Asus X670E Gene EFI -- Adaptable to Other X670, X670E, B650 and B650E Boards

suur13

AMD OS X Member
I have run now my rig 2 days w/o crash from Samsung drive (Crucial still on machine tough and has booting EFI on it). Looks good. Maybe that was the issue.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Check the version of macOS you are looking to install, as your RX 6650 XT is only supported from macOS Monterey 12.2.

Check which SMBIOS you are using, does it support the version of macOS you are looking to install? MacPro7,1 only supported from Catalina 10.15.1.

If you are looking to install macOS Catalina or earlier, check you have the correct UEFI > APFS > MinDate & MinVersion entries in your config.plist for the version of macOS you are installing.

Then read the first two questions again!

You may need to set the Misc > Security > SecureBootModel as Disabled instead of Default in your config.plist.

You could also have a borked USB macOS installer, but that is the least likely cause.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Yes, I can get to the picker. It is after I select the dmg the error message occurs. The error message is "OCB: LoadImage Failed - Unspported".
When you say "select the dmg" do you really mean "select Install macOS <name>"? You should see a boot option called Install macOS followed but the name such as Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma.

Tek-Chief

AMD OS X Member
When you say "select the dmg" do you really mean "select Install macOS <name>"? You should see a boot option called Install macOS followed but the name such as Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura, Sonoma.
No it shows as Opencore.dmg. I have the recovery image in the folder called com.apple.recovery.boot .

Tek-Chief

AMD OS X Member
Check the version of macOS you are looking to install, as your RX 6650 XT is only supported from macOS Monterey 12.2.

Check which SMBIOS you are using, does it support the version of macOS you are looking to install? MacPro7,1 only supported from Catalina 10.15.1.

If you are looking to install macOS Catalina or earlier, check you have the correct UEFI > APFS > MinDate & MinVersion entries in your config.plist for the version of macOS you are installing.

Then read the first two questions again!

You may need to set the Misc > Security > SecureBootModel as Disabled instead of Default in your config.plist.

You could also have a borked USB macOS installer, but that is the least likely cause.
1: I've every macOS from Catalina forward. I've tried all of them from Monterey forward with my graphic combo. Same results. 2: I'm using MacPro7,1 in my SMBIOS. 3. Not applicable. 4. SecureBootModel is disabled. I don't know what I changed to make this happen. I had it getting me all the way to the installer previously. I was working to enable the I-225V LAN so I could continue the install. By the time I discovered it is supposed to be natively supported, I started having this issue when I tried to install Sonoma with incorrect kext for the I-225V included. I'm documenting more clearly now what I change to resolve this current problem.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
No it shows as Opencore.dmg. I have the recovery image in the folder called com.apple.recovery.boot .
Consider building a new USB install disk by going through STEP 1 and STEP 2 from one of my other build guides:

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 3.40.27 PM.png

Your existing OpenCore EFI folder can then be copied to the EFI partition of that USB flash disk.

Then boot from the USB flash disk and see if you get an option to Install macOS ...

Tek-Chief

AMD OS X Member
So, I had two issues going. I don't know if one was causing an issue. I had two USB drives I was working with active at the same time. I removed one of them. I then reformatted the USB and copied everything back over. I now have some error logs that are somewhat helpful. Before the "OCB: LoadImage failed - Unsupported" error I now have the following. DMG trailer error: 1 - 1246FA81/1246FC81 - 796C6F6B/7B96B1A2 | Failed to initialise DMG context | Failed to initialise DMG from file. Full log attached.

Attachments

• opencore-2024-02-23-191229.txt
    256 KB · Views: 5

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
So, I had two issues going. I don't know if one was causing an issue. I had two USB drives I was working with active at the same time. I removed one of them. I then reformatted the USB and copied everything back over. I now have some error logs that are somewhat helpful. Before the "OCB: LoadImage failed - Unsupported" error I now have the following. DMG trailer error: 1 - 1246FA81/1246FC81 - 796C6F6B/7B96B1A2 | Failed to initialise DMG context | Failed to initialise DMG from file. Full log attached.
Was this USB install disk created by following STEP 1 and STEP 2, or some other method?

Because I’m not familiar with other methods, I am at a loss to help troubleshoot those methods.

Tek-Chief

AMD OS X Member
Was this USB install disk created by following STEP 1 and STEP 2, or some other method?

Because I’m not familiar with other methods, I am at a loss to help troubleshoot those methods.
The were both created with the windows method. I used Rufus 4.4. More progress to report. I redownloaded Ventura with macrecovery utility - some success. We are passed the LoadImage error. Current error in log.

Attachments

• opencore-2024-02-23-194908.txt
    256 KB · Views: 1

unforsaken

AMD OS X Member
I may try the new BIOS version and patched DSDT soon.

Are you completely dropping the existing DSDT and applying the patched one? We do need to drop the existing one completely.
I'm only adding the patched DSDT into OC ACPI/Add. And then apply the RebaseRegions quirk.

Do you mean dropping the exiting DSDT by adding it to the ACPI/Delete section? If so, not sure about which values go there, yet. 🥲

1708758739225.png

1708758963446.png

OC Debug Log:
05:590 00:034 OCA: Detected DSDT at 74464000 of 71028 bytes at index 0

Yet without any other modification other than adding the patched DSDT and enabling the RebaseRegions quirk, I can see this in the log as well:
15:980 00:041 OCA: Replaced DSDT of 69496 bytes into ACPI
16:173 00:193 OCA: Allocated new table DSDT at 75D7F000

I'm curious though, the TableSignature field expects hex input so no string (DSDT) can be used here. So I tried using the length (71028) detected by OC as the TableLength entry, sadly, it didn't work as it didn't find it.
00:037 OC: Failed to drop ACPI 00000000 0000000000000000 71028 (1) - Not Found

Probably shouldn't be messing with it too much... oh the curiosity...

Last edited:

andyxm715

AMD OS X Member
@CaseySJ
Used your write up for 10G Ethernet, just upgraded my network to 10G and installed a TP-Link TX401 card and everything working great.
Many Thanks for taking the time to do a write up on what to do. (y)

Tek-Chief

AMD OS X Member
Posted update. I was finally able to get Ventura installed with the help of @Kubokun. I used the first EFI he sent me (a pretty stripped down one) and a full Ventura install iso he sent me as well - Much thanks K! I finally received in an Intell AX210 wifi card that I swapped out from the B650i Ultra that came shipped in v1.0 boards. They actually used this card in the V1.1 boards before changing it again in the v1.2 boards. Right now I'm at the just installed point. I'll start working the post install steps tomorrow as time permits. Thank you to all who have helped get me this far @CaseySJ, @Kubokun, @Edhawk (for pointing me in the right direction from the start).

I also have a topic over at https://forum.amd-osx.com/threads/apple-startup-security-utility.4995/ if any of the experts have some knowledge they can lend.

Tek-Chief

AMD OS X Member
Posted update. I was finally able to get Ventura installed with the help of @Kubokun. I used the first EFI he sent me (a pretty stripped down one) and a full Ventura install iso he sent me as well - Much thanks K! I finally received in an Intel AX210 wifi card that I swapped out from the B650i Ultra that came shipped in v1.0 boards. They actually used this card in the V1.1 boards before changing it again in the v1.2 boards. Right now I'm at the just installed point. I'll start working the post install steps tomorrow as time permits. Thank you to all who have helped get me this far @CaseySJ, @Kubokun, @Edhawk (for pointing me in the right direction from the start).

I also have a topic over at https://forum.amd-osx.com/threads/apple-startup-security-utility.4995/ if any of the experts have some knowledge they can lend.
My apologies to you @leesurone for leaving out a hat tip for you as well.

Sapar

AMD OS X Member
Thank you so much Lorys89, providing the Patched - DSDT.aml for x670e gene distribution.
I am currently using BIOS 1709 with Sonoma 14.4.
The ASUS BIOS has been updated from 1709 to 1905. Can I proceed to update to 1905 using the DSDT from 1709 as is?

ROG CROSSHAIR X670E GENE BIOS 1905
11.51 MB 2024/02/07
Disable STAPM of AM5 Ryzen™ 8000 processors to improve system performance.

11.51 MB 2024/01/30
"1. Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.1.0.2b
2. Improve system stability

11.5 MB 2023/12/15
"1.Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.1.0.1
2.Improve system stability
3.This update includes the patch for the LogoFAIL vulnerabilities.
4.Support graphics card with M.2 storage

suur13

AMD OS X Member
I have run now my rig 2 days w/o crash from Samsung drive (Crucial still on machine tough and has booting EFI on it). Looks good. Maybe that was the issue.
I run now Samsung 980 2 weeks in my machine (Big Sur) and 1 week Adata Swordfish (Sonoma) without single crash. Crucial T700 is still in machine on Gen5 slot and used for EFI/OC and other op. systems. So quite clear take-away - T700 was the cause of it. I will wait for fix/update if that ever comes, so far I will run my Hackintosh from Adata (etc.) drive in parallel.

Thanks for all who helped !

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Don’t expect a ‘fix’ for the problematic NVME/M.2 Controller in the Crucial drives, it won’t happen. Because because Apple doesn’t use those drives and given the new Apple systems have ‘builtin’ drives never will. So a dext/kext that enables their use in macOS isn’t going to happen.

For future reference, Apple do use drives with the SanDisk/WesternDigital NVME Controller, so they are a much better/safer choice for a macOS boot drive.

MaxSkye

AMD OS X Member
Hello. I'm newbee in hackintosh. with poor English. I need help. I got ASRock x670e PG lightning without built-in wifi, but has m.2 slot for wifi card. Unfortunately, I use ASUS PCIe Wifi (Intel ax200). I can run recovery for install , but wifi doesn't work with airport kext 2.2.0 Ventura. what should I do, to work it? I can't use Ethernet. My previous build was MSI x470 gaming max with Ryzen 3700x and Asus wifi card works with airport kext in Mac recovery, and successful installed with it. Thanks for help !

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Have a look at this Success thread, it may point you in the right direction with your system's EFI.

MaxSkye

AMD OS X Member
Have a look at this Success thread, it may point you in the right direction with your system's EFI.

Thanks for answer. But I don't understand. In post he deleted wifi , and use pcie Ethernet card (10 gb). I have Intel ax pcie card and want to work it with airport kext. But I think it don't work because I have m2 slot for wifi and can't disable it in bios. I think I should use some patch for it

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
No, you don't need any patches for the Intel AX200 or AX210 WiFi/BT card.

I use a number of Intel AX200 and AX210 M.2 cards, all I need is Airportitlwm.kext for the WiFi to work. I use the Alpha v2.3.0 kext for Ventura and Sonoma, as I dual boot these two OS's.

Bluetooth requires a number of kexts and the USB port to be active in a custom USB kext.

Here is a screenshot showing the kexts in my /EFI/OC/Kexts folder. Red box around WiFi and Blue boxes around Bluetooth kexts.

Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 20.40.59.png Example of Kexts folder contents for M.2 Intel WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.