X570 Aorus Elite WiFi, 3700X, Vega 56, Mojave to Monterey

Yard Sale

AMD OS X Member
Previously stable Clover dual boot Hackintosh with Mojave made following the Vanilla guide. I wanted a Navi GPU to play games on the Windows side, which required Big Sur or later on the Mac OS side, which in turn required OpenCore. I followed the Dortania guide. Some unexpected things went wrong.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
Storage: HP EX920 256 GB M.2-2280 NVME (Mac OS EFI system partition)
Storage: Intel 660p 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME (Windows)
Storage: Hitachi 7K1000.C 250 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (ExFAT Mac to Windows sharing)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Windows)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Mac)
Video Card: PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56
OpenCore: 0.8.2 downloaded July 4, 2022

1657648962404.png

I did a BIOS update from my working F12 to the latest F37c prior to this installation and it killed my Mojave installation. No tweaking of the new BIOS settings could revive Mojave or install Monterey, nor could BIOS version F20. Revering to BIOS F11 (because F12 disappeared) brought Mojave back to life and let me install OpenCore and Monterey.

The Dortania guide suggests enabling Above 4G encoding. That was a no-go. I will detail relevant BIOS settings later.

Above is a snapshot of my EFI folder. It is nearly bare bones as per the Dortania guide.

There's the Airport kext for my Archer TP-6E WiFi card, because the MB WiFi can't be used on a Hackintosh.

There's a kext for the onboard Intel i211 Ethernet. There are known problems with i211 and Monterey so I used AppleIGB instead of SmallTree. It worked then dropped my internet connection for no apparent reason, which I guess is the issue with AppleIGB. One time I had no internet upon startup, and then restarted and got it back. So I guess this is what we have to deal with until it or SmallTree is fixed. I tried a hack which involved IONetworkingFamily and IOPCIFamily kexts in conjunction with SmallTree and it went horribly wrong.

The strangest problem was the lack of keyboard response in the OpenCore picker. None of the documented fixes worked, but the AptioInputFix driver did.

With my Clover Mojave build, audio was the big problem and I used VooDooHDA for the MB's 1220 audio chip. At the recommendation of a kind soul on the Discord, I used AppleALC, which has been improved since I tried to use it three years ago. It worked right away with the 1 layout, boom.

After I got everything working with the Debug build of OpenCore, I replaced it with the Release build. There is a noticeable speed difference. But the debugging messages were absolutely necessary to work through problems.

I just ordered a RX 6800 card to replace my Vega 56. I'll add the appropriate boot arg and have at it.

Yard Sale

AMD OS X Member
Aorus Elite WiFi BIOS F11

Load optimized settings, then change...

Tweaker
Extreme Memory Profile Profile1
all others default settings

Platform Power
AC Back Always Off
Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN Delay
Power Loading Auto
Resume by Alarm Disabled
Wake on LAN Disabled
High Precision Event Timer Enabled

IO Ports
Initial Disaplay Output PCIe 1 Slot
HD Audio Controller Enabled
PCIEX16 Bifurcation Auto
Above 4G Decoding Disabled
Re-Size BAR Support Disabled
F_USB31C Gen Speed Auto
Onboard LAN Controller Enabled

IO Ports > USB Configuration
Legacy USB Support Disabled
XHCI Hand-off Enabled
USB Mass Storage Driver Support Enabled
Port 60/64 Emulation Disabled

IO Ports > SATA Configuration
SATA Mode AHCI
NVMe RAID mode Disabled
Chipset SATA Port Enabled
Chipset SATA Port Hot Plug Enabled

IO Ports > Network Stack Configuration
Network Stack Disabled

IO Ports > Intel i211 Gigabit Network Connection > NIC Configuration
Link Speed Auto
Wake On LAN Enabled

Settings > Miscellaneous
LEDs in System Power On State On
LEDs in Sleep... Off
PCIEX16 Slot Configuration Auto
PCIe Slot Configuration Auto
PCIe ASPM Mode Disabled
3DMark01 Environment Disabled
IOMMU Auto
TSME Auto
AMD CPUfTPM Disabled

Settings > Miscellaneous > Trusted Computing 2.0
Security Device Support Disable
Disable Block Sid Disabled

Settings > AMD CBS > XFR Enhancement
Precision Boost Overdrive Disable
SOC OVERCLOCK VID 0
all others Auto

Settings > AMD CBS > Custom Core Pstates
Custom Pstate0 Auto

Settings > AMD CBS
all Auto

Settings > AMD CBS > CPU Common Options
Core Performance Boost Auto
Global C-state Control Enabled
Power Supply Idle Control Low Current Idle
all others Auto

Settings > AMD CBS > CPU Common Options > Performance
untouched from defaults

Settings > AMD CBS > CPU Common Options > Prefetcher settings
untouched from defaults

Settings > AMD CBS > CPU Common Options > Core Watchdog
untouched from defaults

Settings > AMD Overclocking
Precision Boost Overdrive Disable
SoC/Uncore OC Mode Disabled
SoC Voltage 0
ECO Mode Disable
all others Auto

Settings > AMD Overclocking > Manual CPU Overclocking
untouched from defaults

Settings > AMD Overclocking > DDR and Infinity Fabric
untouched from defaults

Boot
Boot Option #1 UEFI OS (OpenCore drive)
Boot Option #2 Windows Boot Manager (Windows drive)
Bootup NumLock State On
Security Option System
Full Screen LOGO Show Enabled
Fast Boot Disabled
CSM Support Disabled
Preferred Operating Mode Advanced Mode

Boot > Secure Boot
System Mode Setup
Secure Boot Disabled
Secure Boot Mode Standard

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Try the EFI folder attached below.
  1. It has been created using OpenCore 0.8.2 for an AMD system with an X570 MB, an 8-core CPU and a Vega 56 GPU.
  2. It uses the iMacPro1,1, SMBIOS, newly generated and tested against Apple's Service Checker, so it isn't being used by a real Mac.
    • If you have a suitable SMBIOS in your Clover config.plist, i.e. iMacPro1,1 then you can replace the Serial Number, MLB, ROM and SystemUUID in the OC config.plist.
    • This would be logical if you have your system using iCloud, Messages etc.
    • As long as the SMBIOS supports running Monterey and isn't an iMac SMBIOS.
    • If either of the two items above are not relevant leave the current SMBIOS details as they are.
  3. It has been set so it will work with the APFS format from macOS Mojave and newer, (UEFI > APFS >MinDate & MinVersion entries are set to allow Mojave APFS drives to be visible).
You should check to see if it works with your current Mojave installation before installing Monterey.
Just copy the EFI to the EFI partition on a spare HFS+ formatted USB Drive and boot your system from the USB.
This will launch the OpenCore GUI boot screen, where you can select your Mojave or Windows boot partitions.

The tools to clear nvram and reset the system are hidden by default on the OC GUI boot screen. Simply press the 'Spacebar' to unhide these tools.

You will need to use the ResetNvram.efi tool before you boot macOS with this EFI. So as t clear the old Nvram settings when booting with OpenCore.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    11.1 MB · Views: 18

Yard Sale

AMD OS X Member
Update 1: Changed video card to Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 and added the relevant boot argument to the NVRAM section of config.plist.

Update 2: Upgraded to BIOS F35, Above 4G Encoding Enabled, Resize BARs Auto, then in config.plist ResizeAppleGPUBars 0, ResizeGPUBars -1

I also changed some other things in BIOS like PBO to Auto, with no ill effect.

pancheesy4sheezy

AMD OS X Member
Update 1: Changed video card to Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 and added the relevant boot argument to the NVRAM section of config.plist.

Update 2: Upgraded to BIOS F35, Above 4G Encoding Enabled, Resize BARs Auto, then in config.plist ResizeAppleGPUBars 0, ResizeGPUBars -1

I also changed some other things in BIOS like PBO to Auto, with no ill effect.
Did this help make your install successful? I have the same Mobo and it's driving me crazy that I can't get it running again.

update: nevermind! don't know what I did differently, but currently installing Big Sur!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.