Asus RX6800 OC only supporting a single display

Steen

AMD OS X Member
I’m stumped…

I recently upgraded from a radeon Sapphire RX580 to a Asus RX6800 OC and running a fresh Big Sur from Catalina. It was very straightforward due to Shaneee’ fabulous post using the same video card describing the proper boot-arg=ignore.

Both displays are HDMI only so I use a DP>HDMI converter on the second monitor.

Again, the issue I’m having is MacOS only displays to one monitor, the HDMI. Both worked with my old RX 580; both HDMI>HDMI.

I have dual 1080p monitors working flawlessly under both Linux and Windoze with the RX6800. I’ve swapped cables, inputs, and a second adapter converting DP > HDMI. I’m 100% confident in the hardware.

Here’s the weird part: The MacOS boot screen comes up initially on the DP>HDMI monitor, then after that it switches to the HDMI monitor and only sees that from then on.

I’ve mangled my config.plist so many times my notes don’t make sense anymore…. LOL.

Maybe a BIOS FUBAR?

I’ve gotten to the point where I need another pair of more experienced eyes on this.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would very much appreciate it.

Cheers!

Asus Tuf B550 Plus, 5800x, Asus RX6800 OC [AMD (0x1002)] 0x73bf

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 11

mariettosun

Guru
Guru
AMD OS X Member
@Steen your EFI has very old kexts
Have you tried to update them?
i do not use ignore as bootarg but pikera, i think is not there your problem

Steen

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll update and report back.

I did try boot-arg=pikera at first but it did not work (black screen after initial boot).

Cheers!

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
If you have a B550 motherboard you can try and have a look at my build here > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-5900x-rx550-samsung-1tb-970-evo-plus.319781/

I have a config file for the RX6800 in the EFI there you could try. The boot-arg to use is agdpmod=pikera but also you need to have the device properties added for the card as otherwise it may not work. Also try to plug the monitor cable into the 2nd HDMI port and be prepared to wait about 20-30 seconds after the Apple boot screen goes away as it takes a while to initialise the RX6800. This is an issue many of us have found when using this card (across various brands).

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try this OC EFI based on OC 0.9.4 that I use on my Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus/R5 5600g/Vega 56 system.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 18.05.03.png Finder view of your current EFI folder

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 18.05.12.png Finder view of the revised EFI folder.

The revised EFI has been adapted to match your 8-core CPU and Big Navi dGPU.

Copy the revised EFI folder to the EFI partition on a spare USB pen drive, and then boot from the pen drive to test the EFI.

You will need to use the ResetNvramEntry.efi option before you boot with this revised OC setup.
  • Simply boot from the USB pen drive, and press the Spacebar when you arrive on the OC boot screen (GUI),
    • This will unhide the tools and drivers contained in the new OC setup.
  • Select the ResetNvramEntry.efi and the system should automatically reboot.
  • Select your USB pen drive from the system Boot Menu again, and
    • This time boot in to the macOS Ventura installer using the revised EFI.
Let us know how you get on with this revised EFI.

Attachments

• EFI-0.9.4.zip
    11.3 MB · Views: 8

Steen

AMD OS X Member
Much thanks to everyone for their support. I very much appreciate it. I haven't had a chance until today to work on this.

@Middleman. I followed your link, but tonymac has me blocked. Probably for my use of a VPN.

@Edhawk. Thanks for posting the EFI. I'll have a look, build a new efi, and try as you instructed. I'm on Big Sur so I'm hoping it works. I'll check the version argument.

I did try the NVRAM reset, but for whatever reason there are no options for me after pressing spacebar. Is there a special add-on for this?

Thanks again!

Steen

AMD OS X Member
OC: Failed to bootstrap SB VRAM values - Invalid parameter
Halting on critical error

I picked the Ventura Installer USB Sata drive from bios and the error pops up immediately. No OC boot manu, no chance to press spacebar to reset. I did try spaming spacebar quickly with no luck.

Would adding the resetnvramentry.efi to my current OC EFI Big Sur, fresh snapshot, then reset nvram, fix thiis? I've not encountered this error before.

Cheers!

EDIT: I forgot to include that I used @Edhawk posted EFI-0.9.4

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Pressing the spacebar will only show the drivers and tools that were included in their respective folders AND correctly added to the config.plist. If they aren't present in both locations, then none will show on the boot screen.

Yes, adding ResetNvramEntry.efi to the /EFI/OC/Drivers folder and running a cleansnapshot with ProperTree would fix the empty Auxiliary options on the boot screen. No it won't fix the kernel panic error.

To fix the OC: Failed to bootstrap SB VRAM values - Invalid parameter error, change SecureBootModel from Default to Disabled in the config.plist.

Attached EFI should contain a number of drivers/tools that appear on the OC boot screen, when the Spacebar is pressed.

SecureBootModel changed to disabled.

See if this EFI-094-v2 helps.

Attachments

• EFI-094-v2.zip
    11.3 MB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.