(Success) Mojave 10.4.6 AMD Ryzen 7 **Laptop**with full RX Vega 56 Graphics Acceleration - Requires further tuningSuccess-

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
20220101_135423.jpg

20220101_135636.jpg

20220101_135649.jpg

20220101_135436.jpg

Here are more pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/194720966@N03/?

Below are the specs:

Laptop: Acer Predator Helios 500 (Ryzen)

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 (Desktop). - Works

GPU: Radeon RX Vega 56. (Same SKU as Imac Pro 2017) - Works

Ram: 80GB DDR4 at 1866 Mhz. (Currently). Note: Will tune it to increase speed - Works

HHD: Kingston: 2TB NVM - Works

Motherboard: Modified desktop AM4 B450

Audio: Realtek - Works

Bluetooth: Doesn't work, works with Asus dongle

Keyboard: Worked one time, but seem to have smbios problem, set as Imac pro 1,1

Screen: 144z at 1080P, Works at full speed

Camera: Works

Ports: DP, HDMI, USB3, USBC all work.

What doesn't work works:

1. Keyboard - Possibly smbios issue. VoodooPs2 and dependency didn't fix it under Imac Pro 1,1
  2. Internal bluetooth doesn't work
Nagging issue:

When booting have the annoyance that once booting it requires to unplug the mouse or it will stall to boot the OS. But it always boots when doing so still works, but not ideal.

**This one is quite annoying. The RX Vega 56 performance is not good when comparing it to Windows. While that is. to be expected the discrepancy is not normal. Firstly, the mac reads the Vega 56 as Vega 64, doubt that is a problem.

in Geekbench 5 the difference are drastic.

WINDOWS: OpenCL: 62k to 64k

MACOS Mojave: OpenCL: 25k-28k

The Ryzen CPU does behave as expected.

Really will like to know if there are ways to improve the performance of the Radeon.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
The advantage to desktop components in a laptop :D

Are you sure the keyboard uses the PS2 interface? Check device manager in Windows.

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
The advantage to desktop components in a laptop :D

Are you sure the keyboard uses the PS2 interface? Check device manager in Windows.

Oh, interesting. You think it may be a different kind of keyboard?

You have awakened my curiosity

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator
It's possible that it uses a USB interface. Can't say for sure though. It could also be I2C which doesn't work on AMD currently.

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

Shaneee

The AMD Guy
Staff member
Administrator

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Swap around the last two kernel patches. So you disable algrey's mtrr patch and enable my one.
I will test and report back

Note: I am curious if this somehow can help solve the problem of my machine properly booting the installation screen.

See, While I can boot and install High Sierra, and Mojave just fine. I can not properly load the installation page of Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey.

I am curios if a patch is needed after Mojave, since those worked.

:unsure:

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Update:

Keyboard now working, and the GPU is now working closer to what is suppose to with the Vega Fix that allows the GPU overclocking, control the fans etc...

Jo-Toku

Donator
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Swap around the last two kernel patches. So you disable algrey's mtrr patch and enable my one.
I did the patch in conjunction with the Vega Fix I saw at the Morgonaut channel and I got GPU improvement.

Before changes: Metal Score = 25k

After Changes: Metal = 59k

Note that is the score it should be as that is what others of the same card hover around that. The M1 Max is 63k, not bad at all for a 1k laptop that can use 128GB of ram and 8/16 Ryzen desktop cpu /GPU laptop

49385.jpg

And in comparison with other Vega 64 and 56 below is a Graph from Geekbench 5

49388.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.