correctly i.e not pulling warm air from the PC case through the radiator but rather pulling cooler (external) air in through the radiator? Having the fans orientated incorrectly can result in slightly higher idle temps.

savage001

AMD OS X Member
Have you checked whether you have the AIO fans orientated correctly i.e not pulling warm air from the PC case through the radiator but rather pulling cooler (external) air in through the radiator? Having the fans orientated incorrectly can result in slightly higher idle temps.

99% sure they are oriented the correct direction but I will double check. Thinking about pulling it off and check the thermal paste as well.

savage001

AMD OS X Member
Fan oriented is correct.
Motherboard reports cpu temp anywhere from 6 - 20 cooler than AMD Power Gadget.
I’m still testing but with the way my fan curves are set if it was idling at 50~ then rpm would be higher. I think I need to use a different temperature monitor or contact the dev of the power gadget for an update.
Today's idle temps are better after ticking all the boxes on expositive data for OpenCore.
Screenshot of bios was taken directly after a reboot from Sonoma so I think my temps are ok just not being reported correctly.
2fd9565a582cb44b047a9d66542ba09a.jpg

d492942b77f77ee00340d625f281d9b3.jpg

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Fan oriented is correct.
Motherboard reports cpu temp anywhere from 6 - 20 cooler than AMD Power Gadget.
I’m still testing but with the way my fan curves are set if it was idling at 50~ then rpm would be higher. I think I need to use a different temperature monitor or contact the dev of the power gadget for an update.
Today's idle temps are better after ticking all the boxes on expositive data for OpenCore.
Screenshot of bios was taken directly after a reboot from Sonoma so I think my temps are ok just not being reported correctly.
2fd9565a582cb44b047a9d66542ba09a.jpg

d492942b77f77ee00340d625f281d9b3.jpg

Keep in mind temperature readings from within the bios show the CPU with minimal load vs from within an operating system. A better comparison of your CPU temps would be Mac OS vs Windows or Linux.

savage001

AMD OS X Member
What temp monitors would you suggest on the other 2 operating systems?
I have Winblows 11 and Arch Linux.

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You can also use the free version of HW Monitor for Voltages, temperatures and fan(s) speed monitoring in Windows.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.