Trouble Booting OpenCore for High Sierra on FX8350

birdpause

AMD OS X Member
Hi there, first time trying to run get a setup up and running, and I'm encountering a boot issue whenever I try to install Big Sur on my setup. Whenever I plug in my USB stick I'm getting a black screen with a flashing cursor. I'm assuming it's something I've gotten wrong in my config.plist, but I wanted to reach out here for support. I'm working with the following hardware:

CPU: AMD FX 8350
GPU: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Chipset: AMD760G
USB wireless mouse and keyboard, can provide more information
Audio Codec: Realtek ALC887 @ ATI SB750 High Definition Audio Controller
Network Controller: Realtek RTL 8168/8111
Ethernet Adapter: PHY Realtek RTL 8111

And here is my config.plist with my serial number removed. This is probably a mess lol so any help is welcome.

While I'm thinking about it, what's the highest software version I'll be able to run with this setup? I opted for the High Sierra installer because it looked like the last one that was supported with my hardware, but if I can run anything higher, that'd be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    38.3 KB · Views: 2

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Yes High Sierra is the highest version of macOS you can run with your setup. Due to the Nvidia GPU not being supported in any newer versions of macOS.

Have a look at this similar FX3850 Success thread, it is for Big Sur but it might help with your High Sierra setup.

birdpause

AMD OS X Member
Thanks for getting back to me, and thanks for the link - I've been using it as I work my way through the build process. Would I need to have the Nvidia web drivers on my USB stick? I can download the .pkg file, but I can't do anything with it since I'm on Windows and my Macbook won't open it since it's on a newer version of macos. Is there a way to get the unpacked drivers?

birdpause

AMD OS X Member
Ah, I think I see at least some of my problem - looks like my BIOS mode is legacy only.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Both Clover and OpenCore have legacy boot options, so that shouldn’t prevent your system from running macOS.

No don’t try adding the Nvidia Web Drivers to your USB. You only want to install them once macOS is up and running the latest version of High Sierra. As each sub-version of High Sierra had its own release of the web driver.

birdpause

AMD OS X Member
Got it, thanks, really appreciate your help. I'm still running into the black screen with the flashing cursor after setting up the legacy boot file on my EFI drive. Is there something I've messed up in the config.plist I posted above?

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.