ASUS X670E ProArt | Ryzen 9 7950X | Radeon RX 6950 XT | MacOS Sonoma

drmeatball

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
First off, huge thanks to Ovenlite1 with https://forum.amd-osx.com/threads/a...9-7950x-radeon-rx-6950-xt-macos-ventura.4530/ . We have similar systems and most of the issue I ran into I found had already worked around there. Ty!!

My PCPartPicker List.. created it for Discord figure I'd share it here :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 4.5 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool ASSASSIN IV 79.1 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ProArt X670E-CREATOR WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Radeon RX 6950 XT 16 GB Video Card
Case: Lian Li O11 Air Mini ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AX3000 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax PCIe x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS FV43U 43.0" 3840 x 2160 144 Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G413 SE Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 3 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Corsair HS65 SURROUND 7.1 Channel Headset
External Storage: Sabrent ROCKET XTRM 4 TB External SSD
External Storage: Sabrent ROCKET XTRM 4 TB External SSD
Webcam: Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam

One key difference between my system and Onelite1, OL has a Thunderbolt dock whereas I'm using a Thunderbolt Hub to connect multiple external NVMEs. Mine doesn't have USB ports so all of my USB ports are fully mapped.

Everything works:
Wifi / Bluetooth (Intel chipset)
Thunderbolt (Focusrite interfaces here, Logic Pro / Studio 1)
Adobe Products (AM5 chips have the missing CPU instructions that AM4 lacks)
4k 4:4:4 @ 12bpc 144hz
Sonoma

I'm assembling my EFI folder for anyone who may find it useful.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 10.34.32 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 10.34.32 AM.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 54

drmeatball

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Opencore 0.9.5 EFI - add your own PlatformInfo and feel free to turn off -v (I old school, I like a wall of diagnostic text)

All front and rear facing and case USB ports work and are inside the 15 port limit. If you use a Fenvi or an Intel/Asus card, the middle internal header is enabled for use.

Attachments

• EFI-0.9.5.zip
    48.1 MB · Views: 136

drmeatball

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Don't mean to keep bumping but I just wanted to confirm I do have working WiFi and BT with the Intel Ax200 chip based card. (Asus Ax3000)

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 5.25.24 PM.png

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
excellent work. bump away, you've earned it.

AFAIK the 15-port USB limit is per controller so it is pretty much irrelevant for AMD systems as there are multiple controllers to spread the USB ports around.

I may use your USB map as the one I borrowed from @overnight1 is a little wonkly. while i'm happy to report that my system wakes when propmpted, the fans and the RGB on my 6950XT never power down. in the meantime, it looks like after waking up both ethernet NICs are down. which is not cool! so I need to troubleshoot this wake from sleep issue a bit more.

also, I'm a nerd and like to compare Config.plists

my replacement X670E Pro Art shipped with BIOS 0805 and I see no reason to update. this is the same BIOS I used when building my X670E Hero last year!

did you have to do any patching to get Realtek audio to work?

I already moved the Creator build to its final home as my home theater PC so I am using the HDMI port on my 6950XT for sound output, but even after adding AppleALCU.kext to my config.plist my sound output options still look like this:
Screen Shot 2023-10-19 at 11.24.52 PM.png
Still, there is nothing plugged into the "lime" line out audio jack of my mobo currently so that may be why nothinig is showing.

UPDATE: I moved the Creator build back to my test bench last night to finalize the build (add fans, RAM, GPU Bracket and RGB cable for teh GPU) and I plugged a speaker into the "lime" audio jack but nothing happened. the X670E Creator needs patching to get its USB audio to work with MacOS.

Am I using the wrong Audio kext? my 670E Hero build had Realtek Audio output from the lime audio jack without any patching or kext.

your help is most welcome!

Last edited:

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member
Congrats! I'm glad to see Sonoma is working for you. I'd been holding off on upgrading, since the last time I checked in a while ago there were some concerns about wifi/bluetooth not working with broadcom chips... I've since swapped to an intel based wireless setup like you so I may go ahead and update!

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Congrats! I'm glad to see Sonoma is working for you. I'd been holding off on upgrading, since the last time I checked in a while ago there were some concerns about wifi/bluetooth not working with broadcom chips... I've since swapped to an intel based wireless setup like you so I may go ahead and update!

not to burst yr bubble but i'm still running Monterey 12.7

I added a 2 TB Samsung 990 NVME and I may install the final version of Ventura that supports the Fenvi T919,, ( for me, a mac is not a mac if I can't take advantage of hand off and air drop b/c I am constalltly sending pics and files from my iPhone to my Macs nusing Airdop..)

I can dual boot Ventura and Monterey so see whuch I prefer...

and.. I love a challenge.

something else I noticed.. when I enable the onboard BT in the Creator BIOS I loose both Intel 2.5 gig ethernet and Aquantia 10 gig ethernet... I have a feeling they are somehow rekated.

BT is important for me b/c as this is a home theater PC, I need BT to connect my Magic Keyboard and my Mighty Mouse.

I do have a working Lenovo TrackPoint keyboard that looks like the Thinkpad keyboard with the red dot mouse for use in Windows.. and that includes a USB dongle... but I like to type and scroll with Mac accessories when I am using MacOS. so I use the Lenove KB as a backup when the BT gets wonky.

the last thing I am missing is sleep and wake. but as a desktop PC it is not the end of the world to not have this. I am using yr USB map for which I thank you, it has given me power off and wake but I don't thing my hackintosh is actually sleeping.

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
( for me, a mac is not a mac if I can't take advantage of hand off and air drop b/c I am constalltly sending pics and files from my iPhone to my Macs nusing Airdop..)
Also in macOS Sonoma is possible if you trust to use OCLP app (it works as it worked in macOS Ventura)

ovenlite1

AMD OS X Member

I added a 2 TB Samsung 990 NVME and I may install the final version of Ventura that supports the Fenvi T919,, ( for me, a mac is not a mac if I can't take advantage of hand off and air drop b/c I am constalltly sending pics and files from my iPhone to my Macs nusing Airdop..)

something else I noticed.. when I enable the onboard BT in the Creator BIOS I loose both Intel 2.5 gig ethernet and Aquantia 10 gig ethernet... I have a feeling they are somehow rekated.

BT is important for me b/c as this is a home theater PC, I need BT to connect my Magic Keyboard and my Mighty Mouse.

I do have a working Lenovo TrackPoint keyboard that looks like the Thinkpad keyboard with the red dot mouse for use in Windows.. and that includes a USB dongle... but I like to type and scroll with Mac accessories when I am using MacOS. so I use the Lenove KB as a backup when the BT gets wonky.

the last thing I am missing is sleep and wake. but as a desktop PC it is not the end of the world to not have this. I am using yr USB map for which I thank you, it has given me power off and wake but I don't thing my hackintosh is actually sleeping.
Ha sorry, should’ve specified I was referring to drmeatball’s Sonoma machine!

drmeatball

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
excellent work. bunp away, you've earned it.

AFAIK the 15-port USB limit is per controller so it is pretty much irrelevant for AMD systems as there are multiple controllers to spread the USB ports around.

I may use your USB map as the one I borrowed from @overnight1 is a little wonkly. while i'm happy to report that my system wakes when propmpted, the fans and the RGB on my 6950XT never power down. in the meantime, it looks like after waking up both ethernet NICs are down. which is not cool! so I need to troubleshoot this wake from sleep issue a bit more.

also, I'm a nerd and like to compare Config.plists

my replacement X670E Pro Art shipped with BIOS 0805 and I see no reason to update. this is the same BIOS I used when building my X670E Hero last year!

did you have to do any patching to get Realtek audio to work?

I already moved the Creator build to its final home as my home theater PC so I am using the HDMI port on my 6950XT for sound output, but even after adding AppleALCU.kext to my config.plist my sound output options still look like this:
View attachment 12163
Still, there is nothing plugged into the "lime" line out audio jack of my mobo currently so that may be why nothinig is showing.

Am I using the wrong Audio kext? my 670E Hero build had Realtek Audio output from the lime audio jack without any patching or kext.

your help is most welcome!

TYTY! Unfortunately I don't use the Realtek? onboard audio.. all of my sound gear is external over USB or Thunderbolt), but I have seen other ProArt builds where the onboard audio works. If I get a free moment I'll play with it, I would love to have onboard optical out working (if it's even doable).

IIRC x670e Hero has the 4082 chipset which is essentially Realtek wrapped in USB - appears as a usb device therefore much easier with Mac.

drmeatball

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

No major OS issues yet! The only thing I really had to figure out was the updated AMD patches (I had a few missing from Ventura -> Sonoma) and the jump to 0.9.5 OC, otherwise very straightforward. I had hosed my system for a few days flashing to bios 1710 but once that was recovered (MBR flash disk, GPT doesn't work :D) I figured I'd take the plunge.

Ty again for your system and good luck!!

drmeatball

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member

RE Sleep.. turn off Power Nap and it should work (fingers crossed, it works for me), but there seems to be some sort of sync issue with Power Nap setting on where the system wakes back up almost instantly.. then sleeps.. then wakes up.. etc. Personally I keep my machine awake all the time for Discord purposes so I never investigated that much.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
turn off Power Nap and it should work

I am not using power nap..

interestingly on my X670E Hero with functuonig sleep and wake, when I get a phone call on my iPhone (which is linked to all my nearby Apple devices) it will wake from sleep even tho when my HT is off it cannot ring.. my (real) iMac Pro and M1 MBA will also ring when I get a call.

i'm having a lot of fun with this X670E Creator as my HTPC but as the rear facing USB ports are all hard to access, I may forego maping the USB ports for the time being,

my next challenge is to insall Ventura and get Broadcom (Fenvi T919) working.

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
IRC x670e Hero has the 4082 chipset which is essentially Realtek wrapped in USB - appears as a usb device therefore much easier with Mac.

I need to see what the Device ID is for the onboard Audio of my X570 Creator which had onboard audio in Monterey and Ventura out of the box, but yes.. the X670E Hero and X670E Creator are using different audo Codecs unfortunately,

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Also in macOS Sonoma is possible if you trust to use OCLP app (it works as it worked in macOS Ventura

@CaseySJ mentioned that he used your tutorial to get OCLP to get working Fenvi WiFi in sanoma...can you repost your tutorial here?

meanwhile...

I tried installing Sanoma earlier tonight on my 2 gig Samsung NVME and it did not go well...

I ended up losing all networking (Wifi, 2.5 Intel ethernet, and 10 gig Aquantia ethernet) on my Minetery NVME. which was suppoed to be untouched...

I'm not sure what fixewd it, but several reboots, reset NVRAM, and load optimized defaults in my BIOS later.... (not in that order) and Monterey is back in businness....

the reason why I use different NVMEs is so that previous installs of MacOS are not effected..

but I'm perplexed....

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ mentioned that he used your tutorial to get OCLP to get working Fenvi WiFi in sanoma...can you repost your tutorial here?
you can read here without the need to register as a user (as a guest)

Galve2000

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The only thing I really had to figure out was the updated AMD patches (I had a few missing from Ventura -> Sonoma)

I tried to install Sanoma on a separate 2 TB NVME and mearly hosed my entire X670E Creator build.. i am running OC 0.95, but what AMD Patches am I missing from Ventura -> Samoma??

as a reminder, I am still running Montery 12.7 and have not tried Venura on this build.

following a reboot, i lost all networking devices on y Monterey build. (This includes intel 225i, Aquantia 10 gig, and Fenvi Broadcom wifi) Fenvi BT continued to work as normal on my Monterey build on a separate NVME.

it took several rooboots, load optimzed BIOS settings, Reset NVRAM to get my system to boot up with networking working again. although none of the networking devices were shown in Hackintool Peripherals, they did show up in System Profiler but I had no access to internet whatsoever and wifi icon was greyed out with an excemation point.

Also, during one of said reboots my system froze while loading something to do with networking, I believe it to be the Fenvi WiFi but I cannot be sure.

That was the second to last reboot before one final reboot brought my Monterey build back to full working order.

any idea what is happening here?

why would installing Sanoma on a separate NVME mess with settings from a separate Monterey NVME?

the EFI folder I used to boot into Sonoma was the EFI from my Monterey build which is already OC 0.95.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.