[Testing] Intel WiFi itlwm driver for Sonoma

joostiphone

AMD OS X Member
Hi all, and @CaseySJ

I think it's pretty easy for you gents, but I want to understand how I can activate this test kext driver in my EFI, to play around with in my test setup for Sonoma. Can you please check my EFI?

The driver to test with can be found here (or attached):

My current Sonoma test EFI is attached:

I think it would be great to keep using the Bluetooth of the Fenvi card, combined with the Intel WiFi.

Do I need to make changes to 'SSDT-UIAC-DESIGNARE-Z390-FD-DEFINE-R6-USB2-ON-TB-V3-withFenviBluetooth.aml'?

Attachments

• AirportItlwm-Sonoma.kext.zip
    14.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 5-7-2023 Z390 OC094-DEV Sonoma V00 itlwm NoSN.zip
    31.6 MB · Views: 40

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Hello @joostiphone,

We just have to add the new AirportItlwm into Kernel section of config.plist and copy kext into EFI/OC/Kexts. We should set MinKernel to 23.0.0 and MaxKernel to 23.99.99

This should be enough to activate Intel WiFi if the Intel module in your system is supported by the driver.

This driver is only for WiFi, so nothing else should be necessary if you want to continue using Broadcom Bluetooth.

joostiphone

AMD OS X Member
Thanks a lot, I will test it tonight with the min and max settings.

joostiphone

AMD OS X Member
After filling the min and Max fields, it doesn't load unfortunately. Also Heliport doesn't see the loaded kext. I'm curious what I configured wrong, and what else can I try?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 19.13.17.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 19.13.17.png
    355.9 KB · Views: 42

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
The Heliport app only works with Itlwm.kext, it does not work and is not needed when using Airportitlwm.kext.

Airportitlwm.kext uses the native macOS WiFi Utility found in the Menu bar and System Settings.

joostiphone

AMD OS X Member
The Heliport app only works with Itlwm.kext, it does not work and is not needed when using Airportitlwm.kext.

Airportitlwm.kext uses the native macOS WiFi Utility found in the Menu bar and System Settings.

Thank you, this is good to know. I didn't realize. The kext still doesn't inject though, so I'm still uncertain about what I need to do.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Thank you, this is good to know. I didn't realize. The kext still doesn't inject though, so I'm still uncertain about what I need to do.
Just tried it on my Gigabyte Z390 Designare and it works rather well. As @Edhawk mentioned we no longer need Heliport.

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 6.06.11 PM.png
We can also enable WiFi icon in menu bar:
Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 6.08.41 PM.png

Middleman

AMD OS X Member
Make sure it loads after your main kexts (Lilu, VirtualSMC, AppleALC, SMCAMDProcessor etc) and also after your USB map kext.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
Works well on my Intel Laptop also. No issues so far. Just need to fix BT somehow,

250843417-5215aa95-d364-48f4-8e7b-8e0cae862bdb.png

joostiphone

AMD OS X Member
I still don't get what I'm doing wrong... it's still not working here :sneaky:

Edhawk

Guru
Guru

Further to the above:

When you use Airportitlwm.kext, macOS treats your Wifi card as a WiFi card. Hence the OS lets you use the builtin WiFi preferences/System Settings.

When you use Itlwm.kext, macOS treats your WiFi card as an Ethernet controller. So the builtin WiFi preferences/System Settings don't work and you have to use the Heliport app to have a functioning internet connection through your WiFi card.

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
@joostiphone post a copy of your OC EFI for your Z390 system so we can see what you are using. As we don't and can't see the whole picture with the information provided to date.

Just remember to redact/delete your Serial number from the config.plist before you post a copy of your EFI here.

Assumption this is the Coffee Lake system listed in your signature, i.e. Fractal Design R6 case etc.

Also confirm the WiFi/BT card you are using (Fenvi?), which PCIe slot it is located within or if you are using the Intel WiFi/BT card located in the CNVi connector.

joostiphone

AMD OS X Member
@joostiphone post a copy of your OC EFI for your Z390 system so we can see what you are using. As we don't and can't see the whole picture with the information provided to date.

Just remember to redact/delete your Serial number from the config.plist before you post a copy of your EFI here.

Assumption this is the Coffee Lake system listed in your signature, i.e. Fractal Design R6 case etc.

Also confirm the WiFi/BT card you are using (Fenvi?), which PCIe slot it is located within or if you are using the Intel WiFi/BT card located in the CNVi connector.

My system is indeed as per my signature. A picture of my system, the Fenvi card is in the lowest PCI-e slot.
See attached also my efi, without SN etc.

Attachments

• IMG_5383.jpeg
    IMG_5383.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • efi-joost.zip
    31.6 MB · Views: 4

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
Are you using the Fenvi T919 for WiFi and Bluetooth or just WiFi or just Bluetooth from this card?

Do you have an Intel WiFi/BT card in the PCIe x1 slot above the Fenvi card? If yes, which functions are you using - both WiFi & BT, one or none of them from this card?

None of the Bluetooth kexts for the Broadcom or Intel cards are active in your config.plist. So why are you retaining them in your OC/Kexts folder if you are not using them?

Same goes for the SSDT-DMAR.aml table, of you are not using it why retain it in your /OC/ACPI folder?

Three of the boot arguments in your config.plist are not required.

keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera alcid=11 shikigva=80 igfxfw=2 -v -lilubetaall

The last three are not required.
  1. The Shikigva boot arguments stopped working in Big Sur.
  2. You are using a discrete GPU, so the IGPU should only be working via an Empty/Headless framebuffer. Therefore there is no need for any IGPU boot arguments.
  3. Latest version of Lilu.kext works with Sonoma, without the -lilubetaall boot argument.

Last edited:

joostiphone

AMD OS X Member
Are you using the Fenvi T919 for WiFi and Bluetooth or just WiFi or just Bluetooth from this card?

Do you have an Intel WiFi/BT card in the PCIe x1 slot above the Fenvi card? If yes, which functions are you using - both WiFi & BT, one or none of them from this card?

None of the Bluetooth kexts for the Broadcom or Intel cards are active in your config.plist. So why are you retaining them in your OC/Kexts folder if you are not using them?

Same goes for the SSDT-DMAR.aml table, of you are not using it why retain it in your /OC/ACPI folder?

Three of the boot arguments in your config.plist are not required.

keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 agdpmod=pikera alcid=11 shikigva=80 igfxfw=2 -v -lilubetaall

The last three are not required.
  1. The Shikigva boot arguments stopped working in Big Sur.
  2. You are using a discrete GPU, so the IGPU should only be working via an Empty/Headless framebuffer. Therefore there is no need for any IGPU boot arguments.
  3. Latest version of Lilu.kext works with Sonoma, without the -lilubetaall boot argument.

I am currently using the Fenvi for WiFi & BT, but, when the AirPortItwlm driver works, I only will use Bluetooth on the Fenvi.

I don't have another wifi/bt card which requires kexts or any configuration or anything. That small card above the Fenvi is a bootcard, to remotely boot my PC via HomeKit.

Regarding the files not being used, they indeed can be removed. But since they are not activated in my config.plist, they don't do any harm.

I will test later on without the 3 boot arguments. I, indeed, do use the latest lilu.kext version, so that boot argument is indeed redundant.

Edit: I will keep igfxfw=2, because when bypassing the eGPU, I will rely on the iGPU. It can't harm if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

joostiphone

AMD OS X Member
Cleaned up the EFI (and latest kext of itlwm). Any more suggestions based on the above that I need to do?
I will try it again tonight.

Attachments

• 7-7-2023 Z390 OC094-DEV Sonoma V00 itlwm NoSN.zip
    21.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

joostiphone

AMD OS X Member

joostiphone

AMD OS X Member
Is it possible my problem is hardware related or something? I feel like ive tried everything (same setup basically as @CaseySJ ) and it's still not working :)

@CaseySJ I know it's a bit of a pain to try it, but can you test if my EFI enables the Intel WiFi on your system?

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator
Is it possible my problem is hardware related or something? I feel like ive tried everything (same setup basically as @CaseySJ ) and it's still not working :)

@CaseySJ I know it's a bit of a pain to try it, but can you test if my EFI enables the Intel WiFi on your system?
Sure, will do later today.

CaseySJ

Guru
Guru
Donator

Sure, will do later today.

You may not have seen this post on TonyMac as it's in the Z490 Vision D thread...

...but it contains the solution to your problem:

Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 9.19.10 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.