Success - Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 / FX 8350 / Nvidia GTX 690 / OC 0.7.6 - Big Sur 11.6.2 & Monterey 12.1

Lime

AMD OS X Member
Try adding the Boot Argument agdpmod=ignore and see if that helps.
Hello Edhawk,

Sorry for my late reply.

The argument boot command: "agdpmod=ignore" doesn't work, it's almost worse because I don't even see the Apple logo before the black screen.

I have done a lot of research and testing. I came to the conclusion that the problem is the acceleration of the graphics card.
If I enter as boot argument the line: "-amd_no_dgpu_accel"
I access the login window, I access the Monterey desktop but it's unusable, the processors are unstable and almost at 100%, the system windows open and close, some applications don't work anymore. I can hardly do anything anymore. No video of course can be played.

With Fx serie, rx 570 and monterey 12.6.1, there is a lot of complexity and compatibility to solve. I spent a lot of time to solve without success
What do you think of this result? A magic idea !

Thank you !! for your help

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Changing the SMBIOS would only be of benefit if you select an Apple System that doesn't require/use an IGPU. When booting the newer releases of macOS this limits you to using the iMacPro1,1, MacPro6,1 (doesn't work in Ventura) and the MacPro7,1 you are currently using.

All the iMac SMBIOS's expect and require an IGPU. Some only have an IGPU. So they would not be a good match for your AMD system, which lacks a compatible IGPU.

Sorry not sure what you mean by do I have an EFI for this system for Mojave. The 0.8.3 OC EFI would work, you just need to edit the UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion entries to match with what macOS Mojave expects. Table below contains the options for High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. Use which ever oldest version of macOS you are using.

MinDate + MinVersion.png MinDate and MinVersion entries required for older versions of macOS using APFS drives.

Printer drivers in macOS can be provided by Apple or the manufacturer. Apple provide a number of 'Generic' printer drivers, which can be installed automatically when you select the Printer in the System Preferences > Printing pane.

Lime

AMD OS X Member
Changing the SMBIOS would only be of benefit if you select an Apple System that doesn't require/use an IGPU. When booting the newer releases of macOS this limits you to using the iMacPro1,1, MacPro6,1 (doesn't work in Ventura) and the MacPro7,1 you are currently using.

All the iMac SMBIOS's expect and require an IGPU. Some only have an IGPU. So they would not be a good match for your AMD system, which lacks a compatible IGPU.

Sorry not sure what you mean by do I have an EFI for this system for Mojave. The 0.8.3 OC EFI would work, you just need to edit the UEFI > APFS > MinDate and MinVersion entries to match with what macOS Mojave expects. Table below contains the options for High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. Use which ever oldest version of macOS you are using.

View attachment 8107 MinDate and MinVersion entries required for older versions of macOS using APFS drives.

Printer drivers in macOS can be provided by Apple or the manufacturer. Apple provide a number of 'Generic' printer drivers, which can be installed automatically when you select the Printer in the System Preferences > Printing pane.
Hello dear Edhawk,

Thank you for the explaination of smbios.
I know for printer driver in System Preferences, but for my Panasonic Pro model doesn't work because he tell me a number of fax before printing! Only the scaner work.

The argument boot command: "agdpmod=ignore" doesn't work, it's almost worse because I don't even see the Apple logo before the black screen.

I have done a lot of research and testing. I came to the conclusion that the problem is the acceleration of the graphics card.
If I enter as boot argument the line: "-amd_no_dgpu_accel" What do you think of this result?
I access the login window, I access the Monterey desktop but it's unusable, the processors are unstable and almost at 100%, the system windows open and close, some applications don't work anymore. I can hardly do anything anymore. No video of course can be played.

With Fx serie, rx 570 and monterey 12.6.1, there is a lot of complexity and compatibility to solve. I spent a lot of time to solve without success

What do you think of this result? Do you have other Boot Args for monterey 12.6.1 ??

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes, the issue is most likely Graphics related, I think it is an issue with initiating the dGPU, rather than graphics acceleration not working. As I have run into the same issue when using an RX 470 8GB dGPU.

The "-amd_no_dgpu_accel" boot argument is pointless, as it will mess up the system, it will not help. It will force the dGPU to be used in VESA (low quality) mode, which is not a good place to be when running macOS on an AMD system.

I am in the process of reinstalling macOS on this system with a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 GPU. I will report back when I have a working EFI for the latest release of Monterey.

Lime

AMD OS X Member
Yes, the issue is most likely Graphics related, I think it is an issue with initiating the dGPU, rather than graphics acceleration not working. As I have run into the same issue when using an RX 470 8GB dGPU.

The "-amd_no_dgpu_accel" boot argument is pointless, as it will mess up the system, it will not help. It will force the dGPU to be used in VESA (low quality) mode, which is not a good place to be when running macOS on an AMD system.

I am in the process of reinstalling macOS on this system with a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 GPU. I will report back when I have a working EFI for the latest release of Monterey.
Hello, for information: no succes with Mojave install with the AFPS change and macpro6. 1 smbios. The same issue after boot, Apple logo and grey screen.
Good Luck for your work!
Have à nice day!

iamdaniel6969

AMD OS X Member
I have been playing around with my old AMD FX 8350 system (again) and decided to see if I could get it running macOS Big Sur.

I used OpenCore 0.7.6 and followed the Dortania AMD Bulldozer guide when creating the EFI folder.

I created my macOS Big Sur USB installer using the following CreateInstallMedia Terminal command:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

Installation was slow, with many pauses and some initial Kernel Panics during the various installation stages. However, the end result was Big Sur 11.6.1 was installed on the old AMD system.

I have attached below a copy of the EFI folder I used, obviously with the Serial Number etc redacted from the config.plist. So you need to add your own if you choose to use this EFI folder. I used the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS, just because, not for any specific reason. You could just as easily select an iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 if you wish.

The screenshot below show the expanded contents for the OC folder:

View attachment 4613 OC folder contents

Here is a screenshot showing the About this Mac window, after updating the system to Big Sur 11.6.2, using the Apple Software Updater method.

View attachment 4615

I will provide another post below, with a number of Bios screenshots, so you can see how I set up my bios.

A further post will contain some more screenshots, showing the components, setup and other information from the FX 8350 system.
Hello, will this work with:
cpu:AMD A4 4020
ram:4 gb ddr3 1600 MHz
gpu:nvidia gt 620 (can get a R7 240)

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The A4-4020 is a part of the Piledriver series of AMD CPU's, i.e. uses the FM2 socket, so there is a chance the EFI in the first post would work with your system. You will need to make a few edits to the config.plist and kexts folder to match the components and CPU core count. Plus you will need to add the UEFI > APFS MinDate and MinVersion entries for High Sierra to work.

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 21.45.14.png Use High Sierra data, using '-1' is not recommended.

You would need to disable the Integrated APU in the bios to have any chance of installing macOS.

You have an entry level CPU with 2-cores and 2-threads, so it isn't going to be that great in macOS. Probably similar to an Intel i3 from 2014 (Haswell).

The GT 620 is a 'Fermi' series card, so it will work in High Sierra but nothing newer. I would use this GPU in the first instance, just while finding out whether the system can run macOS.

# Fermi Rebranded GPU's

The R7 240 is not a natively supported AMD card, as Apple never used a low end GPU like this. However, it can be provided with a fake device-id for an R7 250X for it to work in macOS, up to and including Monterey.

# R7/R9 GPU's

While the R7 240 might work in Monterey the CPU is probably not powerful enough to run the newer versions of macOS without some serious lag. The R7 240 might also struggle, so I would recommend you look to install High Sierra to see how the system behaves, before trying a newer version of macOS.

laurent

AMD OS X Member
I have been playing around with my old AMD FX 8350 system (again) and decided to see if I could get it running macOS Big Sur.

I used OpenCore 0.7.6 and followed the Dortania AMD Bulldozer guide when creating the EFI folder.

I created my macOS Big Sur USB installer using the following CreateInstallMedia Terminal command:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled

Installation was slow, with many pauses and some initial Kernel Panics during the various installation stages. However, the end result was Big Sur 11.6.1 was installed on the old AMD system.

I have attached below a copy of the EFI folder I used, obviously with the Serial Number etc redacted from the config.plist. So you need to add your own if you choose to use this EFI folder. I used the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS, just because, not for any specific reason. You could just as easily select an iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 if you wish.

The screenshot below show the expanded contents for the

Here is a screenshot showing the About this Mac window, after updating the system to Big Sur 11.6.2, using the Apple Software Updater method.

View attachment 4615

I will provide another post below, with a number of Bios screenshots, so you can see how I set up my bios.

A further post will contain some more screenshots, showing the components, setup and other information from the FX 8350 system.
Hello I used your EFI to install Monterey 12.5
On a 970 gigabyte motherboard
Dsp3 and an fx8350 processor
All went well
But I can't patch the NVIDIA GT 710 graphics card
I used open core patcher version 0.4.10 for monterey 12.5
I have deactivated the sip
The problem is that the boot sip is 0x7f
And this corresponds to bigsur
Do you have an idea? Thanks in advance. Good day.

laurent

AMD OS X Member
All went well

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpeg
    IMG_0308.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9

laurent

AMD OS X Member
All went well

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpeg
    IMG_0308.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
There are different levels of SIP, so just because the Terminal command says SIP is disabled doesn't mean it is 'Fully' disabled. You may have it disabled for Kext Signing, but not for anything else.

You need to set csr-active-config to FF0F0000 and SIP will be fully disabled.
An alternative is to use 03080000, which won't disable SIP completely but will be enough for you to use the Nvidia Patcher.

You also need the boot-arg amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1

Just so you know, I personally don't recommend using OpenCore Legacy Patcher. That Bootloader and the patches are meant for real Macs not Hacks and probably won't provide the graphics capabilities you are looking for. You would be better served purchasing a natively supported AMD dGPU such as the RX470/480 or a Radeon Pro WX 4100 if you need a low profile card. I bought two WX 4100 cards on eBay recently. These were from an American seller for £46 each, plus postage (£28) and they work perfectly in my Dell Optiplex SFF and HP MicroServer Hacks running macOS Ventura.

laurent

AMD OS X Member
There are different levels of SIP, so just because the Terminal command says SIP is disabled doesn't mean it is 'Fully' disabled. You may have it disabled for Kext Signing, but not for anything else.

You need to set csr-active-config to FF0F0000 and SIP will be fully disabled.
An alternative is to use 03080000, which won't disable SIP completely but will be enough for you to use the Nvidia Patcher.

You also need the boot-arg amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1

Juste pour que vous le sachiez, personnellement, je ne recommande pas d'utiliser OpenCore Legacy Patcher. Ce chargeur de démarrage et les correctifs sont destinés aux vrais Mac et non aux hacks et ne fourniront probablement pas les capacités graphiques que vous recherchez. Vous seriez mieux servi en achetant un dGPU AMD pris en charge en mode natif, tel que le RX470/480 ou une Radeon Pro WX 4100 si vous avez besoin d'une carte à profil bas. J'ai récemment acheté deux cartes WX 4100 sur eBay. Ceux-ci provenaient d'un vendeur américain pour 46 £ chacun, plus les frais de port (28 £) et ils fonctionnent parfaitement dans mon Dell Optiplex SFF et HP MicroServer Hacks exécutant macOS Ventura.
Merci je vais essayer ça au mieux j’achèterai une carte graphique native

laurent

AMD OS X Member

View attachment 4615

Good evening
I used your efi to install monterey everything worked
but I made an oc clean snapshot and since then it's impossible to start
the computer restarts constantly and does a vram reset and nvram reset in a loop
I put the config plist if you can take a look thank you

Attachments

• config.plist
    32.5 KB · Views: 2

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
CleanNvram.efi and ResetSystem.efi are both OC Tools. So they should not be in the Drivers folder, or Drivers section in the config.plist. Remove them from the Drivers folder and place them in the Tools folder along side OpenShell.efi. Then run a Clean OC Snapshot on your OC folder.

why are you messing around with SIP? NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > csr-active-config should be set as <00000000>. SIP enabled.

Might be worth updating the AMD kernel Patches, as the se you are using only has 16 patches, whereas the latest has 22 patches. Although the patches you are using should work with Monterey,

I don't see anything else amiss in your config.

laurent

AMD OS X Member
thanks Edhawk

I had an error during startup

invalid bep 3 revision in loaded driver

I deleted the driver in question and

it worked

and for the sip, I set it to 00000000

but because i used opencore patcher to run an nvidia gt710 gpu

if I activate sip it gives an error at startup

Is it complicated to add the 6 patches?

can I just copy and paste them?

and where can I find them?

Last edited:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The latest AMD Kernel Patches can be found through the following link. Select the green button named ‘CODE’ and download the zip folder.

You will need to delete the current patches, all of them and add all the new patches to your config.plist in their place.
You will need to edit the replace entry for the first four patches, so they are correct for your CPU’s core count.

laurent

AMD OS X Member
Les derniers correctifs du noyau AMD peuvent être trouvés via le lien suivant. Sélectionnez le bouton vert nommé « CODE » et téléchargez le dossier zip.

Vous devrez supprimer tous les correctifs actuels et ajouter tous les nouveaux correctifs à votre config.plist à leur place.
Vous devrez modifier l'entrée de remplacement pour les quatre premiers correctifs afin qu'ils soient corrects pour le nombre de cœurs de votre processeur.
MERCI

laurent

AMD OS X Member
Good evening
thank you edhawk for your help it allowed me to make my first hachintosh almost alone😂
I managed to patch everything, the installation was completed, so I put a username and password and
in fact if immediately after installation I do not deactivate automatic login
I restart to a black screen

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpeg
    IMG_0488.jpeg
    734.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.