Audio stuttering

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member
Hey, guys! Has anyone using the BCM94360NG had any problems with audio? It could be a coincidence, but right after I replaced the original motherboard module with a BCM94360NG, my audio is stuttering. It happens on 2 different hackintoshs (one on nvme and another on sdd, with different EFI) but it doesn't happen on windows. It's driving me crazy! It happens in the audio via usb interface, in the monitor audio via hdmi etc. Tried disabling onboard audio in BIOS, tried with and without AppleALC.kext, nothing solves the problem.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
  1. Have you physically removed the Intel WiFi/BT card from the motherboard?
  2. If you remove the Broadcom WIFI/BT card does the Audio stuttering stop?
  3. Are you using a PCIe adapter with the Broadcom card, or the built-in connector that held your Intel card?
  4. Have you added any third-party kexts or boot arguments to your system along with the Broadcom WiFi/BT card?
  5. If yes, which kexts or boot arguments?

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member
Have you physically removed the Intel WiFi/BT card from the motherboard?
  1. If you remove the Broadcom WIFI/BT card does the Audio stuttering stop?
  2. Are you using a PCIe adapter with the Broadcom card, or the built-in connector that held your Intel card?
  3. Have you added any third-party kexts or boot arguments to your system along with the Broadcom WiFi/BT card?
  4. If yes, which kexts or boot arguments?
1 - It was the first thing I thought, but I haven't tried it yet because I would need to fully disassemble the computer and remove the motherboard from the cabinet to do so. My fear is to do all this and not solve it and still loose BT/Wi-Fi.
2 - I replaced the original card with this one. Both are M.2. I took one out and put the other in place, using the same antenna.
3 - Nope.

I tried disabling onboard BT and Wifi on BIOS but the audio stuttering continues...

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Could be an issue with your USB configuration, as you are using a USB Audio device.

The WiFi/BT card uses an internal USB port for the BT, which if not activated and set with the correct port connector type can cause all sorts of issues. Same goes for the USB port you are using for the Audio device, if not set correctly it too can cause issues. Don't assume that because it works in the same port in Windows that it will automatically work in macOS.

Comparing how a device works in Windows against how it works in macOS is not very helpful. They use different drivers and processes to achieve the same end result. All it really tells us is the device is not defective, nothing more.

Post a copy of current USBMap.kext or UTBMap.kext so we can see what you are using. This is assuming you have created a custom USB configuration for your system.

These are the USB ports available on your motherboard with your 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU.
4 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports (4 at back panel)​
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 front panel connector (Type-E connector)​
4 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports (4 at back panel, , 3 x Type-A+1 x Type-C)​
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports (2 at mid-board) (1 x USB3 header)​
4 x USB 2.0 ports (4 at mid-board) (2 x USB2 headers)​

You may find these two screenshots helpful when discovering your system USB ports, assuming you still have to undertake this essential task.

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 20.37.34.png

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 20.37.48.png

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member
Could be an issue with your USB configuration, as you are using a USB Audio device.

The WiFi/BT card uses an internal USB port for the BT, which if not activated and set with the correct port connector type can cause all sorts of issues. Same goes for the USB port you are using for the Audio device, if not set correctly it too can cause issues. Don't assume that because it works in the same port in Windows that it will automatically work in macOS.

Comparing how a device works in Windows against how it works in macOS is not very helpful. They use different drivers and processes to achieve the same end result. All it really tells us is the device is not defective, nothing more.

Post a copy of current USBMap.kext or UTBMap.kext so we can see what you are using. This is assuming you have created a custom USB configuration for your system.

These are the USB ports available on your motherboard with your 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU.
4 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports (4 at back panel)​
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 front panel connector (Type-E connector)​
4 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports (4 at back panel, , 3 x Type-A+1 x Type-C)​
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports (2 at mid-board) (1 x USB3 header)​
4 x USB 2.0 ports (4 at mid-board) (2 x USB2 headers)​

You may find these two screenshots helpful when discovering your system USB ports, assuming you still have to undertake this essential task.

View attachment 6588

View attachment 6589
About the audio interface : the fact that the problem happens even if I set the monitor's audio output, via HDMI, wouldn't that be an indication that it's not a USB problem?
About the USBMap, I use the one created by @AudioGod . I've been using it for more than a year, without this issue.

Finally, before reading your last reply I ended up taking everything apart and taking the card out. I put the original one back. I've been using the computer for at least 20 minutes and the audio hasn't stuttered yet. It's a good sign, since the stuttering was very common (at least once every couple minutes or so).

The original card is also BT+Wifi. If it was the issue of the internal USB it uses to work, shouldn't the problem continue?

I tested it on Windows just to see if it was a hardware defect, but there I didn't notice any interference.

I do not intend to disassemble again. Can I test the card by connecting it through a pci-to-m2 adapter? Can i use any pci-to-m2 adapter?

Thank you very much for your time and attention.

[Approx. 2 hrs later, not a single stutter in the audio. Of the lesser evils. :)]

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
USB on AMD/Intel Hacks are notoriously finicky if you don't set the USB ports correctly then you can have sound, sleep, wake, reboot and other issues occur in an otherwise perfectly working system/hack.

Have you undertake the essential USB configuration on your AMD system?

Here is a link to the Dortania USB configuration guide, you need to follow the Manual/AMD path through the guide.

Do you have the necessary Intel WiFi and Bluetooth kexts in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder? Along with the companion entries in the config.plist?

I have attached the kexts required for your Intel Wifi/BT to work.
  • Add the three kexts to your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder.
  • Add the three kexts to your config.plist Kernel > Add section, along with the other kext entries.
I have a preference for using Airportitlwm.kext in place of Itlwm.kext when configuring Intel WiFi. As the Airportitlwm kext uses the native Apple/macOS WiFi app to discover and work with the Intel WiFi module. Itlwm.kext requires a different app - Heliport, which makes macOS believe your WiFi module is an Ethernet port.

If the Airportitlwm kext doesn't work with your WiFi card, they you may have to replace it with Itlwm.kext and use the Heliport app.

Just make sure you are not using the two kexts at the same time, as this causes other issues.

Attachments

• Intel WiFi + BT kexts.zip
    21.4 MB · Views: 4

vitorpvcampos

AMD OS X Member
USB on AMD/Intel Hacks are notoriously finicky if you don't set the USB ports correctly then you can have sound, sleep, wake, reboot and other issues occur in an otherwise perfectly working system/hack.

Have you undertake the essential USB configuration on your AMD system?

Here is a link to the Dortania USB configuration guide, you need to follow the Manual/AMD path through the guide.

Do you have the necessary Intel WiFi and Bluetooth kexts in your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder? Along with the companion entries in the config.plist?

I have attached the kexts required for your Intel Wifi/BT to work.
  • Add the three kexts to your /EFI/OC/Kexts folder.
  • Add the three kexts to your config.plist Kernel > Add section, along with the other kext entries.
I have a preference for using Airportitlwm.kext in place of Itlwm.kext when configuring Intel WiFi. As the Airportitlwm kext uses the native Apple/macOS WiFi app to discover and work with the Intel WiFi module. Itlwm.kext requires a different app - Heliport, which makes macOS believe your WiFi module is an Ethernet port.

If the Airportitlwm kext doesn't work with your WiFi card, they you may have to replace it with Itlwm.kext and use the Heliport app.

Just make sure you are not using the two kexts at the same time, as this causes other issues.
On my next vacation I try to do this mapping. I already tried it once, without success.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.