Cannot get Sonoma installation to start (ASRock X670E Lightning)

HilbertSpace

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the excellent information on this site - very useful.

I previously had OC Ventura running on some older hardware. Recently upgraded to the hardware listed below but cannot get Sonoma to begin the installation process.

Followed the Dortania guide, and included the slide value (81), and tried about 10 verions of different MMIO settings with the DevirtualiseMmio quirk.

Get the dreaded errors:

Bash:
23:826 00:019 AAPL: #[EB|LOG:EXIT] 2024-06-17T17:21:04
23:845 00:019 OC: Boot failed - Aborted

I found some stuff that mentioned using a different USB drive; tried that with two alternatives; along with trying Ventura (instead of Sonoma). Updated BIOS; and triple-checked BIOS settings. No go.

Attached are the relevant details and plist (config_fail.plist - with altered SMBIOS info).
And the debug log file (opencore-ASRockX670E.txt).

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 19.08.02.png

Hardware:

MB: ASRock X670E PG Lightning (BIOS ver: 2.10)
CPU: 7700X
SDD 1: WD SN770 2TB (Windows 11 currently)
SDD 2: Plextor M8Pe 512 GB (empty - except FAT32 on 30 GB partition)

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• config_fail.plist
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • opencore-ASRockX670E.txt
    255.9 KB · Views: 1

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the excellent information on this site - very useful.

I previously had OC Ventura running on some older hardware. Recently upgraded to the hardware listed below but cannot get Sonoma to begin the installation process.

Followed the Dortania guide, and included the slide value (81), and tried about 10 verions of different MMIO settings with the DevirtualiseMmio quirk.

Get the dreaded errors:

Bash:
23:826 00:019 AAPL: #[EB|LOG:EXIT] 2024-06-17T17:21:04
23:845 00:019 OC: Boot failed - Aborted

I found some stuff that mentioned using a different USB drive; tried that with two alternatives; along with trying Ventura (instead of Sonoma). Updated BIOS; and triple-checked BIOS settings. No go.

Attached are the relevant details and plist (config_fail.plist - with altered SMBIOS info).
And the debug log file (opencore-ASRockX670E.txt).

View attachment 14304

Hardware:

MB: ASRock X670E PG Lightning (BIOS ver: 2.10)
CPU: 7700X
SDD 1: WD SN770 2TB (Windows 11 currently)
SDD 2: Plextor M8Pe 512 GB (empty - except FAT32 on 30 GB partition)

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
See this post here for a similar motherboard. The EFI folder would need to be updated to run Sonoma and current versions of Ventura. Hopefully your bios version does not conflict and stop it from loading almost immediately throwing the error message you list (but other things cause that as well). Later versions of Asus bioses have that effect, not sure about Asrock

Attached is an updated EFI, no serial numbers which you will need to add, and all Wifi/ Bluetooth (your board doesn't have WIFI or Bluetooth) and other nonessential kexts disabled. Misc/ Security is also set to disabled so it should boot Sonoma or Ventura except for possible bios issues. Older is better if there is an issue, 2.10 may be okay.

USB Ports are not mapped, if you get a prohibited sign trying to boot try another port. You will need to map them later and figure out sound.

Attachments

• EFI-2.zip
    32.8 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

HilbertSpace

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hello @leesurone ,

Thanks for the EFI and suggestions. I compared the specifications of the ASRock Pro RS to the ASRock PG Lightning and you are right; the MB's are almost identical. I'll look closely at the differences between the EFI provided and my own. I probably won't be able to try it until Friday, or possibly the weekend.

If it doesn't work, my next step may be to downgrade the BIOS and try again.

HilbertSpace

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Made some progress. I found an EFI folder from another site that was based on this motherboard (ASRock X670E PG Lightning). I copied over the relevant details, and changed some stuff (mainly patches due to using a 7700X, versus a 7950X). Was able to get things installing until it froze at: "About 14 minutes remaining".

The Installer Log either hangs on this message:
osinstallersetupd[193]: Failed to find incompatible apps list on software update catalog
or it gets a tad further and hangs on this one:
osinstallersetupd[215]: Extracting /Volumes/Shared Support/com_apple_MobileAsset_MacSoftwareUpdate/9c...###...zip -> /Volumes/mac OS SSD/macOS Install Data/UpdateBundle
Anyone have any ideas?

leesurone

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Made some progress. I found an EFI folder from another site that was based on this motherboard (ASRock X670E PG Lightning). I copied over the relevant details, and changed some stuff (mainly patches due to using a 7700X, versus a 7950X). Was able to get things installing until it froze at: "About 14 minutes remaining".

The Installer Log either hangs on this message:

or it gets a tad further and hangs on this one:

Anyone have any ideas?
Hi @HilbertSpace , best to take a screen shot of the entire page when it stops booting. Also please zip and upload your EFI for additional help.

HilbertSpace

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I believe the installer hangs when it is trying to reboot for the first time. I tried various ideas I found online to help it out, but nothing worked. I also tried installing Sonoma from a working MacBook Pro (2019 - Intel) onto an external SSD (NVME), it installed fine and I was able to boot from it externally with the MacBook Pro. I then copied over the EFI folder attached, and tried booting that way both as an external drive, and an internal drive. Still no go. It just sits there with a blank screen - not frozen though.

I do appreciate the help and any pointers anyone might have.

Attachments

• EFI_ASRock_X670E_PG_Lightning.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 0

HilbertSpace

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Success_2024-06-24.png
Thanks @leesurone for your help. I was about ready to install Debian, until you added a reply. My last issue was using a XTXH variant of the 6900 XT, so I needed to spoof the GPU. Then I could see the login screen. I'm worried that installing macOS externally by using a MacBook Pro, that I'll run into issues with updates. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Next issue is to get ethernet working, but a possible end is in sight to the tinkering. :)

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.