Asus Rog Strix TRX40

Ejh4286

AMD OS X Member
Would anybody out there have a working EFI for the Asus Rog Strix TRX40 that works with Monterey? I have OC 0.7.4 working with Big Sur but it wont upgrade to Monterey. TIA.

Ejh4286

AMD OS X Member
After hard trying im using
Sabrent Rocket Q4 2TB gen 4

None working here with me:
INTEL SSDPEKNW020T8
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB
Sabrent 512 GB gen 3
Corsair MP510 256 gen3

and one of my ASmedia USB type C and one HUB relaterd to Etherenet i211+Marvell 10g is down on monterey I can't get them to work with mapping again .
Would you be so kind to share your EFI folder? Thank you.

ddk

AMD OS X Member
Would you be so kind to share your EFI folder? Thank you.
Yes sure, this is OC 0.7.7 or OC 0.7.8 I don't remmember I was very busy in the last few days.

Attachments

• EFI (2).zip
    11.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

ddk

AMD OS X Member
Did you change SMBIOS when you installed Monterey? Check the USBMap.kext/Contents/info.plist uses the same system definition as your config.plist.
I changed the SMBIOS nothing changes, I couldn't find USBMap.kext for ASUS rog zenyth 2 extreme trx40 it has different USB HUB then another Asus Rog trx40, I even made mapping myself reading USB from DSDT but nothing changes .
Most likely Monterey dropped somekind of USB
here is mine
External (SB.PCI0.D0B8.XHC0.RHUB, DeviceObj)
External (SB.S0D1.D1B8.XHC0, DeviceObj)
External (SB.S0D1.D1B1.XHCI.RHUB, DeviceObj)
External (SB.S0D2.D2A0.BYUP.BYD8, DeviceObj)
External (SB.S0D2.D2A0.BYUP.BYD8.XHC0, DeviceObj)
External (SB.S0D2.D2A0.BYUP.BYD8.XHC1, DeviceObj)

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru

ddk

AMD OS X Member
Have you tried to follow the USB port mapping guide on the Dortania Github site?

Follow the AMD pathway.
I did that since BigSue 11 to latest all my USB working but not on Monterey ,
Front USB all working fine:
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 front panel connectors
- 2 x Type-C
4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1
3 x USB 2.0 -> internal

The back panel most of them working , the interesting thing is those internal USBs related to WiFi/Etherenet/Marvell 10g/Bluetooth are the only once who not working I think Apple droped them on purpes .
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2x2
7 x USB 3.2 Gen 2
- 6 x Type-A + 1 x Type-C
4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1
- 4 x Type-A

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
If you did it correctly in Big Sur, then it should work the same in Monterey.

Post a copy of the USBPorts.kext, USBMap.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml you are using, so we can see if anything looks amiss.

Can you clarify what exactly is not working in your Monterey system? USB ports, Ethernet controller, Bluetooth, WiFi?

Provide a copy of your IOReg, so I can see what devices are present and active in your system. Use the version of IORegistryExplorer attached below.

How to Make a Copy of IOReg (Note 1)
1. IORegistryExplorer/File/Save a Copy As…. (no extension required)
2. Open file to verify (Note 2)
3. Attach to post (Note 3)

Installation
1, Open Downloads/IORegistryExplorer-SLRID_v10.6.3
2. Drag IORegistryExplorer to Applications

Notes
1. An IOReg.txt is not useful. It is not a "Copy of IOReg." Do not attach .txt files.
2. IOReg must open the file. If TextEdit opens, See Note 1.

Attachments

• IORegistryExplorer-SLRID_v10.6.3.zip
    272.8 KB · Views: 3

ddk

AMD OS X Member
If you did it correctly in Big Sur, then it should work the same in Monterey.

Post a copy of the USBPorts.kext, USBMap.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml you are using, so we can see if anything looks amiss.

Can you clarify what exactly is not working in your Monterey system? USB ports, Ethernet controller, Bluetooth, WiFi?

Provide a copy of your IOReg, so I can see what devices are present and active in your system. Use the version of IORegistryExplorer attached below.

How to Make a Copy of IOReg (Note 1)
1. IORegistryExplorer/File/Save a Copy As…. (no extension required)
2. Open file to verify (Note 2)
3. Attach to post (Note 3)

Installation
1, Open Downloads/IORegistryExplorer-SLRID_v10.6.3
2. Drag IORegistryExplorer to Applications

Notes
1. An IOReg.txt is not useful. It is not a "Copy of IOReg." Do not attach .txt files.
2. IOReg must open the file. If TextEdit opens, See Note 1.
Thank you,
I attached ths files,
Not detected in Monterey "Ethernet controllers, Bluetooth, WiFi, onboard audio" and USB bower problem in 2 of USB type C in front panel , all are marked with red color in screenshot.

Attachments

• files.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@ddk So to set things straight:
You have an Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme motherboard, NOT an Asus ROG Strix TRX40 motherboard, yes?

The Intel i211-AT Ethernet controller is known to be problematic when running MacOS Monterey as the IntelSmallTrees driver, which worked in Big Sur, doesn't work in Monterey. Some people have been fortunate to find that their i211-AT Ethernet ports work with a recent beta of AppleIGB.kext - see attached kext. Remember you need to add an entry for the kext in your config.plist, as well as adding the kext to the /OC/Kexts folder.

For your Aquantia 10GBe port you need to use a modified kext patch when running macOS Monterey. The screenshot below shows two versions of the kext patch for the Aquantia 10GBe controller. Patch 0 is for Big Sur, Patch 1 is for Monterey.

Screenshot 2022-03-13 at 19.54.50.png Aquantia 10GBe OC Kernel/Kext patches

Copy of the patches are to be found in the AquantiaAqtionPatches.plist below.

Your Intel WiFi if supported, requires you to install Itlwm.kext or Airportitlwm.kext. One or the other not both kexts. The kext needs to be installed to your /OC/Kexts folder and a corresponding entry added to your config.plist for the kext to work.

The Itlwm.kext and Airportitlwm kext for Monterey are attached below.

Your Bluetooth if supported, requires that you follow these instructions for Monterey:

Screenshot 2022-03-13 at 20.03.18.png

Copies of the IntelBluetoothFirmware and BcrmPatchRam folders are attached below. Use the kexts as instructed above.

Your Realtek ALC1220 Audio codec should work with the addition of AppleALC.kext to your /OC/Kexts folder plist the corresponding entry in your config.plist.
What is also required is the addition of a compatible layout-id in the config.plist.

The Realtek ALC1220 can be successfully enabled using one of these layout-ids - 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 21, 27, 28, 29, 30, 34, 35, 98, 99, 100 - depending on how the system manufacturer has implemented the Audio codec.

You will need to try each and every one of the many id's listed above, till you find one that works with your system. There is no shortcut for this as it requires you to do the following:
  1. Mount the EFI partition where your EFI folder is located.
  2. Open the config.plist with ProperTree or another Plist Editor.
  3. Navigate to the Nvram > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > boot-args entry and add alcid=x, where x equates to one of the layout id's listed above.
  4. Save the change to the config.plist.
  5. Reboot your system
  6. When you arrive on the OC boot screen or Picker list, press the spacebar to show the hidden tools.
  7. Select the ClearNvram.efi tool
  8. Select the ResetSystem.efi tool, the system should reboot.
  9. Boot Monterey from the OC Boot Screen or Picker List.
  10. Navigate to the system Preferences > Sound > Output tab, does your Audio Output show as being selectable?
  11. If yes,
    1. Select the Line Out/Speakers option. Usually the speakers are connected to the Green Audio Jack on the rear I/O plate.
    2. Navigate to the System Preferences > Sound > Sound Effects tab, elect your speakers from the dropdown list below the main window with the various sound effects.
    3. Select a couple of sound effects, do they play correctly, Yes Great you should have a working Audio codec.
  12. If No, You need to use a different layout-id in the boot argument alcid=x.
You need to keep doing this with each Layout ID until you find one that works.

Do not fail to use the ClearNvram.efi and ResetSystem.efi tools. You should use these two tools when ever you make a change to your config.plist, so the old settings are removed from the system Nvram. Otherwise you could end up using the same layout id, not the replacement id.

I think that is enough from me. Over to you to implement these actions.

Attachments

• AppleIGB-RELEASE.kext.zip
    62.6 KB · Views: 4
  • AquantiaAqtionPatches.plist.zip
    997 bytes · Views: 6
  • AirportItlwm_v2.1.0_stable_Monterey.kext.zip
    14.7 MB · Views: 4
  • BrcmPatchRAM-2.6.1-RELEASE.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 3
  • itlwm_v2.1.0_stable.kext.zip
    14.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IntelBluetoothFirmware-v2.1.0.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: ddk

cleverhome

AMD OS X Member
Hi guys,
Mine:
CPU : AMD Ryzen 3960X
GPU : AMD RX5700 XT
MotherBoard : ASUS Zenith Extreme II (TRx40)
RAM : 128GB Corsair
SSD : Samsung 960, 970, 980 Pro 1TB

I've facing a really weird problem, my EFI (attached) is working well with BigSur, even iMess, AirDrop, Handoff, SideCar..
I used that EFI to install Monterey, the OS can be installed, but
- no wifi, BT, ethernet can be detected (nothing, except the GPU and CPU shown correctly)

- I had 3 SSDs (SS960, 970, 980 Pro), Monterey see only SS980 (as same as when start installing)
I spent weeks, but still...living in the Spain without the "s" now.
Can some one have a look into my EFI and tell me what's my guilty.
Any helps would be much thanked and appreciated.
Thanks,

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    12.2 MB · Views: 4

ddk

AMD OS X Member
Hi guys,
Mine:
CPU : AMD Ryzen 3960X
GPU : AMD RX5700 XT
MotherBoard : ASUS Zenith Extreme II (TRx40)
RAM : 128GB Corsair
SSD : Samsung 960, 970, 980 Pro 1TB

I've facing a really weird problem, my EFI (attached) is working well with BigSur, even iMess, AirDrop, Handoff, SideCar..
I used that EFI to install Monterey, the OS can be installed, but
- no wifi, BT, ethernet can be detected (nothing, except the GPU and CPU shown correctly)

- I had 3 SSDs (SS960, 970, 980 Pro), Monterey see only SS980 (as same as when start installing)
I spent weeks, but still...living in the Spain without the "s" now.
Can some one have a look into my EFI and tell me what's my guilty.
Any helps would be much thanked and appreciated.
Thanks,

Yes as you can see my post above I've lost everything in Monterey except a couple of USB hub and CPU/GPU ,
we back to stone age lol,
don't bother searching for solution, I've been searching for 4 weeks nothing, just wait at least 6 months and then search again.
In short words Hackintosh age is almost dead, I went to OSX-KVM week ago, im happy with it.

I have 1 monitor with dual DP input with remote control
2 GPUs one of them passthrough
I use Ubuntu and Monterey at the same time on the same Monitor .

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Alternatively, run Big Sur instead of Monterey. You don't have any components listed that limit you from running Big Sur.

Apple have made a number of changes to their OS with the release of Monterey. A number of them are still awaiting fixes, if the fixes are even possible.

So while there are some issues, I would refute the statement the Hackintosh is 'almost dead'.

Admittedly there are some issues, especially with AMD systems, that can't or haven't been fixed yet.

ddk

AMD OS X Member
With collecting some info we can provide a future look.
Monterey first Beta release was 01/07/2021 around 8 months ago and there is no even sign of fixes in progress.
NVMeFix is discontinued since 05/jul/2021
SmallTreeIntel82576 is discontinued since Apr 16, 2020
BrcmPatchRAM never works for me on Monterey, no update since 01/nov/2021
AirportBrcmFixup never works for me on Monterey, no update since 07/feb/2022
Asmedia 3242 USB and USB mapping solution never works for me me on Monterey
As many more discontinued features .

If hackintosh needs 1 year to be supported that can be called at least half past dead.
No offence.

cleverhome

AMD OS X Member
It's good to know, so I will stop seeking for now.
But one thing very weird that I use Fenvi T919 wifi adapter (known as Apple native wifi card), also death.
Thanks so much guys for the help.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@ddk Simple solution would be to use devices that are natively supported by macOS.

That has always been an issue with hackintosh systems, the further away from a native Apple setup you go the harder the task to get the system working 100%. The same issues were faced when people were creating hack's with Intel Arrandale, Sandy & Ivy Bridge system's.

That to my mind means the following:
  1. Use an Intel CPU/motherboard combo, to match what Apple use/used previously.
  2. If that's not possible, then use an AMD Ryzen CPU over an old FX-series CPU.
  3. Use an AMD motherboard that has better support, i.e. not an MSI board.
  4. This was the same when using an Intel CPU, MSI motherboards were ones to avoid. Gigabyte and Asus motherboards have always been easier to Hack.
  5. Use a Broadcom WiFi/BT card in place of any built-in Intel WiFi/BT card.
  6. Use an AMD discrete GPU RX470/480 or newer.
  7. If you must use an NVIDIA GPU accept that you are limited to running macOS High Sierra.
  8. In the case of Ethernet controllers, use an add-on PCIe card if your built-in port is not natively supported, or the kext that previously worked no longer does.
  9. Do not rely on third-party kexts for your devices to work, as these have nothing to do with the Apple OS. You may be relying on an individual who no longer develops or supports the kext.
OpenCore has made some great strides over the past two years, taking over from Clover as the bootloader of choice in most cases, especially on older Apple systems that can not natively run the newer versions of macOS.

The most obvious thing to do is to research your system and any peripherals you may have to hand or already installed, to see if they will work with macOS, before looking to hack your system and run macOS. Preferably undertake the research before buying the peripherals.

The fact a kext doesn't work for you doesn't mean the kext doesn't work, when used correctly. Human error is the cause of more issues than anything when it comes to setting up and running a Hackintosh system.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.