Updated to 12.6 Now Can't Boot - ASUS ROG Strix x570-E Gaming Wifi II - Please Help!!

KemikalHalo

AMD OS X Member
I am hoping someone can help me, 'cause I am ready to tear what's left of my hair out. I updated my machine to MacOS 12.6, install went ok but then when trying to boot the system after install I get a reboot right before it loads the UI. I have tried reinstalling with 12.5 and 12.4, both of which my EFI previously worked on and those installers also crash at boot up. I have tried downgrading my bios and that didn't work either. Any insight anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. My EFI is attached below. I've even tried checking logs and the end at LOG:EXITBS:START.

Very weird to me that I can't get either the 12.4 and 12.5 installer to even boot up with the same EFI that previously worked for them.

Specs:
ASUS ROG STRIX x579-E Gaming Wifi II
Ryzen x5950 16 Core
64 GB 3600 Ram
Fenvi T919 for Wifi and BT
Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 6800 XT
NZXT x73 AIO Cooler
6 4TB Sata Drives
2 1TB Corsair 600 Pro NVMEs

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    7.2 MB · Views: 13

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
I am hoping someone can help me, 'cause I am ready to tear what's left of my hair out. I updated my machine to MacOS 12.6, install went ok but then when trying to boot the system after install I get a reboot right before it loads the UI. I have tried reinstalling with 12.5 and 12.4, both of which my EFI previously worked on and those installers also crash at boot up. I have tried downgrading my bios and that didn't work either. Any insight anyone can provide is greatly appreciated. My EFI is attached below. I've even tried checking logs and the end at LOG:EXITBS:START.

Very weird to me that I can't get either the 12.4 and 12.5 installer to even boot up with the same EFI that previously worked for them.

Specs:
ASUS ROG STRIX x579-E Gaming Wifi II
Ryzen x5950 16 Core
64 GB 3600 Ram
Fenvi T919 for Wifi and BT
Sapphire Radeon Pulse RX 6800 XT
NZXT x73 AIO Cooler
6 4TB Sata Drives
2 1TB Corsair 600 Pro NVMEs
Hi there,

Looks like your EFI was missing a number of things. Probably the most glaring was the fact that you didn't update the Kernel > Patches section
and the fact that you used agdpmod=ignore instead of agdpmod=pikera for your RX6800 board. Other than that you chose to use SSDT-ARTC.aml
which I think is an odd choice, and had no SSDTs for the PTXH to XHC settings for the USB ports for some very strange reason (as the USB on
these AMD boards won't work without them).

Anyways I have compiled a build for you based on my working 5900X B550 Vision D RX6800 build. Give it a shot, it should work (updated to OC 0.8.4)
If you have trouble seeing the login screen with the new EFI, connect the HDMI cable on the back of your RX6800 to port second from the right
and wait for about a minute or two after the Apple screen shows up at boot, it should appear.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    36.3 MB · Views: 2

KemikalHalo

AMD OS X Member
Hey @Middleman I really appreciate the effort and the help. I couldn't get this to work either. The reason I am using agdpmod=ignore is I am using the smbios for MacPro7,1. Before updating to 12.6 from 12.5.1 everything was working as it should with my EFI. After running the update I can't even get it to boot into an installer. Windows and linux boot fine.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Here's a couple of things to try, remove NVMeFix I did this when updating to 12.6 on my AM4G5. Have you tried SMBIOS iMac19,1? worked for me.

craighazan

Donator
Donator
Hi there,

Looks like your EFI was missing a number of things. Probably the most glaring was the fact that you didn't update the Kernel > Patches section
and the fact that you used agdpmod=ignore instead of agdpmod=pikera for your RX6800 board. Other than that you chose to use SSDT-ARTC.aml
which I think is an odd choice, and had no SSDTs for the PTXH to XHC settings for the USB ports for some very strange reason (as the USB on
these AMD boards won't work without them).

Anyways I have compiled a build for you based on my working 5900X B550 Vision D RX6800 build. Give it a shot, it should work (updated to OC 0.8.4)
If you have trouble seeing the login screen with the new EFI, connect the HDMI cable on the back of your RX6800 to port second from the right
and wait for about a minute or two after the Apple screen shows up at boot, it should appear.
There's a lot we can remove from the EFI to get this working, I'll have a proper look tomorrow. For example, this is my EFI folder for AM4G5 (Right).

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 9.12.06 PM.png

Last edited:

atanvarno

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Hey @Middleman I really appreciate the effort and the help. I couldn't get this to work either. The reason I am using agdpmod=ignore is I am using the smbios for MacPro7,1. Before updating to 12.6 from 12.5.1 everything was working as it should with my EFI. After running the update I can't even get it to boot into an installer. Windows and linux boot fine.
I'm using RX 6800 in one and 6900XT in another build and using MacPro7,1 for both. In both cases pikera was the right choice thus I doubt that's the issue here.

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.