Solved Can't get to Ventura Installer

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
Hey folks,

With the new AppleGB.kext reportedly working, I decided to try and update to Ventura from Big Sur but not before I do a clean install on a test drive. So I created a Ventura USB boot drive, however I can't even boot the installer. I get stuck seconds into the boot at this:

IMG_0135.jpg

Attached is my EFI.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.9 MB · Views: 8

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try adding SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml table attached below to your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder along with a companion entry for the SSDT in your config.plist.

Attachments

• SSDT-EC-USBX-AMD.aml.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 11

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
Still a no-go. I get stuck at the same spot. USB goes dead and the system hangs. Does Ventura need a special kext and/or boot arg vs Big Sur?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No, Ventura doesn't need any special kexts or boot args compared to Big Sur.
  1. Saying that, you should be using the latest version of all the kexts in your /OC/Kexts folder, that is a given whenever you update a major release of macOS.
  2. If I remember correctly there was an issue with the older versions of AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext, which was fixed in the most recent release 0.7.1.
  3. You should also be using the latest version of OpenCore along with the newest AMD Kernel Patches.
  4. Ventura gained support in OpenCore from release 0.8.4. So you need to be using OC 0.8.4 as a minimum for Ventura to boot.

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
Updated all Kexts and OpenCore, and still the same. So frustrating. It has to be something simple and can't find what is wrong.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Post a copy of your updated EFI, so we can see what you are using.

Have you changed/disabled the OC config.plist SetupVirtualMap quirk? Your board may require this quirk to be disabled, while other boards boot with it enabled.

Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 21.30.55.png

Have you tried this quirk enabled and disabled, does it make any difference?
Did you use the ResetNvramEntry.efi from the OC Boot screen, to clear the old settings before booting with the new?

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
Tried Reset NVRAM, tried enabling SetupVirtualMap. Still the same hangup. I even tried installing Monterey to see maybe if I can simply update to Ventura from system prefs and it hangs here:
IMG_0139.jpg

Installing Big Sur is not an issue. Most frustrating.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.9 MB · Views: 2

Edhawk

Guru
Guru

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
You are using an old version of the AMD Kernel Patches, which don't include the options for Ventura.

You have Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit set as True, this stopped working with Big Sur 11.3 or newer.

You have Misc > Security > SecureBootModel set as Disabled, this should be set as Default when using iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 SMBIOS.

You have NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > csr-active-config set as <67000000>

This is an actually old entry from Clover, which was used to disable SIP. It is not going to work in any new version of macOS or with OpenCore. Is this why you have SecureBootModel set as Disabled?

You may want to have a read of this part of the OC Troubleshooting guide if your intention is to disable SIP.

# Disable SIP OC Troubleshooting guide

Try this Revised EFI & config.plist,
  • It contains the latest AMD Kernel Patches
  • The XhciPortLimit option has been disabled.
  • SecureBootModel has been set as Default
  • csr-active-config has been set as < 00000000> Sip enabled.
  • A number of placeholder entries have been removed/deleted
You need to add your SMBIOS data to the revised config.plist before you use it. I would also recommend you use the ResetNvramEntry.efi tool from the OC boot screen, before you boot with this EFI.

Attachments

• EFI-2-rev.zip
    21.1 MB · Views: 19

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
You have NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > csr-active-config set as <67000000>

This is an actually old entry from Clover, which was used to disable SIP. It is not going to work in any new version of macOS or with OpenCore. Is this why you have SecureBootModel set as Disabled?

You may want to have a read of this part of the OC Troubleshooting guide if your intention is to disable SIP.

Thank you for you help, much appreciated! 🤟😎

As for the quote snippet, I was simply following a guide when I moved from Clover to OpenCore back in the day, hence why I had some outdated entries; I have no active reason to have SIP disabled. After adding my SMBIO info I transferred the new EFI to my test drive and it booted fine, so I copied it to my main boot and switched to AppleGB.kext which so far seems to be working A-OK!

Anyway, as for installing Ventura I have gotten much further in the boot but it still hangs (in the same spot as if I try Monterey). Tried reseting the NVRAM between boots and still the same. So close yet something is causing a snag.

IMG_0142.jpg

Last edited:

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@Bansaku ,

Here's a modified version of your config.plist to try:
  • Copy Platform Info credentials back into PlatformInfo section before use
  • Although a handful of changes are made, the one most likely to affect Ventura installer is the disabling of SmallTree kext
  • Boot argument -v (for verbose) has been removed
  • We can press and release CMD-V at the OpenCore boot picker to enable Verbose mode

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 14

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ Thanks for your help, but still a no go. Same result, however, I was literally about to say f-it because if you and @Edhawk can't get things figured out I'm probably S.O.L. until I had a thought... what about AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext? I don't know why that came to mind but the universe spoke to me. I added that to my EFI and BAM, success! I am typing this from Ventura with AppleGB.kext seemingly working flawlessly! The only issue (thus far) is that my CPU is now reported as Intel Xeon W in About This Mac/System Info.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
@CaseySJ Thanks for your help, but still a no go. Same result, however, I was literally about to say f-it because if you and @Edhawk can't get things figured out I'm probably S.O.L. until I had a thought... what about AppleMCEReporterDisabler.kext? I don't know why that came to mind but the universe spoke to me. I added that to my EFI and BAM, success! I am typing this from Ventura with AppleGB.kext seemingly working flawlessly! The only issue (thus far) is that my CPU is now reported as Intel Xeon W in About This Mac/System Info.
AppleMCEReporterDisabler was already mentioned by @Edhawk in post #8 above.

Bansaku

AMD OS X Member
AppleMCEReporterDisabler was already mentioned by @Edhawk in post #8 above.

.............. ok then! It seems some how I completely missed #8! Ok I know how, by hitting End and scrolling up to the top of post #9. Whoops! Wow, don't I feel the fool, it was right there. 😅

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
No worries, happens to all of us. I saw post #8 before downloading and modifying the config.plist, but assumed the kext had been added. So I also did not check on it.

anakputuku

AMD OS X Member
Hi ALl.. you install Ventura with Dortania guide or olarila?

slead

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.