SSD speed issue

walidur234

AMD OS X Member
My SSD speed drastically drops after 2-3 days of macOS installation. [check the attached screenshot]

Day 1, 2: speed is totally fine. ~3000/3000MB/s [R/W]
Day 3: speed drop to 3000/800MB/s [R/W]
[See attached screenshot]

SSD: Samsung Evo 970 plus 500GB, I know it has TRIM issue.

I'm very worried about these speed drops. I've also tried macOS Monterey, but no luck same problem. speed drops drastically after 2-3 days.

Edit: I'm using NVMeFix.kext

Attachments

• Fresh Install [Day 1].png
    Fresh Install [Day 1].png
    296.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Fresh Install [Day 3].png
    Fresh Install [Day 3].png
    303.4 KB · Views: 7
Solution
I think this is normal for Blackmagic Speed Test, and nothing to worry about.
  • The first time you run the Speed Test (5GB) it shows the max R/W speeds for the drive.
  • On the next and any subsequent tests:
    • It shows the Read speed as matching the first test.
    • But the Write speed drops incrementally, from the max down to the sustainable 'standard' speed.
  • The 'standard' speed can be anything between 1000-500MB/s depending on the SSD/NVMe you are testing.
  • This 'standard' speed is the real sustainable speed of the drive, not the max speed shown on the first run/test.
  • The max speed will only be obtained over short/infrequent uses.
  • You can't tell the difference in real life usage as to which speed the drive...

Edhawk

Guru
Guru
I think this is normal for Blackmagic Speed Test, and nothing to worry about.
  • The first time you run the Speed Test (5GB) it shows the max R/W speeds for the drive.
  • On the next and any subsequent tests:
    • It shows the Read speed as matching the first test.
    • But the Write speed drops incrementally, from the max down to the sustainable 'standard' speed.
  • The 'standard' speed can be anything between 1000-500MB/s depending on the SSD/NVMe you are testing.
  • This 'standard' speed is the real sustainable speed of the drive, not the max speed shown on the first run/test.
  • The max speed will only be obtained over short/infrequent uses.
  • You can't tell the difference in real life usage as to which speed the drive is working at.
This has always been the case when I have used the Blackmagic speed test app. I have been using it since 2014, according to my App Store purchase date.

Solution

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member
My SSD speed drastically drops after 2-3 days of macOS installation. [check the attached screenshot]

Day 1, 2: speed is totally fine. ~3000/3000MB/s [R/W]
Day 3: speed drop to 3000/800MB/s [R/W]
[See attached screenshot]

SSD: Samsung Evo 970 plus 500GB, I know it has TRIM issue.

I'm very worried about these speed drops. I've also tried macOS Monterey, but no luck same problem. speed drops drastically after 2-3 days.

Edit: I'm using NVMeFix.kext
I had similar issue with BlackMagic…. Have you tried AmorphousDiskMark?

OG Nerd

Knows Enough To Get In Trouble
Donator
AMD OS X Member
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.