[solved] AX200's WiFi not working (MSI B550 Unify)

adrianz

AMD OS X Member
A couple of days ago I bought a USB3.0 flash disk, so that I have opportunity to make USB map kext via USBToolBox and then to install Monterey. Airplay to Mac, the new feature of Monterey is so sexy to make a PC as alternative of AppleTV.

I have 3 different types of motherboards, all of them are AMD B550 chipset. I created installation flash disk, with Monterey 12.6.3, configured OpenCore. Detailed as below post:

In that post, I requests help for troubleshooting on Colorful B550. In this post, I will continue MSI B550 Unify.

So far, Monterey 12.6.3 installed on this box:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X
MB: MSI B550 Unify
Memory: Kingston 16GB DDR4 3200 *1
HD: WD SN850 PCIE4 SSD 1TB *1 & plugged into the first NvME slot on the board.
GC: AMD RX560
Onboard WiFi and Bluetooth: AX200
Onboard Ethernet: Realtek RTL8125B
Onboard Audio: ALC1220P

And working functions are:
BlueTooth, connect to Gen1 TouchPad, a little bit problem is lost connection when wake up.
Audio: not test too much but earphone working.
Ethernet: work perfectly.
Sleep and wake up: no problem.
Upgrade to Ventura 13.2 via system push: Smoothly. Same WiFi issue as Monterey, see below.

Not tested yet:
AppleID login. And AppStore, iCloud, etc.

Problem:
WiFi doesn't work.

On Monterey I'v tested both AirportItlwm kext versions:
AirportItlwm_v2.1.0_stable_Monterey.kext.zip
AirportItlwm-Monterey-v2.2.0-DEBUG-alpha-e0f745e.zip

Both of them seems not loaded because nothing showing in System Report | WiFi and System Preference | Network, see screen shots below.

On Ventura, same screenshots but this can be predicted because OC and kexts were not updated when system upgrading from Monterey. But I don't care what is going on Ventura because I only need a stable and useful Monterey.

So I need help to solve this WiFi problem.

These is a post takes my attention, MSI MB fixes!!! It is about AMD Vanilla OpenCore patch I guess, but what I don't understand is:

Note for Zen 4: Zen 4 (Ryzen 7000) requires patching for IOPCIFamily.kext.
This patch is enabled by default. Please ensure that you've added it to your current config for Zen 4 stability. This patch also allows MSI A520, B550, and X570 boards to boot macOS Monterey and newer.

Does it mean applying Vanilla patch to OC? Or is there another step to do "patching for IOPCIFamily.kext"?
If only Vanilla patch, it has been in my EFI config.

I did a lot troubleshooting followed AirportItlwm troubleshooting guide but not lucky.

Maybe there is something missing in OC kext or config?

Any advise is appreciated.

Last edited:

adrianz

AMD OS X Member
Surprise! WiFi works. What I did like below:

1) Remove SN850 SSD, and install a Crucial P5 PCIE3.0 NvME 2TB SSD, which has Big Sur installed. I used to run this Big Sur without WiFi problem. EFI was placed in SSD's EFI partition.

2) Using flash disk to install Monterey. The flash disk was used to install Monterey on SN850 successfully.

3) Power on computer, press F11 to choose EFI on the flash disk.

4) EFI partition on Crucial P5 was selected by timeout. Reboot after several seconds manually.

5) press F11 to choose EFI on the flash disk, choose Install Monterey.

6) format Crucial P5 ssd as ASPF/GUID

7) Install Monterey, and this time there is a WiFi icon on the top right corner of the screen. Click it showing connected to my Wi-Fi SSID, which is weird, where it get the SSID and password?

8) Once installation is done. WiFi works at the first time. I tried to set it up, it shows connected to the SSID and then lost a couple of seconds. And then setting up wifi, input password, everything is fine.

So far, WiFi, BlueTooth, Audio, all is working like a charm.

I can't explain what happened, but WiFi fixed. Hope it can help others.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.