Can anyone help me identify what I'm doing wrong?

Kapsi

AMD OS X Member
Basically the title. A couple of days ago I tried to use the EFI shared by @Middleman, but in the end I decided to do the whole process on my own once again using some kexts from the EFI he shared because I didn't know how to configure them in a way that my Motherboard's native WIFI card would work.

After trying to do everything with a lot of patience and care, at the moment of trying to install the OS, I could see the option to select my USB, after that it started the process, but everything said "Failed" once it finished, the computer shut down completely and I'm lost not knowing what I did wrong. Maybe I misunderstood something as English is my second language and I wanted to ask for your help with this. Thank you very much in advance.

My specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X @ 3.7GHz.

Motherboard: ASUS Rog Strix B550-i Gaming.

RAM: 16GB 1x16GB - (I'm waiting for an RMA from the other stick, it should be 32GB in total).

Audio Chipset: SupremeFX7.1 Audio CODEC S1220A

GPU: XFX Speedster SWFT 210 AMD Radeon™ RX 6600 XT.

WiFi & Bluetooth: Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200.

Lan: Intel® I225-V 2.5Gb Ethernet.

Disk: WD_Black 500GB SN750 SE NVMe.

I used OpenCore 0.8.3 to try to install macOS Monterey.

Once again, thanks in advance for the help. I hope you all have an amazing day!

Attachments

• EFI USB FOLDER.zip
    36.8 MB · Views: 1

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Are you using the Recovery method or the Full Installer method to install macOS Monterey? Your Ethernet may not work in macOS, so using the Full installer is a better option.

Which version of macOS Monterey are you using? Your AMD GPU requires Monterey 12.1 or newer.

I assume you are using the Full Installer, have a version of Monterey newer than 12.1.
That you have not Enabled 'Above 4G Decoding' in your bios.

That being the case try this Oc 0.8.3 EFI, which is set for a 6-core CPU on a B550 motherboard.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    30.6 MB · Views: 4

Kapsi

AMD OS X Member
Are you using the Recovery method or the Full Installer method to install macOS Monterey? Your Ethernet may not work in macOS, so using the Full installer is a better option.

Which version of macOS Monterey are you using? Your AMD GPU requires Monterey 12.1 or newer.

I assume you are using the Full Installer, have a version of Monterey newer than 12.1.
That you have not Enabled 'Above 4G Decoding' in your bios.

That being the case try this Oc 0.8.3 EFI, which is set for a 6-core CPU on a B550 motherboard.
Hey! First of all, thank you for your quick reply. I was looking for some extra info before replying to you. Sorry if it took me too long!

As far as I understand I am using the full installer method. To get the latest version of macOS I used the OpenCorePkg cmd with the command "python ./macrecovery.py -b Mac-E43C1C25D4880AD6 -m 000000000000000000000 download". Dortania said this was the latest version, but it also said it was version 12, not 12.1.

Using that command I got two files "BaseSystem.chunklist" and "BaseSystem.dmg" Do you know if there is a way to check that these files do have macOS Monterrey version 12.1 and not just 12?

I did enable the "Above 4G Decoding" feature in my BIOS and made sure not to include "npci=0x3000" in my config.plist.

Regarding the Ethernet, I read in the guide that it was supported using LucyRTL8125Ethernet, this is what it said: "For Intel's I225-V NICs, patches are mentioned in the desktop Comet Lake DeviceProperties section. No kext is required." So I think it is supported, but my knowledge is much more limited than yours, so I could be wrong.

Do you think I should still try your EFI? Thanks again!

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No, do not use the EFI attached in post #2. It is not correct for your setup.

The EFI attached below is a better match. It has the correct patches and boot arg for your Intel i225-V ethernet controller running Monterey 12.2.1 or newer.

Ethernet
LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext is only used with Realtek 2.5GB Ethernet controllers, not Intel Ethernet as your motherboard uses. It has been removed from the EFI below.

AMD GPU
Your AMD RX6600 XT will not work in the early releases of macOS Monterey. You need to be using/installing macOS Monterey 12.1 or newer. I would recommend 12.5.1 if you can download that version.

MacOS download
If you are not sure which macOS installer you have downloaded, I would recommend you check by rerunning macrecover.py to see what it says about your downloaded dmg.

I am not sure if you can get a recovery only dmg for Monterey or Big Sur. I think all the downloads, those I have seen using gibmacOS are full installers 12+GB in size.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    30.5 MB · Views: 3

Kapsi

AMD OS X Member
Hi again! I have been trying to find out which version of macOS macrecovery.py downloaded, but I have not been able to. I decided to run it one more time and I attach the image with the results. I don't know if you can identify the version just by looking at the numbers, but I can't :(

Thank you very much for your EFI folder. I was checking my "com.apple.recovery.boot" folder and it only weighs 623 MB. My USB is 16 GB and I used Rufus to format it, could you tell me where I can get a guide to download the 12+ GB OS as you mentioned? Maybe that's the problem...

macrecovery details.png
Edit: I decided to test your EFI folder, the first thing that happened is that the USB selection screen was different. Before it showed some lines like cmd and now it appeared something similar to OpenCore's picker and the only option I could select was the USB.

On the first try, I didn't touch anything and the PC showed the whole process and once again everything ended in "failed". Then it restarted itself and this time I did press the enter key on the USB logo. The whole process was repeated, it failed again and I decided not to touch anything while trying to identify the error so I could look it up online.

When I saw that it was going to reboot for the third time, I was going to force shutdown when I magically appeared at the macOS recovery screen. I formatted the hard drive as I had read and proceeded to try to install Monterey, I tried to connect to my home WIFI, but there was an error, after that, I shared internet from my cellphone and it connected to this network. As I knew that the WIFI was working I decided to try to change the network to my home network and it worked, I formatted the disk again and tried to install the OS once more. First it told me it would take 2 hours and 9 minutes, then it went up to 5 hours and after downloading for about 40 minutes the error "PKDownloadError error 8" appeared, I tried to download it again and I got the error "Failed to download required installer asset. (UpdateBrain.zip)". Once again I decided to format the disk and try again, but after 20 minutes the error "PKDownloadError error 8" appeared again.

That's all the progress I have had so far. I am looking into fixing these errors, however I wanted to leave the update in case there was important information that might be useful to someone in the future.

Edit 2: I read that it might be a problem with the WiFi signal because it also happens with real Apple PCs, so I'll try tomorrow with an Ethernet cable, I don't know if it will work but I guess it's worth a try!

Edit 3: I tried to download the OS with the Ethernet cable and it worked, so now I know both the wifi and Ethernet port work!!! Right now I'm seeing the macOS Monterey home screen but I have to leave home. As soon as I get back I'll follow the Dortania's Post Install guide and I'll update to see if everything is working as intended! Thanks again!

Update 4: I have been quite busy the last couple of weeks and that's why it took me so long to reply. As of now almost everything is working perfectly, but there are some issues that I'm trying to resolve. 1) Sometimes the wifi doesn't work if I boot windows first and in order to make it work again, I have to turn the PC entirely for a couple hours, but the Ethernet ports works, and that's what I have been using. It shows that is has something to do with the Network preferences. 2) Sometimes my keyboard stops working. I already tried mapping the USB ports but that didn't solve the issue, so I'll keep looking for alternatives. That's all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.