AudioGod's ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING - Big Sur & Monterey Beta - OpenCore 0.7.4 EFI

eduard0

AMD OS X Member
Well done, 👏
What was the bios setting that broke it all for you?
Truthfully, I’m not 100%.

By the time I got it going, I’d taken 2 of the 4 sticks of RAM out and reseated the other two, turned off the DOCP so the RAM was only running at 2133MHz, I’d forced the PCIe and NVMe to all have Gen3 links, and had rebuilt the installer fresh from the native one included on the M1 MacBook Air using one of the terminal commands (rebuildinstaller or something? Too long ago now).

I have given it a few stress tests now, before and after tweaking the settings up and it seems to be stable now running at full steam. I need to reapply the thermal paste on the CPU so it’s running a touch hot for my liking so I can’t really spank it just yet, but otherwise it’s sitting there happily cranking away. Everything I’ve tried works, and fast too.

Cheers!

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
AudioGod,

I randomly lost access to MacOS partition and EFI in the BIOS boot options. It is no longer detecting the Volume or EFI. I have had Monterey Beta 5 working fine since the release.

I can see the NVMe in the advanced NVME options and it passes the test.
I have reconfigured the BIOs already based on the setting on the first page.

Any ideas?

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
AudioGod,

I randomly lost access to MacOS partition and EFI in the BIOS boot options. It is no longer detecting the Volume or EFI. I have had Monterey Beta 5 working fine since the release.

I can see the NVMe in the advanced NVME options and it passes the test.
I have reconfigured the BIOs already based on the setting on the first page.

Any ideas?
What Version has disappeared 12.0?
Also what make and model is the NVMe drive?

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Both 12.0 and the OpenCore EFI in the Boot -> Boot Options
Oh it’s missing from the bios? Sorry I didn’t read your message properly.
Thats very strange. You sure the drive hasn’t failed?

Try resetting your bios via the button on the io shield

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
Wow that's cool,
Ive actually not checked temps difference but I will now you said that :)

Update, Ive not checked windows yet but my old idol temp in MacOS was around 36-38c but now....View attachment 3850.....What can I say to
Oh it’s missing from the bios? Sorry I didn’t read your message properly.
Thats very strange. You sure the drive hasn’t failed?

Try resetting your bios via the button on the io shield
It is only a few months old and passes the bios NVME test. In Addition, it registers in Windows and is mountable.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
It is only a few months old and passes the bios NVME test. In Addition, it registers in Windows and is mountable.
Did you try resetting your bios?

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
Also try using a USB installer with a EFI on it and see if that gains you access?
could be your EFI has corrupted although that would be a first.

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
Did you try resetting your bios?
Yes I did and used the BIOS setting you posted earlier this month for Beta 4. I am going to reset my BIOS with the motherboard jumpers.

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
Also try using a USB installer with a EFI on it and see if that gains you access?
could be your EFI has corrupted although that would be a first.
The USB installer defected the volume in the BIOS -> Boot-> Drive Options. but not the OpenCoce EFI. The OpenCore EFI should be set to the first boot order but is not registering.

This lead me to believe it is a BIOS issue and may require using the jumper to reset. Unfortunately, my ITX board does not have a BIOS reset so I will have to use the Jumper.

Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
The USB installer defected the volume in the BIOS -> Boot-> Drive Options. but not the OpenCoce EFI. The OpenCore EFI should be set to the first boot order but is not registering.

This lead me to believe it is a BIOS issue and may require using the jumper to reset. Unfortunately, my ITX board does not have a BIOS reset so I will have to use the Jumper.
If the usb installer see your partition then it means the EFI on the EFI partition is corrupt or it could be the partition itself.
boot into MacOS using the Efi on the usb installer and once in go into the main drives EFI partition and replace the EFI inside it and see if it kicks back in.

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
If the usb installer see your partition then it means the EFI on the EFI partition is corrupt or it could be the partition itself.
boot into MacOS using the Efi on the usb installer and once in go into the main drives EFI partition and replace the EFI inside it and see if it kicks back in.
I was just planning to do that but the EFI on my portable drive is not registering either in the BIOS Boot Options.

Do you think it could be something in the BIOS settings that is preventing the MacOS and the EFI from being detected by the Boot Options? Windows works perfectly.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
I was just planning to do that but the EFI on my portable drive is not registering either in the BIOS Boot Options.

Do you think it could be something in the BIOS settings that is preventing the MacOS and the EFI from being detected by the Boot Options? Windows works perfectly.
Could be, you could always reflash your bios I guess, and then load back in your settings as per page one on here and see if that does the trick.

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
Could be, you could always reflash your bios I guess, and then load back in your settings as per page one on here and see if that does the trick.
I am doing a lengthy drive test right now in the BIOS and 65% it is 65% finished after almost an hour.

The EFI and drive were not detected again. I followed the v4010 BIOS settings several times with the same result of neither the EFI on the internal drive volume or the external USB-C NVME are being detected. It worked fine yesterday but this morning something we bad.

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
Now I have both drives showing, the second drive is MacOS. But I am still unable to get the EFI to show up.

I got the MacOS Volume to be detected by making these Boot -> CSM -> Launch CSM to this. I have tried all the combinations to no avail for the OpenCore EFI.

I discovered a weird folder in the EFI root called Apple Update. I will copy over a backup of the working EFI.

UPDATE***
I copied the EFI to a Flash Drive and booted from it with these settings and it registered with OpenCore. But crashed when I tried to boot to MacOS. So I disabled Launch CSM and it booted. The OpenCore EFI registered on the primary drive but the partition does not show up in the BIOS Boot Option Priority.

UPDATE***
It was a corrupt EFI. The EFI has not changed since updating to Beta 4. It suddenly stopped working and would default to Windows. After replacing both the Hackintosh EFI Boot and OC folders Windows stopped showing up in the OpenCore Boot Picker. So obviously, I dropped in a copy of Windows folder and now everything is working.

Now you have had a corrupt EFI.

I really like the idea of having the EFI on a flash drive which would be removable and not require reapplying thermals pads if removed like the NVME. I am thinking of getting an internal usb header to USB port for inside the case so that way I can have the EFI on a separate drive.

Are there any drawback to this strategy?

Last edited:

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
@johnlietzke Never have CSM enabled with OpenCore and MacOS.
You need to select the drive with MacOS on it once to kick in the bootstrap and then it will display the bootstrap in your devices. It will not show your EFI partition in the bios, your confusing the two things there.
Always have a EFI backup on a usb installer for safe keeping.
The EFI corrupting is unheard of TBH fella and it would suggest a deeper underlying problem if it wasn’t caused by you somehow. If it happens again then start testing your hardware for errors starting with your storage devices.

Last edited:

winnerxu

AMD OS X Member
When i updated the newest version (072), i can only see the apple logo.
I waited for a long time about 10 minutes, but no more any change.
If i change the EFI files to 071 version, everything is OK.
My BIOS is 4010, and reseted NVram, and reseted BIOS just like you@audioGod.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
@winnerxu Add -v to the boot args to see where it hangs.

AudioGod

Guru
Guru
When i updated the newest version (072), i can only see the apple logo.
I waited for a long time about 10 minutes, but no more any change.
If i change the EFI files to 071 version, everything is OK.
My BIOS is 4010, and reseted NVram, and reseted BIOS just like you@audioGod.
Make sure you read the update notice and notes and set your Core Count Correctly.
Always read the notes in future before diving into a EFI update as you never know what changes need to be made if you don’t.

Last edited:

johnlietzke

AMD OS X Member
@johnlietzke Never have CSM enabled with OpenCore and MacOS.
You need to select the drive with MacOS on it once to kick in the bootstrap and then it will display the bootstrap in your devices. It will not show your EFI partition in the bios, your confusing the two things there.
Always have a EFI backup on a usb installer for safe keeping.
The EFI corrupting is unheard of TBH fella and it would suggest a deeper underlying problem if it wasn’t caused by you somehow. If it happens again then start testing your hardware for errors starting with your storage devices.
I have been running every NVME test I can find. No problems. It may have been a poor implementation on my part.

I got lazy and just created a voluime on the primary drive with the EFI for the Installer. Then installed from that volume a second copy of MacOS Beta 5 on another volume to test. After I confirmed Beta 5 worked I booted into Beta 4 and deleted both the Installer and the second test copy of MacOS Beta 5. Then updated the primary Beta 4 to Beta 5.

This may account for the strange UPDATE APPLE folder in the EFI. After searching I have seen no other references to the UPDATE APPLE folder in an EFI. Simply deleting the folder totally corrupted the EFI and OpenCore became undetectable. I feel like this problem may have been self inflicted by creating the installer volume on the same drive in conjunction with an untested Beta.

As for being able to see the MacOS drive in the Boot Options. I had a second working copy of MacOS Beta 1 on an external NVME plugged in via USB C. This was not detectable until I put a working backup of the Beta 4 EFI on the external NVME as the primary drive EFI was a problem.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.