[Answered] Monterery CPU Power Management

Pgranix

AMD OS X Member
Just finished upgrading to Monterey after updating OC, etc. It seems, there is a power management issue in Monterey because my processory seems to be throttling higer than usual.

Anyone else experiening this?

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Which version of Monterey are you running and have you enabled any of the AMD power management kexts such as AMDRyzenCPUPowermanagement.kext and SMCAMDProcessor.kext?

Pgranix

AMD OS X Member
I'm on 12.6. Yes, I have the AMD kexts, both are in the my EFI. The AMDRyzenCPUPowermanagement.kext is the 0.7.1 version. I also upgraded to the latest AMD patches as well.

The processor throttles max at awakening from sleep and during startup. Then it tapers down. On non-load use, it will throttle then wind down. Did not experience this while on Big Sur. I was wondering if anyone else experiencing this.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Have you made sure you have set the following entries in your config.plist:

Kernel > Emulate > DummyPowerManagement = True

Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 17.08.37.png

Kernel > Quirks > ProvideCurrentCpuInfo = True

Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 17.09.29.png

As well as including the companion entries in the config.plist for the AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext and SMCAMDProcessor.kext, have you installed the AMDPowerGadget application?

Pgranix

AMD OS X Member
ProviderCurrentCpuInfo was missing in my config.plist. I had it in my Big Sur config.plist. All the other things I elements I had in my Big Sur EFI and were updated before updating to Monterey. A new checklist item I need to be made aware of before updating on a Ryzentosh.

Edhawk, once again...THANKS!

Pgranix

AMD OS X Member
Still the same:
Everything is there now. I still have max throttling at bootup/login but throttles after a couple of minutes and when I open up my mail app or deleting files to the bin it throttles up. It didn't seem like this in Big Sur.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

Last edited:

craighazan

Donator
Donator
I'm on 12.6. Yes, I have the AMD kexts, both are in the my EFI. The AMDRyzenCPUPowermanagement.kext is the 0.7.1 version. I also upgraded to the latest AMD patches as well.

The processor throttles max at awakening from sleep and during startup. Then it tapers down. On non-load use, it will throttle then wind down. Did not experience this while on Big Sur. I was wondering if anyone else experiencing this.
I was having a similar problem with an earlier version of Ventura, I found the the AMD Power Gadget was causing the processor to work harder that normal and getting hot. Quitting The App seemed to calm it down, I used Sensei instead for a while. With the last two version of Ventura Beta, AMD Power Gadget seemed to working normally, not getting hot or over working. It could simply be the version of Monterey, as you said it wasn't happening in Big Sur.

Pgranix

AMD OS X Member
I was having a similar problem with an earlier version of Ventura, I found the the AMD Power Gadget was causing the processor to work harder that normal and getting hot. Quitting The App seemed to calm it down, I used Sensei instead for a while. With the last two version of Ventura Beta, AMD Power Gadget seemed to working normally, not getting hot or over working. It could simply be the version of Monterey, as you said it wasn't happening in Big Sur.
I hardly use AMD Power Gadget so I cannot reference to that. However, I agree with you that the newer versions of MacOS, will cause some issues, some fine details maybe off. The older iterations of MacOS were more ubiquitous, more support, more diagnoses more fixes. IMHO. The power management is working, without a doubt, just needs some fine tuning.

I'll try Sensei. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.