5950X+6600XT+X570TorpedoMax

madsmagnus

AMD OS X Member
Hey guys

We are working on a project here with the specs above. But we cannot really seem to get the install loader to even get anywhere. I just had a go with the plist after my comrade gave it a go, and it seems I have just taken us a step back. Now the machine claims that it does not support OSX - so there must clearly be some larger issue with my plist identification values...? I will up the plist here.

CPU: 5950X
GPU: 6700XT
MOB: MSI X570 Torpedo Max
SSD: Corsair MP600 Core (4 TB) - I know, long shot as nobody has tried it. But let's see. It's a Phison controller and I hope NVMe fix will atleast enable TRIM.

EDIT: The GPU is now a 6600XT. Please look past posts regarding incompatibility of 6700XT.

Attachments

• config.plist
    33.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The RX 6700 XT is not supported by macOS as it is a Navi 22 chip. macOS 11.4 added support for Navi 21 (6800/6900) and macOS 12.1 added support for Navi 23 (6600) so far.
Also, some MSI 500 boards have BIOS issues preventing Monterey from booting.

madsmagnus

AMD OS X Member
Oh fudge... I just found a vid of some russian dude going over a whole bunch of stuff regarding MacOS and the 6700XT - seemed like some plist changes, dunno if he actually explains a fix or not.

Is there anything I can do from here?

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
I don't understand russian, but there are no drivers for the 6700 XT in macOS. People tried spoofing the device ID, but so far I never heard of anyone getting it to work.

madsmagnus

AMD OS X Member
I guess all I can do is wait for the 6700XT support then, assuming it will be coming.

Question: If I was to finish the build with a 6600XT - what would be needed to for me to switch to the 6700XT in the future?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Apple to add the necessary drivers to macOS. Nothing else.

madsmagnus

AMD OS X Member
Right but what would be required from my side? Updating the OS to a version that has the device IDs included.. anything else? It would be plug and play from there right?

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Once and IF Apple add support it would be a straight swap yes. It's doubtful that they'll add it but there's always hope.

Aluveitie

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Apple only adds support for GPUs they use themselves. Which effectively is limited to what they want to support on the MacPro as Apple Silicon Mac use Apple's own GPUs.

Navi 23 (6700 XT) was released before the Navi 22 (6600). As all Navi variants are very similar, this strongly indicates they don't intend to use Navi 23.
Plans can change but I wouldn't count on anything, Navi 31 will probably be released before this materializes.

madsmagnus

AMD OS X Member
Apple only adds support for GPUs they use themselves. Which effectively is limited to what they want to support on the MacPro as Apple Silicon Mac use Apple's own GPUs.

Navi 23 (6700 XT) was released before the Navi 22 (6600). As all Navi variants are very similar, this strongly indicates they don't intend to use Navi 23.
Plans can change but I wouldn't count on anything, Navi 31 will probably be released before this materializes.

Alright so I got myself a 6600XT in the machine now. I need to start from scratch as my EFI files probably are a bit iffy atm.

Will report back.

madsmagnus

AMD OS X Member
Okay. So I decided to redo the EFI folder with these:
-Desktop AMD Bulldozer, Jaguar, Ryzen and Threadripper

After that, I edited the plist as much as I could, according to this:

So yeah mainly just adjusting cores, and making sure that the ACPI>Add tables were adjusted.

So this is where I am atm:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@madsmagnus try the OpenCore 0.7.8 EFI below, it should work with your 16-core CPU/X570/RX6600 system.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 5

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Sorry I used the wrong SSDT-EC-USBX.aml. I added one for an Intel system, not an AMD system.

The revised EFI 2 contains anSSDT-EC-USBX-DESKTOP.aml which should work for an AMD system.

Attachments

• EFI 2.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 7

madsmagnus

AMD OS X Member
Thank you @Edhawk

With some help from Alyxferrari on discord, we managed to get the machine into OSX. I had to skip the network setup assistant part, or else it would crash. So now I am in OSX, running EFI off the SSD but I have no network at all. The motherboard has Realtek® 8125B 2.5Gbps LAN Controller and Realtek® RTL8111H 1Gbps LAN Controller. Both kexts for these cards should be loaded, but no dice. Suggestions?

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The Realtek8111 NIC should work with the driver/kext provided. Not surprised the 2.5GB Ethernet port is not working, as that is a common issue when using Monterey.

Maybe removing the kext for the 2.5GB Ethernet port would allow the other kext to work for the RTL8111H Controller. Try disabling the LucyRTL….kext in the config.plist.

madsmagnus

AMD OS X Member
My propertree program is ofc not running LF, it was running CR - so it doesnt execute properly @ the Mac. Anyway, I opened the plist on my other PC, removed the Lucy8125 from the OC folder, cleaned the snapshot, copied the snapshot the the MacOS EFI, moved the Lucy8125 from that one also, restarted and yes I can see that OC Configurator shows that the 8125 is no longer enabled. But no dice, still no interwebs via the 8111.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Download and install the latest version of the RealtekRTL8111.kext from Mieze's Github repository:

You are currently using version 2.3.0, the latest is version 2.4.2. Updating the kext may make a difference.

The alternative is for you to install a macOS compatible PCIe NIC, see this post I made - Intel NIC for Monterey

madsmagnus

AMD OS X Member
Download and install the latest version of the RealtekRTL8111.kext from Mieze's Github repository:

You are currently using version 2.3.0, the latest is version 2.4.2. Updating the kext may make a difference.

The alternative is for you to install a macOS compatible PCIe NIC, see this post I made - Intel NIC for Monterey
Already updated to 2.4.2 - no diff

Hmm but both the NICs are compatible from what I understand though.. I think it's a larger issue at play here.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.