Mac OS install on AMD Ryzen (VMWare) Opencore - Improved Performance - Works with Sequoia / Sonoma / etc

WooCash95

AMD OS X Member
It's so slow, barely usable. Typing takes seconds to load single words, and I have Ryzen 7800X3D with 32GB Ram and RTX 4090...how do I fix this? I'm a complete newbie and in vmware I can't turn on 3d acceleration. I just need to use it to sign apps to my apple tv using xcode, but it takes ages to do anything

Moozuki

AMD OS X Member
You need a supported graphics card.

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
It's so slow, barely usable. Typing takes seconds to load single words, and I have Ryzen 7800X3D with 32GB Ram and RTX 4090...how do I fix this? I'm a complete newbie and in vmware I can't turn on 3d acceleration. I just need to use it to sign apps to my apple tv using xcode, but it takes ages to do anything

I edited the post and found a way to fix the slowness. It's in the last item which is 8. You should turn off the windows hypervisor and you'll get good performance.

codehubhq

AMD OS X Member
It worked perfectly on my Lenovo Legion

cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz
gpu: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3050 TI 4GB
built-in gpu: AMD Radeon TM 2GB
ram: 40GB 3200 MHz ddr4

NOTE: I had to change network to (NAT) instead of (Bridge) after installation in-order for the network to connect.

Thank you so much, I've been searching for a solution for more than 1 month by now.
Now I can build my unity ios builds without worrying about the cost (10 builds on cloud) cost 10$

01 (1).png

tvf55

AMD OS X Member
This guide is incredible. Thank you!

One problem though. When I try to set the resolution using vmware-resolutionSet, it doesn't set and instead prints out:

Code:
Requested resolution: 1920x1080
Effective resolution: 1920x1080
Unable to set resolution

I'm not sure why it would be unable to set. I also tried 1024 768 and it gives me the same "Unable to set resolution"

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Nvidia 4000-series GPU, and I don't expect any acceleration, but I never had problems with resolution on macOS 12.5, so this seems unexpected to me.

I already tried everything I could think of like uninstalling/reinstalling VMWare Tools, rebooting, changing settings at the VMWare level, but no luck.

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
This guide is incredible. Thank you!

One problem though. When I try to set the resolution using vmware-resolutionSet, it doesn't set and instead prints out:

Code:
Requested resolution: 1920x1080
Effective resolution: 1920x1080
Unable to set resolution

I'm not sure why it would be unable to set. I also tried 1024 768 and it gives me the same "Unable to set resolution"

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Nvidia 4000-series GPU, and I don't expect any acceleration, but I never had problems with resolution on macOS 12.5, so this seems unexpected to me.

I already tried everything I could think of like uninstalling/reinstalling VMWare Tools, rebooting, changing settings at the VMWare level, but no luck.

I'm glad you succeeded.

To change the resolution in the macOS terminal you have to set a higher resolution (1920x180) in VMWare and then all lower resolutions will be accepted:

1718261919064.png

In this case, in order not to affect the resolution of Opencore which has some bugs if you change the resolution within macOS, I recommend setting an exclusive and fixed resolution of 1024x768 instead of "Max" as shown below. However, you will have to edit Opencore's config.plist file in UEFI, Output, Resolution:

1718261723978.png

This only affects the loading of the system and prevents some display problems from appearing until the whole system loads.

I've just made a new version of the 4 cores vmdk image file that already contains this fix and comes with Opencore 1.0 here.

For testing purposes, I'm also uploading an ISO containing macOS Sequoia Beta 1 which is compatible with Opecore 1.0 here.

Last edited:

tvf55

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for your reply. I'd tried that and it didn't work, but I did just figure it out now.

I found out that the OS was blocking the system extension for VMWare, and when I enabled that and rebooted, now I can set the resolution with the command.

Cheers!

tvf55

AMD OS X Member
It does seem like I'm unable to access the OpenCore menu though. All I get is a black screen. Otherwise everything works great.

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
It does seem like I'm unable to access the OpenCore menu though. All I get is a black screen. Otherwise everything works great.

You need to configure your Opencore to set the resolution to 1024x768 in order to avoid problems with resolution config not supported by VMWare's VGA.

In the previous post if you use the OC Auxiliary Tools and edit the config.plist file located on the OPENCORE volume in the EFI/OC folder as per the screenshot and save.

This resolution will be fixed at 1024x768 only in the Opencore menu and during system loading.

If you find this difficult, try using the new version of VMWare Image File containing Opencore 1.0.0 which already contains this fix.

Last edited:

Flashaholic

AMD OS X Member
Hey, thanks for the Guide.

but got a problem with the Installation.
After first Reboot i got this Message.. nothing happens since then.

Whats the Problem here ?

fsd.JPG

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
Someone wrote a little program to switch the Hyper-V on and off with the press of a button: https://github.com/ygoe/HyperVSwitch

Excellent tip.

The comments on this tool confirm that Hyper-V enabled can degrade performance.

In my case, I discovered this by looking for a crash in VMWare that was previously working with macOS installed and a comment on Stackoverflow showed how to fix the crash. But it didn't say anything about performance. To my surprise, disabling hyper-v not only fixed the vmware boot failure, but also boosted the performance of the macOS system I was running.

I'm going to test this tool and add it to the tutorial later.

Thank you very much.

Edit:

1718429861394.png

I've tested the tool and it doesn't seem to work with Windows 11. I think that because it's a bit old, it only works with older versions.

Last edited:

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
Hey, thanks for the Guide.

but got a problem with the Installation.
After first Reboot i got this Message.. nothing happens since then.

Whats the Problem here ?

View attachment 14249

I recommend that you use the VMWare image disk containing version 1.0 of Opencore that was recently added to the tutorial.

From what I've tested here, the older version is having this problem for some reason and I'll remove it from the list.

Try it out and let me know if it works.

Flashaholic

AMD OS X Member
I recommend that you use the VMWare image disk containing version 1.0 of Opencore that was recently added to the tutorial.

From what I've tested here, the older version is having this problem for some reason and I'll remove it from the list.

Try it out and let me know if it works.
I already using the 1.0 4 Core Image.
Tryed it with VMware 17.5 now it works! with 17.0 it doesent.

But now i have a white background, how to fix that?

Gaberlunzieman

AMD OS X Member
View attachment 14257

I've tested the tool and it doesn't seem to work with Windows 11. I think that because it's a bit old, it only works with older versions.

Hyper-V seems to be an optional feature in Windows 11 and has to be installed first before you can disable it :)
You can check at: Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off
HyperV.jpg
I am not sure about Win10, but I think it is the same. So most likely the whole thing is only an issue for people that have deliberately installed Hyper-V before.

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
I already using the 1.0 4 Core Image.
Tryed it with VMware 17.5 now it works! with 17.0 it doesent.

But now i have a white background, how to fix that?

I've had a few comments here about this:

Depending on the version of macOS you need to switch and find which wallpaper works.

Flashaholic

AMD OS X Member
I've had a few comments here about this:

Depending on the version of macOS you need to switch and find which wallpaper works.
Works thank you.
just the hole VM feels slow :/

tucano2000

AMD OS X Member
Works thank you.
just the hole VM feels slow :/

It's slower than using it on the real mac because VMware doesn't have the video compatibility to accelerate all the system's graphics resources. Even so, if you're not using it for graphics, it's quite usable.

However, it is much slower if you leave hyper-v on in windows. Did you turn it off?

Flashaholic

AMD OS X Member
It's slower than using it on the real mac because VMware doesn't have the video compatibility to accelerate all the system's graphics resources. Even so, if you're not using it for graphics, it's quite usable.

However, it is much slower if you leave hyper-v on in windows. Did you turn it off?
I disabled HYPER-V bcs with hyperv the vm dont even run ^^

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.